Chapter 9: Lesson Learned and Never Miss A Beat

I own nothing
Chapter 9: Training and Tournament Rounds
Both Schnee sisters, joined by (Y/N), were enjoying tea and appetizers in a garden on campus. The young dragon had never been to this area of the Academy, but he'd be sure to sneak off next chance he got. He liked it here. It was peaceful and he especially liked the small fountain. As the girls spoke, Winter revealed that she had to leave soon.
"You're leaving?" Weiss asked sadly as her older sister set down her cup.
"Yes. I was merely needed to oversee the transport of additional units to Vale. Our last shipment was lost to an ambush. I believe you had a run in with it's cargo, actually,"
"Hmm? When was that?" (Y/N) inquired. Weiss patted him on the head.
"Right before we found you sweetie. Honestly I'm grateful you weren't with us when that happened,"
"It's fortunate those Paladins were still in the prototype stage. Otherwise your team may not have faired so well," (Y/N) pouted.
"The girls are strong! No way they'd loose to a machine!" Winter raised a brow at him, causing him to immediately freeze up. Luckily she smiled a little and nodded.
"Perhaps," she then took Weiss's hand. "Weiss, you've done...well...out here on your own. You should feel proud. I'll be honest, it was quite amusing seeing father's face the day you left for Beacon," (Y/N) tilted his head a bit. He had never really heard Weiss talk about her dad. Did they not like each other? Weiss sat up proudly.
"I can't wait to show him what I've learned,"
"Oh? And what do you think you've learned," Winter asked in amusement.
"What do you mean? I'm getting better and better with my glyphs. I've even started time dilation,"
"And what of your summoning?" (Y/N) eyes widened.
"Summoning? What's that?" Winter cast a side glance at the boy.
"Oh, so you haven't told him yet?" Weiss broke their locked gazes.
"I...you know I can't,"
"Don't be ridiculous. Every Schnee has the ability to summon. We have for generations,"
"I've tried!" Weiss insisted while the little one became more and more confused. "It's just...it's the one thing I'm having trouble with!"
"Um, what is summoning?" (Y/N) asked again unsure. Winter turned to him.
"We Schnees are unique (Y/N). You are aware of what semblances are correct?" He nodded.
"Yes,"
"Well, unlike many, our semblance is hereditary, meaning the same one is passed down through our family,"
"Oh," Winter looked back at Weiss.
"But that doesn't mean that it will come easily. Your semblance is like a muscle: the more you practice with it, the stronger it will become," She summoned a glyph in her hand. "But if you only focus on one aspect of it, if you fail to test the limits of what you think is possible," the Glyph flashed as the two were forced to look away. Turning back, (Y/N) nearly fell out of his chair as he saw a glowing white Beowulf standing behind Winter. It knelt it's head as Winter pet it. "Then you'll never truly grow,"
"That's amazing!" (Y/N) said. Winter nodded.
"Indeed. Summons allow us Schnees to call upon beings we've defeated,"
"That's awesome!" (Y/N) exclaimed while touching the summon. It was unsurprisingly frosty to the touch. "Is it just Grimm though, or can you summon other things?" Winter smiled.
"Perceptive. No, our summons aren't limited to Grimm, just beings we've slain. Like the birds I summoned in the courtyard,"
"Wow," Winter looked at Weiss.
"Perhaps a lesson is in order. Pick up your weapon," She instructed. Weiss grabbed her rapier and walked to the center of the structure. Under Winter's instruction, she summoned a large white glyph. (Y/N) watched from the table.
"Excellent form," Winter announced. "Now think to your fallen foes! The ones that force you to push yourself past who you were and become who you are now. Think of them, and watch how they come to your side," Weiss became frustrated as the glyph spun faster and flickered. She broke it off.
"I can't!" Winter smacked her on the head.
"Stop doubting yourself!"
"I'm trying!"
"If this is what you call trying, then you have no hope of winning the Tournament, let alone making it as a Huntress. Why don't you just move back home? I'm sure father will give you a nice job as a receptionist," (Y/N) dug his claws into the table. He was scared to death of Winter, but he definitely wasn't gonna let her talk to Weiss that way. Weiss glared away.
"I don't need his charity,"
"But you do need his money, don't you?" Weiss's eyes widened.
"What!? How did you know about that!?"
"Lucky guess. I may have been in a similar situation when I joined the military. So what have you done this time?" Winter walked around Weiss as her sister tried to explain.
"Well that's the thing, I'm really not sure. I went to pay for lunch the other day, and my card didn't work,"
"How embarrassing,"
"I know!" Winter shook her head while Weiss clenched her hands.
"Well it was! Why would he cut me off like that?"
"Perhaps so you'd stop avoiding him and call home," Weiss clenched her teeth and angrily called back the glyph. Winter walked back to her.
"Emotions can grant you strength, but you must never let them overpower you," Weiss calmed down and the glyph disappeared. "It sounds to me like you have two choices in front of you. You can either call him, beg for his money back and explain once more why you want to study at Beacon over Atlas, or...you could continue to explore Remnant. Discovering more about the world, and honestly, more about yourself," Winter smiled and hugged Weiss before turning to (Y/N), who stiffened up.
"As for you, young man, it's your turn,"
"M-mine?" She smirked.
"Of course. I said I wanted to gauge your abilities and," she looked at Weiss again. "Teaching ability can also reveal one's skill level. Come," She marched outside and (Y/N) hesitantly followed. The older Schnee stood on one end of the field and raised her sword.
"Now, have you had any real combat experience?" He shook his head.
"N-no. I mean I fought a Grimm on patch but it was-,"
"Then yes, you have," He gulped and hesitantly nodded. Weiss stood in front of him protectively.
"Winter, I don't think he's-," She motioned for Weiss to quiet down.
"Babying him will not allow his skills to grow. You were only a little older than he was when you began training. Now, stand aside," Weiss hesitantly moved out of the way.
"What type of Grimm did you fight?"
"A-a Beowulf. But it wasn't that big!"
"Irrelevant. Do you fight with any sort of weapon? A sword? Anything?" He shook his head.
"No, I-I prefer fighting with my claws," Winter smiled and nodded.
"I see, melee then. Very well, I think I have a good point of reference then,"
"Winter, what are you going to do?" Weiss asked wearily. The older Schnee summoned the Beowulf from before and pointed her sword at the boy.
"(Y/N), you will defeat this opponent. Do it in anyway you can," Weiss eyes widened.
"Wait, Winter, you shouldn't-," She didn't get to finish as the Beowulf charged. (Y/N) rolled out of the way instinctually to escape the swiping claws.
"(Y/N)!" Weiss called out as the boy dodged the slow blows of the creature. Winter nodded.
"Good, your faster than I gave you credit for. Let's see those skills of yours," the Beowulf became faster and knocked (Y/N) away. He tumbled back to his feet and flew up to avoid his pouncing opponent. He then dove down and clawed the side of the creature's face. It growled and tried to round on him, but (Y/N) had already flown out of range and began pelting the field with fire. The summon dodged best it could, but the boy had become an accurate shot thanks to training with Ozpin. Small trails of fire burned and (Y/N) landed again. The summon charged again. Before it jumped at him, (Y/N) veered to one side, making his pounce into one of the fires. It howled in pain and wretched from the flames, staggering and burned. Knowing it was weak enough now, he whipped his tail straight into its muzzle, sending it to the ground before finishing it off with his claws. The beast dissolved and looked back at the girls. Weiss looked at him in shock but smiled with pride. He was getting better, and fast. Winter, on the other hand, had her eyes close and was nodding.
"Your form in wild and reckless, you lack control in your strikes, and your fire breathing isn't precise enough. However," she smiled. "That was passable...for a novice," (Y/N) nodded.
"Thank you,"
"That wasn't a compliment. Like Weiss, you have much to learn," she turned to her sister. "You and friends are doing an acceptable job with teaching him the basics. However, you should look into having him train with a professional," Weiss nodded.
"Of course," Winter walked up and hugged her.
"I have to go now Weiss. Take care,"
"It was really good to see you Winter,"
"Until next time sister, and you," she pointed to (Y/N). "I expect you to improve," the dragon nodded as they headed out. By the time, Winter had gotten on a ship and left, it was night time. They watched as her ship left. Weiss's scroll began to ring and she opened it to see it was her father.
"Are you gonna answer it?" (Y/N) asked. With a smile, Weiss closed it.
"Nope," she picked him up and walked back to the school. "Come on, its bed time,"
(Timeskip)
The next day, the team and (Y/N) were back in the arena for the doubles round. They had just witness Penny and her partner, Ciel, annihilate their opponents. Ruby and (Y/N) rushed down to greet her.
"Penny!" Ruby greeted. The girl turned to the two and smiled happily.
"Ruby!" She cheered before tackling her silver eyed friend. (Y/N) stepped out of the way as they tumbled.
"Why..." Ruby moaned as they both got to their feet.
"Ruby, (Y/N), this is my teammate," Penny stated.
"Ciel Soleil," the girl introduced herself. Ruby waved at her.
"Hi I'm Ru-,"
"Ruby Rose, 15, hails from Patch. Leader of Team RWBY. Status: questionable," Ciel stated. (Y/N) shifted his feet a bit.
"That's weird," Ciel studied him.
"I don't believe I have any information on you. A spectator perhaps?" He shook his head.
"I live here at Beacon with Team RWBY. My name's (Y/N) Rose Xiao Long," (Y/N) hesitantly shook her hand while Ruby looked skeptical.
"Sooo...Penny you two were incredible out there! How do you keep control of all those swords!? It's so cool-!" Ciel cut in.
"Penny! I believe it is best if we move on to our next location,"
"Could we have just a minute to talk?" Penny requested. Ciel checked their schedule before moving back.
"So is she... your friend or..."
"Well, in a way. She's like Blake," Penny explained. "But if Blake was ordered to spend time with you,"
"Oh, so Weiss,"
"Precisely!"
"Does she know about," Ruby stopped herself before looking at (Y/N). "Uh, (Y/N), why don't you go to the fair grounds and take a look around the stands?" He tilted his head in confusion.
"Why?"
"Uh, because you need to learn to be... more independent with your exploring! Now go!" She gave him some money and pushed him off. "But no leaving the grounds or talking to strangers! Oh, and be back in time for Weiss and Yang's fight!"
"Alright, bye Penny!" He said before heading to the grounds. It was bustling and relatively busy. (Y/N) looked around for a bit, wondering if he should play a few games or something.
"Hey (Y/N)!" Someone yelled. He turned to see Emerald and Mercury walking towards him. He smiled.
"Hey Emerald! Hey dum dum!" Mercury scowled.
"What did you call me?" The boy stuck his tongue out at the other male.
"You always call me runt, so that's what I'm gonna call you," Emerald snorted.
"You better knock it off runt," Mercury warned. (E/C) eyes were rolled.
"I'm not scared of you Mercury! You're just as bad as Cardin, and I haven't been scared of him since I set his pants on fire in the cafeteria,"
"That was you!?" Emerald said, a little impressed. "I was wondering why he was sent to nurse's blubbering like a baby! Not bad (Y/N)," She gave him a high five which the boy kindly accepted. It was then Emerald took notice of the charm bracelet.
"Hey, this is new! Where'd you get it?" The dragon smiled and held it up proudly. He had actually gotten a few more charms from Team CFVY.
"Everyone gave it to me as a birthday present!"
"I didn't know it was your birthday,"
"Well, it actually isn't, but I don't remember my real one, so everyone decided to give a new birthday. There's one charm for each of my family!"
"Seriously? A charm bracelet? That's baby stuff," (Y/N) hissed at him.
"Proves I have more friends than you, dum dum," Emerald didn't hide her laugh as Mercury looked ready to murder the little boy.
"Well mister sassy pants, any reason you're down here?"
"Ruby sent me exploring. Something about being independent,"
"Good, you need to learn not to cling to mommy's skirt," Mercury said harshly. (Y/N) gritted his teeth.
"Emerald, I'm gonna set him on fire," Emerald placed a hand over his mouth.
"Please don't sweetie, we need him in the next round," he pouted. "Alright, how about instead Mercury and I both get you a charm for your bracelet?"
"What!? I'm not doing that!" Mercury complained. Emerald pushed him.
"Too bad, this is what you get for starting fights with little kids and then getting your butt verbally handed to you," (Y/N) laughed and followed them. Under Emerald's force, Mercury begrudgingly gave the boy a winged sandal charm while Emerald gave him a mirror charm, though unbeknownst to the boy, they had stolen them.
"Thanks you two," (Y/N) said gratefully. Emerald patted his head.
"Don't mention it. Happy birthday (Y/N)," (Y/N) hugged her, and while she was hesitant, she did return it eventually. After he broke it off, Emerald nudged him back towards the arena. "I'm pretty sure Yang and Weiss are up soon. You better head back,"
"Aren't you guys gonna watch?"
"We've got our own fights to worry about runt," Emerald rolled her eyes.
"Ignore him. Anyways, you better get going,"
"Alright, bye guys! Thanks for the charms!" He rushed off into the crowd and Mercury glared at Emerald.
"What was that about?"
"What?"
"I thought you hated all that nice, cutesy stuff,"
"Oh come on, he's a kid, a cute little kid," Emerald insisted. "Even I'm not that unmoving. Besides," she smirked. "We should be trying to gain his trust," Mercury crossed his arms.
"You really think that brat's gonna stay all nice with you after we take him to her?"
"He'll thank us later," Emerald insisted as they walked off in the other direction.
(Timeskip)
(Y/N) jumped back into his seat just as Weiss and a Yang took to the field.
"Did I miss anything?" He asked.
"Nope, you're just in time!" Ruby said as Oobleck and Port announced the match. Both girls stood tall in the ring before being completely caught off guard by their opponents, a jazzy looking boy with a trumpet and a vibrant faunus on roller skates. (Y/N) didn't know what to make of it.
"Um, Blake, what am I supposed to feel about this?"
"Confusion (Y/N)," the girl responded, just as puzzled. "Confusion is fine,"
Right before the fight started, (Y/N) could barely make out the sounds of the opposing team taunting the girls and Yang especially getting angry. Ruby couldn't hear the fighting, but she definitely could see her sister get mad.
"Oh boy here we go,"
"Ruby, what does that girl mean by Yang being top heavy?"
"Oh no, you're not old enough for that!" Ruby frantically said while covering his ears. The filled transformed as Port counted down.
"Three...two...one...begin!" Right off the bat, the boy, Flynt, blew his trumpet, nearly knocking the girls off their feet. His partner, Neon, skated through the blast and sent Yang flying, leaving Weiss to face Flynt alone.
"Come on guys! Beat those jerks down!" (Y/N) yelled. Weiss attempted to beat Flynt sound blast with her glyph but his sudden stop knocked her off balance and allowed his to land a hit and send her through a fire crystal. Yang was having equal trouble with Neon, who easily dodged her attacks and landed hit after hit, both verbally and physically. She, unwisely, taunted the blonde with poor jokes and Yang proceeded to break a very large boulder. On the fire field, Flynt was using the fired to stop Weiss's ice projectiles while insulting her, making (Y/N) want to set this kid on fire. Thinking quick, she used her speed glyphs to land fast blows. Flynt suddenly separated into 4 copies who sent Weiss flying with a combine blow. Yang wasn't fairing much better as Neon was skating circles around her and she was getting angrier by the second. (Y/N) began scooting closer to Blake instinctively. He had seen Yang angry and it was never pretty. He suddenly caught sight of Flynt and his clones aiming at his distracted sister.
"Yang!" He called. Weiss suddenly lunged forward and sent them both into a fire column.
"Weiss!" Ruby, Blake, and (Y/N) cried simultaneously. Unfortunately, it was enough to completely drain Weiss's aura, but not enough to knock out Flynt. Yang was now on her own.
"You can do it Yang!" (Y/N) called out. "Kick their butts!"
The fiery tempered girl was officially done with them and activated her semblance, causing several pillars of fire to burst out of the ground. That probably should've hinted to the opponents that they had royal screwed up, but they didn't seem to take the hint as they tag teamed Yang. Unfortunately for Flynt, who had Yang trapped in a vortex, he underestimated the momentum behind Yang's shotgun blasts, which launched her forward and allowed her to grab his weapon and send his own attack back at him, knocking him out. Neon, who had escaped to the fire terrain, similarly underestimated the field. She suddenly tripped and rolled into a geyser which shot her into the air. Yang seized the opportunity to send a blast right at her, taking her out and stealing the win. The crowd cheered as Yang helped out Weiss. The spectator part of the team ran to join them, but (Y/N) made it there first since he could fly.
"Are you okay?" He asked worryingly. Weiss hugged him.
"I'm fine sweetie, but I won't be singing for a while," he sighed in relief and Yang nudged him.
"Hey, where's my hug?" He smiled and obliged. Flynt and Neon stood up and (Y/N) bit back a growl.
"What!?" Neon cried. "We lost!? We lost!? Team FNKI lost!? That was...that was... amazing!" She suddenly had rainbow stars in her eyes and (Y/N) let up a little since she was a good sport about it. "Oh my gosh, you guys were super crazy awesome! We should definitely party together sometime! Right Flynt?" The boy smiled.
"That was a gutsy move, Schnee. I dig it,"
"Not bad for someone with money huh?" (Y/N) sarcastic threw at him. Both girls looked shocked at him.
"(Y/N)!" Weiss scolded before breaking out into a cough. Flynt raised his hands.
"Naw, it's fine. Kid's gotta look out for his upperclassmen,"
"Family," (Y/N) corrected. Flynt tipped his hat to him.
"Even more so then little man," Ruby and Blake finally joined the team and ran up to help Weiss.
"Good job you two," Blake complimented.
"Yeah," Ruby agreed as the group helped their friends off the field. They took Weiss to the infirmary for smoke inhalation before heading back to their dorm. (Y/N) had cutely asked to stay with her, but Weiss insisted he go back and rest. As soon as they got back, (Y/N) began jumping off the beds and the walls.
"You guys were incredible! You sent those two flying Yang!" He said while trying to mimic her moves from the fight. Ruby laughed before scooping him up with her speed to settle him down.
"Okay mister bouncy, you're tough enough," they laughed and Yang walked up to them to ruffle his hair. She then caught sight of the new charms on his bracelet.
"Hey, those are new," he proudly showed them off.
"Yeah! Emerald and Mercury got me them!" Blake raised a brow at him.
"I thought you didn't like Mercury," (Y/N) gagged.
"Oh I don't, but Emerald made him get me this, so it was a win," Yang laughed.
"Well someone's sassy today,"
"So I've been told," he got away from Ruby and plopped down on Weiss's bed. "You were really awesome told Yang. I bet you guys are gonna win the whole tournament!" Yang felt a boost to her ego.
"Well yeah, I'd like to see the guy who takes me on,"
"So you're gonna go into the solo round?" Blake nodded.
"Considering Weiss's condition and the fact Yang won the fight, it only makes sense to send her in," Yang punched her fist together.
"Oh yeah! You're gonna have to cheer extra hard for me (Y/N),"
"I will! I promise!"