Black Bear (14)

You wished the last people leaving a ‘good night.' Emily hadn’t come to the pizzeria throughout the whole day. You knew she was sick and was probably too tired to get out of bed, though. What was she sick with, was what made you worry.

“Hey, you good, (Y/N)?” Foxy’s voice snapped you out of it. “You’ve been staring outside for a few minutes.”

“Yeah, I’m okay.” You smiled softly and looked over at him.

He blushed brightly and became flustered. “I don’t care!”

“Wha- You asked,” you sneered, raising an eyebrow.

“I- That was--” he stammered, his eyes darting side to side for an excuse--”Ballora made me!”

“What? No I--”

“Are you guys okay over here?” James questioned as he shuffled over to you.

“I don’t care about (Y/N)! Shut up!” Foxy barked, then scrambled away towards the office.

“. . . What was that all about?” James huffed as he glared back towards him.

“I honestly have no idea. He asked me if I was okay, since I kind of zoned out staring out the doors, and when I told him I was, he got all defensive,” you explained, furrowing your eyebrows and tapping your chin.

Are you okay? You usually stare outside when something’s wrong. Did I do something?” James worried, lowering his head.

“No--”

“Did I say something, then?”

“No, it’s Emily. I’m just worried about her . . . being sick and all.” you told him, scratching the back of your neck.

“Oh. Well, we called the doctor and made an appointment for her. She should be able to get in tomorrow. We think it’s just a cold, though.”

“It probably is, but I’m still worried.”

“I am too. Especially after the pandemic a few years ago, it’s easy to be worried.”

“Should we go ahead and put the chairs up?” Michael asked, although already starting.

“Oh, right, yeah.”

You and James each grabbed a chair and began to help him. You started to think about it, though. Why put the chairs up, when they’re inevitably going to be put back out in a few hours?

“We should get some new chairs,” you thought aloud.

“Hm? Oh, yeah, probably,” James agreed. “In fact, we should probably get new decorations and such.”

“Do you want me to order from the catalogue while I’m in the office? I mean- Unless one of you would rather do it. I know I’ve only been working here for a short while, so I can totally understand if you wouldn’t entrust me with making purchases with your money,” Michael went on.

“Hey, we’re a team now, Michael. We trust you,” you assured him, giving him an earnest smile.

“Oh,” Michael looked away and smiled, “thanks.”

“As long as you leave a few hundred dollars, buy the best possible things, and keep an eye out for any safe bargains, you should do great,” you added, nodding.

“Of course.”

“Erm, anyway, there’s only a few chairs left, and I think you guys can handle it. I’m gonna go check on Foxy, since he seems weird . . . Well, weirder than usual.”

They nodded as you shuffled towards the office. You slowly opened the door and peeked inside warily, making sure none of them were standing in front of it.

“What are you doing?” Foxy snapped, looking at you from the ceiling.

You looked around the door, where Baby was standing in the corner. “Just trying to keep from being jumpscared.”

“You want jumpscared? Stick your head in the vent there,” Baby commented as she leaned against the wall.

“I’d rather she didn’t. She did say she didn’t want to see my face again,” William’s voice made your blood boil.

“I did say that, didn’t I, you bastard!” you barked, slammed your hand against the inside of the vent and causing it to ring throughout the whole system.

“You said nothing about hearing my voice!” he defended himself.

You were about to climb in there, when Baby put her hand in front of you and Molten Freddy put a wire on your shoulder. You glanced back to them and sighed. You glared into the darkness, where you could faintly see William’s outline.

“I was talking about the other vent,” Baby told you.

You looked back with wide eyes. “What’s in the other vent?”

You squinted, trying to look down the vent. You couldn’t see anything, though.

“Dear, that’s your cue.” Ballora gestured to whoever--whatever--was in there to come out.

“Oh, is this the ‘(Y/N)’ you wanted me to introduce myself to?” a hushed voice echoed out of the vent.

“Yes, this is (Y/N),” Baby replied as you glanced to her and Ballora.

A black bear animatronic peeked out of the darkness, glancing to Baby and Ballora as they talked, “Hello, (Y/N). My name’s Lefty.”

“Oh! You’re the animatronic that was in the salvage room! Have you been in the vents since then?”

They looked away. “I guess so . . .”

“You can come out, if you’d like,” you mumbled, worried they were nervous.

“Careful, though, she bites!” Foxy snickered.

“Foxy!” Ballora hissed, punching their arm.

“The hell was that for?” Foxy growled, grabbing it.

“Owie,” Freddy whimpered.

“Sorry, Freddy, but Foxy deserved that one. She doesn’t actually bite, Lefty.”

“Well, unless you’re Foxy. Then I also punch and kick,” you teased, sticking your tongue out at him.

“Fuck you,” he playfully snapped.

“Or you’re a murdering bastard!” you ranted, glaring at William down the other vent.

You could hear him shuffling back, getting farther away from you. As you turned back around, you saw that Lefty had come out some more.

 “What’d he do to you?” Lefty wondered, tilting their head--they seemed to be a little less shy.

“He killed me,” you said matter-of-factly.

Really? He killed me too!”

“Oh, so we have more in common than we thought!” you chuckled. “We both know Afton’s a bastard!”

“That would be a generous term compared to what he’s done,” they noted, and you laughed.

You sat down as you both kept talking. After listing off every reason each of you despised William, there was a knock on the door. Lefty disappeared into the vent as Michael poked his head in the office.

“James is about to go back home, so if you needed a ride, he said he can give you one,” Michael told you, opening the door, “I’ll be staying here for the night shift.”

“Oh, right. I- Uh, I’ll take him up on that ride offer.”

You waved to the others as you slid past Michael. You saw that Freddy was about to say something, when Foxy stopped him, putting a finger to their lips.

Michael followed you to the door, where he locked them behind you after you got outside. James already had the truck backed out, where he was waiting for you.

“Are we doing the same thing?” James asked as you stopped at his window.

You shrugged as you looked back to the pizzeria. “Nah, Michael already went back into the office.”

“Okay . . . You know, if you ever need somewhere to actually live, you can always stay in our guest room,” James mentioned.

You threw a glare at him, before looking away. “I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.”

“. . . Anyway, I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See ya.”

As he drove off, you turned back to the pizzeria. You wondered if Molten Freddy had unlocked the doors yet, but were answered when you tugged at the doors and they didn’t open. You hoped that they didn’t think you had actually left.

You sighed and shoved your hands in your pockets. You looked around, then down at your feet, kicking a pebble.

“. . . Is there some other way to get in?” you mumbled under your breath, glancing around the outside of the building.

There was a vent on the top of the building that you might’ve been able to slip into, but there was no way to get up there. You suddenly remembered that after you died, you were able to float. Thinking on it, you remembered that there was even a time that you could travel through walls and things. It had been so long since you last did any of those things, that you weren’t even sure if you could still do them. Being convinced that none of it happened, you had been embarrassed to even try to do them the last five years.

You jumped when Molten Freddy dropped on the other side of the front doors. They fumbled with the lock, seeming to be trying to pick it. After a few seconds, they opened the door.

“I thought you guys forgot about me,” you chuckled, walking inside.

“Yeah, sorry. Freddy kept getting distracted,” Foxy jeered, rolling his eyes.

You snickered, supposing it was something silly. You looked back, hearing them fiddling with the door again. You watched curiously.

“I’m locking them again so Michael doesn’t start suspecting anything,” Foxy told you, and you nodded.