𝟎𝟑 • hello, arkham asylum

┏━━━♞♜♠♚♥♛♠♜♞━━━┓
CHAPTER THREE:
"HELLO, ARKHAM ASYLUM"
┗━━━♞♜♠♚♥♛♠♜♞━━━┛

IT WAS ABOUT MIDDAY when Alíz asked for directions to the GCPD. She tried her best to remember her way around the rowdy city. After an hour or so, Alíz found herself at the door of the GCPD. She opened the double doors and walked into the bustling precinct. At this point, Alíz had no clue where to go or what she was doing.

She approached the first police officer she could find and asked them where she could find Detective Bullock. They pointed to his desk and Alíz walked up to it. Nobody was there at the moment, so she just stood there and hoped someone could tell her whatever was going on. A few minutes of waiting later, she spotted Detective Gordon walking up to his desk which was conveniently next to Detective Bullock's desk.

Alíz felt relieved to see the man. She walked up to his desk and immediately started asking questions. "Detective Bullock called me and said I needed to be here before Thursday. What's the meaning of all this?" Jim Gordon took a minute to process her question and began to answer it carefully. "So, the reason we had Bullock call you was because Jerome had a really bad accident."

Dread festered in the pit of her stomach when she heard the words come out of his mouth. "W-What happened..." She stutters as she tries to process what he was telling her. "He was pushed out of the moving Arkham transport truck by a guard who was fired as soon as we heard of this incident," Gordon said the last part to reassure the girl, but it didn't work. Alíz shakes her head, "Glad that you told me but what am I supposed to do about that? Why did you call me of all people?"

"We called you because you're our only way to help Jerome," said a familiar voice from behind her. Alíz turns around to find another detective standing just behind her. He extended his hand, "I'm Detective Bullock, we talked on the phone." Alíz shook his hand, "Nice to meet you in the flesh." They shook hands and asked Alíz to sit down as they further discuss the situation. "We need you because you are one of the only people who have been closest to Jerome all these years." Alíz listened to this, but she still couldn't understand why the detectives needed her.

"I still don't understand why I'm useful in this situation, though," Alíz asks impatiently. "We're getting to that," Bullock says as he gestures to Gordon to explain the rest. "Well since Jerome has suffered a really bad case of memory loss, we were hoping to send you into Arkham to monitor him as he recovers," The detective exhaled, "We'll place you in Arkham as a patient, and you will be undercover."

"Are you up for it?"

Alíz just stared at the detectives for a few moments. She was trying to consider what they were asking of her and the possible impacts of her doing this. So many scenarios ran through her head and none of the outcomes were good. She felt as if nothing good could come out of the situation if she decided to monitor Jerome in Arkham. But if she didn't do this herself, who knows what the outcome could be.

"Fine. I'll do it." Alíz couldn't believe the words that had come out of her mouth when they did. "Oh, that's great! We knew we could count on you for this," Gordon says, glad that we had reached an agreement. "Now all we have to do is get you into Arkham by Thursday."

They said this as if Alíz's task would be easy... The one thought on the front of her mind was if she could really handle this or if she was just complying because she didn't want to let the detectives down. Either way, she was going through with it.