Chapter 13 (Y): Family

I own nothing
Chapter 13: Baby Steps
Winter finally ended and spring was in full bloom. Tai had been more than a little frustrated with (Y/N) after Ruby disappeared, but there was nothing they could do, so they focused their attention on training and Yang. The blonde girl had started to open up to the little dragon boy again and was no longer only sulking in her room. Currently, she was inside with Zwei watching television while (Y/N) was outside training. The kid had made great strides in his combat abilities, though he still couldn't use his semblance. Tai had set up a small training spot with a few wooden dummy posts (its the one with the moving pegs you're supposed to strike) so he could not only practice his strikes but blocking and weaving through attacks. (Y/N) practice the maneuvers Tai had showed him over and over again, even making use of his tail, which had become much stronger throughout the training. He huffed in exhaustion as he had been training all morning. He had had another nightmare about the Fall the previous night and just wanted to get the edge off.
"Your stance is off," A voice told him. The boy stopped and turned to see Tai approaching the house with several boxes. "Your feet need to be separated more, and your not guarding your face,"
"Oh right," (Y/N) quickly adjusted his stance and struck the dummies again. Tai nodded in satisfaction.
"Better. You're getting stronger, I can tell you that much. Have you been out here all day?" (Y/N) nodded, walking away from the training ground and wiping the sweat with a towel he had with him. He trotted up to Tai.
"Yeah, I just needed to clear my head," Tai looked at him sternly.
"You know, running yourself ragged won't help you,"
"And sitting around doing nothing won't help me get stronger or teach me how to control my semblance," Tai sighed.
"Please tell me you didn't try again. I've told you a thousand times (Y/N), I don't want you to activate it with no one around. You've already passed out by overexerting yourself,"
"I didn't! I promise! Do you need help?"
"Just get the door,"
(Y/N) ran ahead and opened up the door for the older male.
"I'm home!" Tai called. Yang didn't get up from the couch and just leaned her head back to see the two males walk in.
"Hey dad,"
"Guess what came in today!" He asked enthusiastically as he and (Y/N) walked towards the kitchen.
"What?"
"I can't wait for you to try this!" Tai dropped all the bags and boxes, save for one long white one with the Atlas military logo on it.
"What's that?" (Y/N) asked.
"You'll see," Tai brought it over to Yang and set it down on the coffee table. Yang just stared at it. "Well?"
"It's...for me?" Yang asked. Tai smiled and nodded.
"For you and you only," Yang hesitated for a moment before opening the box. Inside with a mechanical arm, sleek and brand new. (Y/N) looked at it in astonishment at how shiny it was.
"Brand new, state of the art Atlas tech," Tai explained. "You know, I thought I was gonna have to pull some strings, call in a few favors, but you earned this one all on your own kiddo," (Y/N) snapped his fingers.
"Oh yeah! I remember General Ironwood mentioning it back at the hospital!"
"Yup. He wanted me to tell you that you fought admirably, both of you did. You should be proud of yourselves," Yang didn't say anything and just looked away.
"Well? You gonna try it on,"
"Yeah Yang!" (Y/N) said happily. "You and me can test it out with a spar! I can show you how good I'm getting!" She shook her head.
"I ugh, I'm not feeling too great right now. Maybe later?" Both males looked at each other in disappointment but a Tai just sighed.
"Well alright,"
Yang got up and began to walk back upstairs to her room. She stopped half way.
"Thanks dad," She continued her trek upstairs. When was no longer in sight, (Y/N) slumped against the couch, depressed and defeated.
"Is she ever coming back?" He asked the blonde male.
"She'll recover (Y/N), but it's gonna take time,"
"Everyone keep saying that, but everyday it seems more and more like she's never gonna snap out of it," Tai rubbed his head, mindful of his horns which were actually starting to grow.
"I know buddy, but you can't just snap out of it. Remember when you first got to Beacon? You needed time to adjust and recover, and even then, you still have nightmares about what you went through, right?"
"Yeah,"
"I know it's hard and you just want your sister back, but Yang has to do this at her own pace. You also have to understand she isn't going to be the same person after this,"
"I know,"
"Good," he bumped the boy on his arm. "Come on, back to training. Your form still needs work,"
(Timeskip)
The days roll by slowly. Whenever (Y/N) wasn't training, he was usually helping Yang with her chores. He was helping Yang clean and dry the dishes. Yang, not paying attention, bumped into his tail and in surprise, dropped the glass, shattering it. She gasped in shock and backed away in terror, breathing heavily.
"Yang!?" (Y/N) asked worriedly. He could tell what she was thinking about, considering this wasn't the first time it had happened. Yang didn't say anything. (Y/N) silent scooted next to her, and though she flinched away at first, she eventually grabbed hold of him and hugged him tight. (Y/N) said nothing as he curled his arms and wings around her. Unbeknownst to Yang or Tai, the little dragon had also seen things from time to time. During training, he swore he could see bright red hair and that horrible mask, and the next second it was gone. His heart would race and his body tensed and it would take several minutes of heavy breathing for him to finally loosen up. But that didn't seem as important as helping Yang right now. When they had first met, she and the rest of Team RWBY had protected him from his nightmares, now it was his turn to protect Yang.
(Timeskip)
Yang woke up in the night, scared to death by a nightmare. She gasped but made no sudden movements. She hadn't woken up (Y/N), luckily, who was curled up beside her in what seemed like a peaceful sleep. Slowly, she sat up and gazed at the mechanical arm, unsure of what to feel about it. She then heard laughter from downstairs and decided to find out what it was. She quietly crept out of the room and closed the door so (Y/N) wouldn't be woken up by the noise. As Yang walked downstairs, she heard a very familiar voice laughing.
"And-and-and then, in comes Qrow, wearing a skirt! I was just a T.A. I...I didn't know what to do, so I just left the room to laugh!"
Yang walked into the kitchen to find Professor Port, Professor Oobleck, and her dad just chanting and laughing. Tai continued the story.
"Yeah, we told him it was a kilt, he'd never worn a uniform before so he didn't know," Oobleck cackled.
"That is terrible! What is wrong with you!?"
"Hey! The girls all said he had nice legs! I did that jerk a favor! Besides, that's not even the best part! See, then we-," Port cut him of be putting a leg on the table.
"Like what you see?" They all burst out laughing and Port fell over. Yang chuckled, and the males finally noticed her. Port got up, embarrassed. "Oh, um, Miss Xiao Long! Please, join us,"
"Yes, yes'm pull up a chair. Please pull up a chair," Oobleck insisted as she walked past them.
"I'm good. So what are you doing here?"
"Despite popular belief, teacher do have a life outside the classroom,"
"Professor Goodwitch is working around the clock to restore Beacon to its former glory. But Mistral wasn't built in a day, and we all need some rest from time to time,"
"Look, let's not worry about that right now," Tai interjected. "So, there we were, standing in the auditorium, looking at Qrow wearing a skirt! Then Oz tells everyone: 'It's time to work on our landing strategy!'" They all laughed again.
"The Branwen twins have always been...interesting, to say the least," Oobleck pointed out.
"That sure didn't seem to stop young Tai," Port teased. Tai wasn't happy about it.
"Hey, come on man, she's right here!" He motioned to Yang. Port waved it off.
"Oh please! She's a mature young woman. If she can handle combat, she can handle a few jabs at her old man,"
"That's not the issue Pete, and besides, she's still a teenager,"
"'She' is also in the room and can be directly spoken to," Yang argued while jumping off the counter. "And 'I' think I've been through enough to be considered an adult at this point. I did help raise a child,"
"Adult or not, you still got a long way to go before you're ready for the real world,"
"Oh my gosh! Does ever father figure just have the same 3 condescending phrases?" The two were butting heads by this point.
"Yeah, but we only use them when we mean it!" The Professor we're getting uncomfortable.
"Is that so?"
"As a matter of fact it is so! If you honestly think that you're ready to go out there on your own...well, guess you lost some brain cells along with that arm," Everyone was taken back in shock, waiting for Yang's outburst, only to have her punch her dad's shoulder.
"You jerk!" They laughed and Oobleck leaned in.
"Are we finally talking about the Goliath in the room?" Tai and Yang just laughed harder before the teachers joined in.
"Miss Xiao Lo- Yang, if you don't mind me asking, why haven't you tried on the arm yet?"
"Oh, yes, yes! A piece of Atlas technology being given out like that is rare indeed, not to mention the effort it took to deliver it here. It seems a great many people want to see you return to normal," Yang looked away.
"I'm...scared. Everyone keeps talking about me getting back to normal and I appreciate it. But..this is normal now. It's just...taking me a while to get used to it,"
"Well," Tai tried to argue. "Normal is what you make of it,"
"What is that supposed to mean?" Yang asked, getting defensive. "Do you want me to just pretend like nothing happened? I lost a part of me. A piece of me is gone and it's never coming back,"
"You're right," Tai admitted. "It's not coming back. But that doesn't have to stop you from becoming who you want to be. You're Yang Xiao Long, my sunny little dragon," he put his hand on her shoulder. "You can do whatever you put your mind to. So whenever you're ready to stop moping, and get back out there, I'll be there for you. And I know someone else who'll be waiting for you too,"
"I..."
"Fear is like any other emotion, it comes and goes," Port encouraged. "It's all in how you handle it. Why, even I find myself wrestling with that emotion from time to time,"
"Really? You?"
"He's afraid of mice," whispered Oobleck.
"They bring only disease and famine!" Yang cracked up as he went on a rant, much to the relief of her dad. When Port was finally done, he realized how ridiculous he sounded and quickly tried changing the subject.
"Erm, um, oh! How is young (Y/N)?"
"Yes, yes, I'm very curious as well to learn how he's adjusted. It mustn't been easy for him,"
"Actually, he got used it pretty quick," Yang informed them.
"That's good to hear," stated the coffee addicted doctor. "Has he continued his combat training?"
"I've taken over," Tai stated proudly. "And he's definitely and fast learned. He getting better faster than I ever thought. His tail's a lot stronger, he's got a lot of stamina, and his horns are even starting to get longer,"
"Ah, a sign of the irrefutable hands of time," stated Oobleck. "If one thing can be attested to the young dragon, it's how adaptable his is,"
"Indeed,"
"I better go check on him," Yang said, heading for the kitchen exit. "He gets restless when no one's around,"
"We best leave as well," Oobleck admitted as he and Port headed for the door. Tai followed them out and Yang waved goodbye.
"Good night," she headed towards her room and opened the door. She saw the small dragon still curled up, though his face was scrunched up and he was whimpering quietly. She rushed over to him and gently combed her fingers through his hair. He immediately relaxed and moved towards Yang's warmth. She smiled slightly and got back into bed. (Y/N) cuddled into her side with a smile on his face. Yang looked down at him. Had he gotten bigger? Had his horns always been so sharp? She was forced to admit to herself that her baby dragon was growing up. She didn't think much else and quickly fell asleep.
(Timeskip)
The next morning, (Y/N) was helping Tai with the flowers while play fetch with Zwei. As he launched a ball with his tail, Tai glanced at him.
"You know you use that thing like its a third arm or something," the boy grinned.
"Sun says it might as well be," the door to the house opened and Yang stepped outside, wearing the new arm. (Y/N) smiled happily while Tai nodded.
"Okay,"