Chapter 5: Fever Daze

I own nothing
Chapter 5: Sick Day
"ACHOO!" (Y/N) sneezed loudly as he struggled to keep the thermometer in his mouth. Poor little was miserable. His nose was stuffed up, his throat felt raw from coughing, and he felt unbearably hot. After the girls had brought (Y/N) back home after his little trip around the city (and Yang proceeding to beat up the members of SSSN while (Y/N) got a good bath), (Y/N) proceeded to get worse in the night and was now laying weakly, tucked into Blake's bed. The thermometer beeped and Weiss took it from his mouth to check the reading while laying a comforting hand on his head. The little dragon enjoyed her cool touch as she frowned.
"101.7 degrees," she informed the rest of the team. "Definitely a fever,"
"Aw, poor baby," Yang said while giving him a big hug.
"Well, this should teach him not to wonder off," Blake replied, being the tough mom. "Still, you should stay in bed for today (Y/N), at least until your fever breaks," (Y/N) gagged.
"But that's so boring!" He began trying to kick off the blankets. "Also it's really hot in here!" Weiss made sure the covers stayed on.
"No (Y/N), the blankets stay on. It'll help break your fever faster," he groaned as Ruby entered the room with a few items.
"Ok! I got all the stuff he'll need! A tall glass of whole milk, a video game, and an inspirational cat poster!" Weiss's eye twitched.
"Ruby! I told you to go get medicine!"
"Oh, dad used to do this all the time for us. We'd always get better!" Yang explained. Weiss face palmed.
"I'm going to go get actual medicine from the nurse. I'll be back," the ice queen sauntered out while Ruby handed the glass of milk to their ward.
"Drink this (Y/N), it'll make you feel better," the little dragon gripped the glass weakly and began drinking, only to for it to dissolve into a coughing fit. Yang quickly took the glass from him and began rubbing his back.
"Easy! Don't drink so fast!"
"My throat really hurts!" He complained. Blake patted his head.
"We know, but you have to take stuff if you want to get better. You don't want to stay in bed for a few days do you?" His eyes widened in terror.
"No!" He grabbed the glass from Yang and chugged the rest of the milk before burping. He blushed.
"S'cuse me,"
The girls laughed as Ruby and Yang began playing the video game with (Y/N) while Blake did some reading. A little while later, Weiss came back with a bottle of suspicious red liquid and a large bottle of water. She poured the liquid into the bottle's cap before handing it to him.
"Alright (Y/N), drink this and then drink your water," (Y/N) winced at the smell of the medicine.
"It smells awful," Weiss smiled.
"Don't worry, it's cherry flavor," (Y/N) took a tiny sip. He gagged at the taste.
"You lied to me!" Yang laughed.
"Ouch, bad move Weiss. Never get cherry flavored medicine!" Yang reached over to pinch his nose. "This should help, now drink," the little boy frowned but made no move to protest and drank the foul liquid. It was a little better, but he still had to prevent himself from gagging. Once he was finished, he snatched the water bottle and began gulping desperately to get the taste out of his mouth. He groaned as his stomach shifted uncomfortably before laying back.
"You'll feel better after this," Blake promised.
"Oh drat," Weiss said while looking at her scroll. "We have to go to class,"
"Already?" Ruby whined.
"You're gonna leave me alone like this?" (Y/N) asked nervously when there was a knock on the door. Blake walked up to the door.
"Not alone, we called back up," opening it revealed Team CFVY. Coco and Velvet looked very happy while the two males behind them looked a little under the weather themselves.
"Hey girls!"Velvet greeted joyfully.
"Hi Velvet! Hi Coco!" Ruby waved back. "You brought Fox and Yatsuhashi?"
"Yeah, these two are still drowsy with sickness Coco teased. "Can't leave them alone to hallucinate or pass out somewhere,"
"We're not dying Coco," Fox protested. Velvet laughed.
"The real reason we brought them is because we thought it was high time they met (Y/N). Considering what happened, we thought he could use some more responsible male figures to look up to,"
"Speaking of, if you want us to teach Team SSSN a lesson," Coco offered. Weiss shook her head.
"No, Yang already did that and needless to say the nurse was still lecturing me when I went to get (Y/N)'s medicine,"
"We should get going," Blake informed them while holding up her scroll.
"Ok, so Team JNPR should be here around lunchtime to relieve you guys, so just make sure  (Y/N) doesn't get out of bed and he takes his medicine every two hours," Weiss informed them. Velvet nodded.
"Don't worry, we've got it!"
"Alright little man, be good and don't leave this bed," Yang said. The girls all gave him good bye kisses on the forehead before leaving. Coco walked up to the bed and sat at the edge with a sympathetic smile.
"Hey (Y/N), how are you feeling?"
"Like I'm both drowning in mucus and dying of heat," he groaned sadly. Velvet sat next to her leader.
"Aw, I'm sorry you're not feeling well sweetie. Did the rain really get you this sick?" (Y/N) shook his head.
"It wasn't all the rain. I get cold really easily, so it's easier for me to get sick from it. I hate the cold,"
"Well, you are part reptile so it makes sense you'd be sensitive to the cold," the large boy behind them said. (Y/N) took a good look at the two strangers. They definitely looked very interesting.
"Um...who are you?" Velvet got up and pushed her teammates forward.
"(Y/N), these are our teammates. This is Yatsuhashi and this is Fox,"
"Greetings," Yatsuhashi said while waving. Fox dipped his head.
"Nice to meet you kid. Coco and Velvet have been squealing about you for weeks," (Y/N) was mesmerized by Fox's eyes, which were pure pools of white. Fox chuckled as if he could sense (Y/N) staring at him.
"You know, a picture lasts longer (Fox is actually very sassy in the manga)," the dragon was very grateful the fever already made his face red or he'd be a tomato.
"S-sorry, it's just-,"
"My eyes, don't worry, I'm used to it,"
"Fox is blind," Velvet explained. "That's why his eyes are like that,"
"Wait, then how did you know I was looking at you?" the tan male smirked (Fox is my near favorite side character).
"Even a blind man can tell when he's being stared at," the boy flinched away and sunk into the covers, wanting to disappear. Coco slapped Fox's leg.
"Fox, stop teasing him! We're supposed to make him feel better, not embarrassed!"
"Fine, fine, I'll stop messing with your new favorite boy," Coco smirked.
"Aw, are you jealous Foxy?" Yatsuhashi cover (Y/N)'s eyes.
"Could you two not flirt? There is a child present," the team leader waved off her large teammate.
"Oh please, he lives with Yang and was with Neptune for most of the day yesterday. He's more than likely seen worse. Right sweetheart?"
"I don't understand," he replied with innocent confusion. Velvet patted his head.
"Let's keep it that way sweetie,"
The next few hours past very pleasantly. Yatsuhashi was very kind to (Y/N) and even played a few games with him like chess (he was very shocked at how quickly (Y/N) learned and everyone was amused by the imposing Yatsuhashi getting his butt handed to him by the undersized (Y/N)). Fox was actually a very funny person despite his serious looking exterior. He was kinda like (Y/N) in a way, shut out to new people, but once you became a friend, their true personality shone through. The little dragon found his blunt humor very entertaining and Fox did enjoy making him laugh (when he didn't break out into a coughing fit). All the while, Coco and Velvet were just cooing over how cute (Y/N) was, even sick, and happy that he got along well with their teammates. Then there came the time to take the medicine.
Oh boy did (Y/N) not make this easy.
"(Y/N), time to take your medicine!" Velvet informed him as he and Yatsuhashi were playing chess again. His eyes widened in disgust.
"No! That's stuff taste awful!" As Velvet poured the medicine into a spoon, Fox caught a whiff of it.
"Ugh, what cold hearted monster gave him cherry flavored medicine. Everyone knows that stuff is inedible,"
"Weiss picked it up," Velvet said with a frown.
"Oh Ice Queen, I get-oof!" A pillow hit Fox straight in his face. (Y/N) pouted angrily.
"Only our team can call her that!" Fox laughed and raised his hands in surrender.
"Ok, ok, message receive," Velvet walked up to the bed and held out the spoon for the little boy to take. (Y/N) clenched his jaw and turned his head.
"(Y/N) you have to take it,"
"No!" He protested.
"Come on, it's not that bad,"
"Yes it is!" Velvet kept trying to put the spoon to his mouth, but he wouldn't stop squirming. Eventually, he got fed up jumped out of bed, flew to a top corner of the room, and hung there by sinking his claws into the roof. Coco marched up to him.
"(Y/N), get back into bed and take your medicine young man," he shook his head and refused. Coco sighed.
"Alright, we do this the hard way. Yatsuhashi, get him down," the big rushed forward and jumped to grab the boy. (Y/N) let go and tried to escape.
"Fox!"
The blind leapt from one of the top bunks and grabbed hold of (Y/N), sending them both plummeting. Fox held tightly as (Y/N) fought desperately to get away. Velvet walked up with medicine and once again attempted to get him to take it. (Y/N) kept his mouth shut.
"Alright kid, you asked for this," Fox began wiggling his fingers against (Y/N)'s sides and under his arms. The child began uncontrollably laughing before Velvet shoved the spoon in his mouth. (Y/N) gagged but swallowed. He went limp and Fox handed him off to Velvet who carried him back to the bed, tucking him in.
"Well that was exciting," (Y/N) gave sad eyes and she and Coco immediately fell for it.
"Aw sorry sweetie, but it was for your own good!"
"No more medicine, promise!" Yatsuhashi rolled his eyes.
"Unbelievable. They kill the creatures of Grimm on a daily basis, yet they fall to puppy eyes,"
"An advantage to being blind: I am immune," Fox joked.
The rest of morning passed without anymore trouble and eventually Team JNPR showed up for their shift.
Well, Nora busted open the door.
"(Y/N)!" The girl dove at the bed and crushed the unsuspecting male in a hug. Pyrrha peeked her head through the busted door.
"Hello!"
"Sorry about the door," Jaune apologized while Ren pried Nora off of (Y/N).
"It's not our door so," Fox joked.
"We can take over so you guys can take a break," Jaune said. Team CFVY began gathering up their stuff.
"Thanks guys," Velvet said before patting (Y/N) on the head. "Feel better sweetie," he smiled.
"Thanks Velvet. It was nice meeting you Fox and Yatsuhashi," the big guy nodded his head.
"Likewise (Y/N)," Fox waved.
"See ya kid," Coco gave him a big hug.
"Get better soon cutie!" (Y/N) blushed.
"Coco!" She laughed and Team CFVY walked out. Nora took Coco's place and squeezed.
"Aw! My poor dragon baby is sick in bed after a traumatic experience!"
"Nora, bones breaking!" He cried as he flew his internal structure starting to give in.
"Nora, let him go," Ren commanded. "You'll break him," She begrudgingly released the boy as Pyrrha knelt down and patted his head with a kind smile.
"How are you feeling (Y/N)?" He pouted.
"I feel fine! I even flew to avoid my medicine! I don't need to be in bed!" Just as he finished, his sore throat acted up again and he began coughing. Pyrrha took hold of his chin and began to examine him.
"You still look a bit pale (Y/N), and nose and cheeks are still red. Better safe than sorry," Jaune placed a hand on his forehead.
"You also still feel warm," (Y/N) began to shift.
"Yeah, because I'm under these blankets! I feel hot, and I never get hot!"
"Even so, you should take it easy," He crossed his arms as Ren held out a thermometer.
"Let's take your temperature and see if you are as well as you say," (Y/N) took the device into his mouth and sat back until it beeped. Ren then read the number.
"102.5, a high fever," (E/C) eyes widened in surprise.
"What, that's higher than before! I don't feel any worse! I even feel like I can eat solids!"
"(Y/N), no hiding your condition. It clearly states you're getting worse," Pyrrha stated firmly.
"But I'm not lying! The thermometer is busted!"
"He does seem very lively," Ren pointed out, but Pyrrha stood her ground.
"(Y/N) no complaints. And no sad eyes," She said, cutting him off right before he did so. He frowned when Nora hugged him again.
"Aw don't be sad! We brought you lunch! I wanted to bring you pancakes, but Ren said no," Jaune held up a plastic container.
"Chicken soup. A time tested cure for the flu and since Blake said you love tea, so he made you some spicy ginger tea with lemon and ginger for your throat,"
"Thank you Ren," the ninja boy bowed.
"Anything for one who respects the sacred art of tea," despite his throat pain, (Y/N) chugged the soup and moved on to the tea. He took a nice sip.
"Yum! This does feel nice for my throat,"
"Ginger, lemon, and honey are all natural remedies for throat problems," Ren explained.
"Hey, I think your color is even starting to come back!" The blonde leader commented as he reached to check the boy's forehead again, only to jerk back in shock.
"Yikes! (Y/N) you're burning up even more!" Pyrrha rushed in worriedly.
"What?" She also placed a hand on (Y/N) forehead and she didn't even need to touch him to feel the heat. She put the thermometer back in his mouth and it immediately malfunctioned. "What on earth is going on?" (Y/N) began coughing again, only with more...worrying results.
"What the-!"
(Elsewhere)
Team RWBY we're dragging their feet after a long class with Oobleck.
"Ugh, Oobleck is the worse!" Yang complained.
"Not as bad as Professor Peach," Blake retorted with Weiss frowning.
"I like her,"
"Yeah but she's not around that often," Ruby said before her scroll started ringing. She picked it up and she could it was Jaune panicking on the other end of the line.
"Ruby! Get back here right now!"
"Jaune! What's wrong?"
"It (Y/N)! I can't explain it! I think he's getting worse! Just hurry up!"
Jaune hung up and Ruby looked at her teammates fearfully.
"Something's wrong with (Y/N)! Move it!" The group immediately began running towards the dorms at top speeds. They charged through the broken door and found Team JNPR gathered around the bed. Yang pushed Jaune out of the way to see (Y/N) having another coughing fit.
Only this time he was also coughing up smoke.
Weiss was baffled at the sight.
"What on earth did you feed him!?" She demanded.
"Chicken soup and tea!" Pyrrha quickly defended. "He just started coughing smoke!"
"(Y/N), are you ok!?" Blake asked the boy as the violent episode continued. Yang grabbed her sister's shoulder.
"Ruby, go get the nurse or Oobleck or someone!" (Y/N) suddenly stopped as he gasped for breath.
"Ah, ah, AHCHOO!" The second he sneezed, bright orange and red flames spewed from his mouth, setting the bunk on fire. Everyone sat there gapping in amazement as (Y/N), completely unharmed and unfazed by the blaze, smiled.
"Hey, I feel better!"
(Timeskip)
After putting out the bunk bed, Ruby got the nurse, Oobleck, and Ozpin since they had no idea how to handle (Y/N)'s new quirk. The nurse finished examining him while Oobleck took note of an examination of (Y/N)'s organs. The nurse stood up.
"Well, his fever has broken and his chest is clear. That fire must've removed anything lingering in his system. I'd say his high temperature was just his body's way of adjusting to it,"
"And the fire?" Weiss asked as it was obvious question. Oobleck bolted over to them.
"Ah yes! After closer examinations, I can conclude where the fire originated! This is an image of (Y/N)'s diaphragm! There appears to be a secondary part of the organ not normally found. By the looks of it, when it is under stress, it creates a gas which then travels through the diaphragm, up the windpipe, and then to the mouth. Once there, due to a chemical reaction caused by his saliva, the gas then ignites, creating a steady stream of flame (I tried explaining it scientifically),"
"So, (Y/N) can breathe fire!?" Blake asked in disbelief.
"That's awesome!" Ruby cheered while running up to the dragon boy. Ozpin chuckled.
"I must say, had I known his fire breathing would develop so soon, I would've taken him aside and told him about it. I apologize ladies," Blake stared at him.
"You know this would happen!?" Ozpin took a swing of coffee.
"Of course, dragons are famous for breathing fire, their faunus counterparts are no different. Though to be honest, I thought it would start much later in (Y/N) life with a few more signs. I suppose his fever must have accelerated its development,"
"So I can breath fire like some kind of living flamethrower?!" (Y/N) asked with big starry eyes. The headmaster smiled.
"Indeed, though, you will need to learn how to control it so we may avoid having to have you carry around a fire extinguisher. Like an aura, it will take immense concentration at first, but eventually it will become second nature. Though, would like to instruct you personally as I have at least a broad understanding of how it works," (Y/N) jumped out of bed and began flying in happy circles around the room. The girls and Team JNPR laughed at the sight of their little friend so excited.
"Would you also like new sheets as well considering the current ones are now ashes?"
"Yes please,"