Spoilers : Allen POV (3/6)

[Volume 2 - Chapter 57 of the novel] [chapter 102 of the manhwa]
Allen's POV 3/6

"No."

"Think carefully Allendis of Verita. Do you want to live in your brother's shadow for the rest of your life? Even though you're so much better?"

"..."

"If you join our faction, we will guarantee you the dukedom. Isn't that a reasonable deal? You just have to be our informer."

"...Let me think about it."

The aristocrats had always tried to negotiate behind the scenes, knowing that I was bitterly opposed to my father's choice regarding the heir of our family. It wasn't a bad deal.

The aristocracy, which lacked high ranked nobled, would get a duke on their side who can give steal information from the emperor's faction for them, and I could become the heir of my family.

But it was also a very risky deal. Not only was the current Emperor not such a pushover, but my father was also one of the most powerful men of his time. That's why I was walking a fine line with the aristocracy on hold.

"Tia."

My lady had been out of touch since I heard the Prince had gone down to the Monique estate. An ominous foreboding hit my whole body, but there was no way for me to interfere. My mother and brother desperately stopped me from going down to the Monique lands.

I really wanted to severe the ties between those two. If it weren't for my father's words about what I could and couldn't do, I might have just done so and run away.
When I heard that Tia had come back to the capital I thought she'd come to visit me soon. But days went by and blended into a week. She didn't send me any letter either. When she got sick, I sent her chamdamo tae with a letter, but no reply came.

My lady... Why don't come to see me ? Why don't you even reply? Do you still doubt me? Do you not need me anymore? Are you leaving me? Is that what it is, Tia?

[In Chapter 60 we can see a noble from the aristocracy faction trying to recruit Allen, and Allen burning the letter of Duke Jenna (so clearly refusing the offer) and then asking himself why Tia hasn't contacted him yet.]

***

[The following scene appears in chapter 62]

< Sir Allendis de Verita
I shall be direct.
I would like you to refrain from contacting my daughter. You have not forgotten that she is the Prince's fiancée. Now that she has made her debut in society, I am afraid your interacting with her will lead to false rumors.
You have good sense so I am sure you will understand what I mean.
Keirean la Monique. >

This letter from the Marquis, the father of the girl, made me snap. You want me to refrain from interacting with her? The Prince's fiancée?! Tia has always been all mine. She was my life.
F*ck you.

I was going to spare you as much as I could because you were her father. And for my lady, who must be absolutely loyal to the emperor, I was going to be quietly in the shadow of the emperor's faction, even if I didn't like it. But I have changed my mind.
Monique, I'm going to break you. If your daughter is left alone, it'll be easier to bring her by my side. I didn't like sharing my little girl's blind obsession anyway.

***

[This scene appears in chapter 88]

"I'll join you."

"Good, Allendis. You won't regret it."

As I joined the aristocracy faction, I smiled brightly as people welcomed me warmly.
Wait, my lady. I'm getting ready to bring you in little by little.