The First Chapter

Start from the beginning

You watched the number rise to '1075' as he grabbed another one. An icon popped up as firework animations played.

"Performance bonus? 100 dollars? What?" You looked over to James with wide eyes and a goofy grin.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow in disbelief.

"Yeah, I don't know. I got 1075 and it said that." You shrugged your shoulders.

"That's- You know what, I'm not going to question it."

You told him to take another, then another, then another. The fourth one he grabbed, you got another 'Performance Bonus!'

"Hell yeah! Grab another one!" you cheered.

You repeated yourself a couple more times, and he kept grabbing balloons. He then stopped, looking to you.

"What? Why'd you stop?" you wondered.

Helpy pointed at the tablet. You looked down, to see that there was an icon with 'Play tokens left: 0' in the top right corner.

"What? There's 'play tokens'? What kind of malarkey is that?" you babbled.

"Considering you get 100 dollars every 1000 Faz-Rating, and that seems too easy to get, I can see how that'd be fair," James stated.

"But- . . . I guess. Why can't I just keep doing it, without the money?" you whined.

"Because it's a waste of time, you'd be doing this all day--because I know you--and it's about time to open."

"Yeah, I suppose so. You know what, you can do that. I'll go where the people aren't--" You stratched the back of your neck, smiling nervously--"We need to order and print things, so I'll do that."

"Of course," he scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, well, fuck you too," you grunted playfully.

He laughed, shooing you off. You stuck your tongue out at him as you walked away. You chuckled as you made your way into the small office. You sighed, plopping into the chair.

You looked around. There were openings to the left and right of you. There were drawings pinned to the walls. You looked to your right, where a drawing of a clown was posted.

"Oh, that's not creepy at all," you grimaced.

"Your restaurant is now officially open. Awesome! That doesn't mean your job is finished, however. You have a lot of work to do while patrons eat their pizza in the other room. From your terminal--"

That was the point in which you zoned out. You knew what you needed to do, and you did it. You started ordering things, waiting impatiently as it slowly loaded each thing. An ad suddenly popped up, startling you.

"Ooh, Jesus- Okay, that wasn't necessary!" You skipped it, grunting. "Is there a volume button on this thing? Jeez!"

"Something to be aware of is that the ventilation system and your terminal are pretty loud, and may prevent you from hearing things in the joining air vents--"

"Oh?" you wondered, raising an eyebrow as you glanced to the vents, shining your flashlight down them.

"That won't be a problem if there is nothing in the vents! However, if you feel something might be in the vents, you have a few tools at your disposal to protect yourself."

"Why is that something I need to worry about? Why is this a thing?"

"You can shut off your terminal and the ventilation at any time to decrease the amount of attention you are drawing to yourself." You switched off the ventilation, and it suddenly became a lot quieter. "Also, shining your light directly into a vent will most likely prevent anything from jumping out."