Chapter 8.3 ✔︎

The leader knew Jungkook had lost a considerable amount of weight over the past couple of months, but even with Hoseok's information about the way the youngest had severely limited how much he ate, it wasn't until now that he realized how bad things had gotten, how small their maknae had become.

Namjoon couldn't help but panic and drop back onto his face when Jungkook all of a sudden turned away from the closet. There had been no sound when he shoved his head back in the pillows, but the movement had been too abrupt, and it felt like his hands were shaking as he waited to figure out whether or not the action had caught the maknae's attention.

It felt like forever had passed by the time he heard their door forcefully click open, but he still didn't dare to look up – still caught in the last clutches of fear – until he heard the sound of receding footsteps. He got a last glance at Jungkook's bony back and thin arms before the younger disappeared through the now wide-open door.

He knew the younger was going to come back – otherwise he wouldn't have left the door open – and sure enough, only 30 seconds passed – not that he was counting – before the sound of someone coming down the hallway returned, bringing with it the knowledge that the maknae was approaching their room again, and Jungkook reappeared in the doorway, this time wearing a familiar black worn out t-shirt, the same one Seokjin had changed the younger male into earlier when they had been in Hoseok, Jimin, and Taehyung's room. Yoongi's shirt.

The thought hadn't crossed his mind before now, but how come Seokjin hadn't said anything about Jungkook's shrinking frame when they'd been talking with Hoseok? The elder had not only been the only one of them who had seen the younger's chest at that moment, but he had also been the member who had made the most physical contact with the maknae lately – something Taehyung wasn't the most ecstatic about since he was Jungkook's boyfriend, not Seokjin.

He wanted to question the younger about the shirt when the two of them made eye contact, but Jungkook was looking away from him again and moving to close the door before he even got the chance to open his mouth. Since he was already there, Jungkook pressed the light switch as well, throwing the room into almost complete darkness – as a bit of light from the hallway was able to shine into the room because of the tiny opening underneath the door.

Sensing that the younger didn't feel up to speaking, either because he simply didn't want to explain what his obsession with that specific shirt was – other than it being Yoongi's – or because the maknae actually did listen to him earlier and decided it was too late for this conversation, Namjoon moved the question into the box in the back of his mind and shuffled under his covers.

It wasn't easy to see, but the leader did his best to keep his eyes on what he believed to be the outline of Jungkook's body until he heard the younger slink into his bed and the rustle of the other's comforter as he rolled onto his side, facing the wall his bed was pushed up against. The elder kept his eyes on the maknae's form for the following couple of minutes, waiting for the moment the Jungkook stopped moving as much and his breathing evened out – the moment that was supposed to signal that his roommate had fallen asleep – before he let himself roll onto his back and closed his heavy eyelids.

Jungkook had been able to feel Namjoon's uncomfortable stare on the back of his neck, so he'd, in an effort at hopefully making the elder believe that he'd dozed off, tried to keep as still as he possibly could. He didn't know how long actually passed before he heard the first gentle snore leave the leader's mouth, but it felt like an eternity. For the first time in however long, he finally felt like he could relax his tense body and sink into his mattress, and the fear he'd felt, because of the pair of eyes observing him from the other side of the room and the unspoken words the his hyung never got to say, was gone – for the time being.