𝟏𝟑 • atreus and thyestes

(trigger warning: physical/emotional abuse, neglect)

┏━━━♞♜♠♚♥♛♠♜♞━━━┓
CHAPTER THIRTEEN:
"ATREUS AND THYESTES"
┗━━━♞♜♠♚♥♛♠♜♞━━━┛

ALÍZ SAT PROPPED UP against the arm of a couch. As she opened her eyes slightly, she didn't recognize her surroundings. At first, she was alarmed at the unfamiliarity, but the events of the previous hours came rushing back to her. M. Ramos. I found her. This place must've been the inside of Maureen's apartment. That was her name, right? Maureen?

Alíz questioned herself for a moment before saying fuck it and just going with it. It took a bit for Alíz's vision to readjust from its former blurriness, but when it did, the girl finally got a good look around the apartment. It was small but somewhat secure and almost friendly, in a way. Maureen came rushing out of a room with bandages, alcohol, and cotton balls in hand. Alíz looked at her skeptically, what did she need all of that for? Maureen seemed to have read her expression perfectly because she spoke up with, "This is for your injuries, which you failed to mention over the intercom." The taller girl's annoyed tone made Alíz lift an eyebrow.

"Sorry, I must've skipped over that section in your roommate application," Alíz says sarcastically which earned her a quick eye roll from the raven-haired girl. Maureen kneels to Alíz's level on the couch to meet her eyes, "I need you to take off your jeans. Slowly." The blonde girl nods in response and complies with her order. She slowly peels off the blood-soaked jeans from her legs with pained groans escaping her lips. As she pulled off the jeans, the pain was so intense that it felt like Alíz was stripping the skin right off of her legs.

Maureen helps take the jeans off of her ankles, surveying the damage on her legs. Her eyes glanced over the extreme scrapes on her shins, "Get on your stomach." The tall girl orders once more, and Alíz obeyed. As Alíz laid on her stomach, she felt the scrapes on her shins sting slightly at the odd material of the couch. She blinks the pain away, trying to make this easier for Maureen. The other girl begins applying alcohol to Alíz's bullet wounds causing the blonde to wince at the pain but refuse to make a single noise; she couldn't stand to show any sort of weakness.

Maureen places large bandaids onto the two separate bullet holes in her calf and ordered Alíz to turn over once again. The girl plopped down on her back with a small thud and can look at Maureen again. The fair-skinned girl pinches her eyebrows in concentration as she examines her damaged shins. Maureen stood to retrieve a cloth from a nearby room and proceeded to dribble it with alcohol. Before placing anything on her legs, the girl looks at her, "This is gonna hurt a lot worse than a few seconds ago." Alíz nods her head, shutting her eyes in preparation for the oncoming pain.

The fiery sensation of alcohol devastated her shins. Even though the cloth was only dabbed on her skin softly, the alcohol against Alíz's shins felt like absolute hellfire. The blonde inhales sharply and exhales evenly, wanting to get this over with as soon as possible. As Maureen was cleaning Alíz's wounds further, Alíz notices how calm the other girl is. Any other person in her situation would've phoned an ambulance and called it a day. But no, she decided to help a stranger bleeding out on her front doorstep.

Yes, good people do exist, sometimes. But it is Gotham City after all, everyone is just looking out for themselves, saving their own skins no matter what.

Maureen finished cleaning her wounds and began to wrap her legs in long bandages. If Alíz didn't want the situation to become even more awkward than it already was, she probably would've cracked a cheesy joke about her legs looking nearly mummified. Once Maureen finished with the bandages, she pulled Alíz up into a sitting position to inspect her face. The raven-haired girl's clean hands felt soft and pleasant as they ran over Alíz's face full of cuts and bruises. The blonde girl almost wanted to melt into her somewhat affectionate hands, but she managed to restrain herself from moving any more than she needed to.