Clear minds become clouded

Two days later

Kazama's P.O.V

He was only gone for a day and a half. A day and a fucking half; And he was still questioning if leaving her with Izumi was a good idea. The idea was to simply get her used to a few Border agents and have her adapt to everything while he tried to finish this mission. Though he knew that was mostly his own fault. He couldn't deny that it did yield promising results as Mr. Karasawa predicted though he would've preferred if it didn't nearly cost Kamiko's life.

The mission and everything involved with it had bugged him to no end. So many things didn't make sense and they had so little evidence. Yet this small amount provided some answers and more questions. He turned and looked towards the small girl sleeping on his bed. A small part of him wanted to ask her everything, but a large part of him knew that it wasn't the right time. He would only get despair out of her and after what Izumi and Amo told him; he definitely would like to wait until she got more comfortable with everything.

He stood up and walked over to her. Kneeling down he took in the few burns and bruises he could see. All the recorded audio testimonies matched.

"A burn on the ankle in the shape of an iron," he said quietly as he looked at her other leg. "Another burn. Scabbing and constant irritation with a bruise surrounding it."

They both checked out, unfortunately. "You keep on charging into dangers, huh," he said quietly as the door to their squad room opened. He looked towards the individual, Utagawa.

"Sir, the meeting will be starting soon," Utagawa reminded.

Kazama nodded but didn't stand up. He gently pats her head before curling the blanket around her. He took note of how peacefully she slept, curled up around the dragon plushie that Miwa had bought for her. "Utagawa, how are you taking all of this?" He asked as he rose to his feet.

"As best as I can," the brunette said with a somber tone. "If it were up to me, I don't know what I'd do. I don't think I'd be strong enough to make the report."

He stayed silent, only giving his teammate a nod as he made his way out into the hall. With the files in his hand, he quickly had to gather his thoughts. Kamiko, her parents, the recorded audio testimonies, and the few documents that he did have on her family. He had all this but questions were still buzzing in his head. 'What was her home life like before they arrived? Why were Neighbors attacking there? What did her parents do to Kamiko and her siblings?' The more he thought about it the more he hesitated to go to the meeting with such an insufficient report.

"There's no point in second-guessing. Just separate the traitors from the offspring," Kukichihara said from behind him.

"I know," he said without looking back at the sharp-tongued teenager. "It still troubles me, but there's simply nothing more that we can do." He said as he continued walking. Silencing those thoughts as he walked into the meeting. Facing the executives, he bowed. "Commander, my apologies for the delay of our mission."

"Agent Kazama," Commander Kido greeted. "We understand the difficulty of the mission you and your unit had to endure."

"To think that somehow Border traitors would cause such a ruckus," Mr. Rindo said with a certain amount of concern in his tone.

"Agent Kazama, tell me. How many people knew about the girl's parents?" Mr. Karasawa asked.

"Very little. They were worried about the lack of parental supervision when she was dealing with the soldiers on her own. Those who did know were very quiet about the ordeal until the mention of their deaths. Then they were more cooperative," he informed. "Most, however, followed the same belief that the traitors were still a part of Border."