𝟏𝟒 • reflections on a past life

(trigger warning: descriptions and mentions of self-harm)

┏━━━━♞♜♠♚♥♛♠♜♞━━━━┓
CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
"REFLECTIONS ON A PAST LIFE"
┗━━━━♞♜♠♚♥♛♠♜♞━━━━┛

SOME PEOPLE JUST AREN'T worth saving.

That was the last thing Maureen said to Alíz before she left the apartment that morning. The blonde girl was going to leave to get prepared for later that night when Maureen stopped her.

It was barely four o'clock in the morning, the sun still hadn't risen from its hiding place, and the apartment was dead silent. Alíz was approaching the front door when she heard a pair of light footsteps behind her; she turned to see Maureen in her pajamas, rubbing her tired eyes. Alíz almost didn't want to leave at the sight of the other girl. The only thing Alíz had ever wanted in her life was a friend, a real friend. At first, she was disillusioned by the thought of Jerome and his charming nature, but looking at Maureen now, Alíz felt her stomach do somersaults at the idea of never seeing her again. She never remembered feeling this kind of feeling before and it scared her.

As the raven-haired girl walks up to her with her puffy eyes and disheveled hair, she looks beautiful all the same. "Where are you going?" Maureen asks with her scratchy, coarse morning voice. Alíz turns her body all the way to face her, "I have to get prepared for later tonight, at the gala." She readjusts the small bag on her shoulder, avoiding eye contact with the other girl for too long. Maureen notices this and takes her cheek in her hand, turning it to look into her green eyes. "Why are you so hell-bent on rescuing Jerome?"

There goes that question again.

Alíz shifts her weight onto her right leg. In truth, Alíz wasn't so sure she truly even knew the answer to that question. Why do I want to help Jerome? Her mind wanders to that question as she tries to search for an answer that seemed even a little plausible. After a long pause, the girl found a somewhat conceivable response, "I have to try. If there's even a sliver of hope in getting back the boy I knew, I'm taking it." She says pointedly, confidently, but still unsure. Maureen looked like she believed her words as much as Alíz did, "Right." Her expression was concerned, "Because it's not like Jerome didn't destroy you as the twins ruined me."

Alíz was taken aback at this.

"What?"

Maureen crosses her arms, now having more energy in her body than before. "From what you told me, Jerome manipulated you into thinking he was the only person who could ever love you."

What.

"What are you talking about?" Alíz was genuinely confused, not wanting to believe what Maureen was telling her. "Alíz. He met you when you were at your most vulnerable, at the lowest point in your life and he made you believe he was the light you needed to drive away your darkness. Did he not?" The blonde girl was rendered silent, mouth slightly agape. Maureen was right. He toyed with her, and Alíz had let him do so. The girl closed her mouth, looking away from Maureen's piercing eyes.

"I have to go." Alíz turns to place her hand on the doorknob when she feels Maureen's arms wrap around her before she could do anything. The black-haired girl buries her head in Alíz's shoulder, hugging her tightly, begging her not to leave. The other girl only stood there, unmoving. Alíz placed her hovering hand on Maureen's arm which wrapped around her waist, but she didn't have the heart to remove it.