thirty three

{can't escape}

Jungkook almost couldn't hold himself properly as those words slipped out from Taehyung's lips. They were cold, stern and Jungkook only found his limbs beginning to tremble more violently as he allowed for his brain to process everything. He knew his father was in town... but just hearing it was triggering enough to send Jungkook into a downward spiral. 

From beside him, Taehyung was quick to put the phone back down, finally noticing Jungkook's shaking through the dim city lights that shone through the curtains. "Jungkook?" 

"Just... just give me a moment would you-" Jungkook uttered, placing a hand against his chest as he began to control his own breathing. Taehyung watched on in concern as Jungkook began to steady himself, squeezing his eyes shut as he focused on the rhythm of his heart. 

Wordlessly, Jungkook turned on his feet, catching Taehyung off guard as he began to walk out from the kitchen and into the hallway. Jungkook's legs felt like jelly as he practically wobbled his way towards his room, Taehyung following closely behind, "Kook, you don't have to-"

"-I just need a moment, okay!" He snapped, turning to face Taehyung with a glare before storming over into his room. 

"Jungkook you're-"

"-I'm not!"

Jungkook went to slam his door shut, but was stopped as Taehyung pushed his way inside, "Jungkook you're scared!" He shout, standing with his hands either side of the doorway, "Just admit it already!" Taehyung dropped his arms as he took a step forwards, "Stop denying it..."

Gritting his teeth, Jungkook placed both hands firmly on Taehyung's chest as he tired to push the stubborn male out the door, but Taehyung only fought back, grabbing onto the doorframe to stop himself from moving backwards. Realising that Taehyung wasn't going to budge, Jungkook threw hands, "Cant you just respect that I need some time alone!?"

Taehyung's usually soft expression turned dark, "Cant you just realise that running away will never solve your problems?!" He shout back. 

Jungkook fell silent... because those words truely hit him deep. 

Running away had never solved any of his problems. He ran away from the Jeons to escape from his violent life only to fall straight back into it after a few years. Hiding hadn't solved anything, it had only increased his anxiety as he watched and waited for his father to find him, because even though he had runaway... he had never truely escaped. His mind was still under his father's control. The fear. The guilt.

He took a few slow steps back, stopping when his legs hit the side of his bed and he fell into it. His back collapsed against the mattress as his eyes flickered to the ceiling, and he just stopped and stared at it in silence. 

Taehyung let out a breath, moving away from the doorframe as he made his way over to Jungkook's bed. Wordlessly, he lay himself down next to the younger, the mattress sinking underneath them both as they lay side by side. Taehyung's shoulder brushed against Jungkook's, but the male didn't say anything as they both stared at the ceiling. 

"Sorry." Taehyung mumbled

Jungkook shook his head, "Don't be... I needed someone to tell me that." He listened to Taehyung's soft breathing, feeling comforted by his touch as they lay side by side. Jungkook couldn't help but draw in a sharp breath as he thought back to everything he had ever runaway from, good and bad. 

From beside him, Taehyung rolled on his side to face Jungkook, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah..." Jungkook replied, "I just... recalled something, that's all."