Chapter 17 (Y): Rest and Resolution

Sorry for the hold up guys, I've had summer school and work to deal with! Also, above is a rough dragon of (Y/N)'s emblem.
I own nothing
Chapter 17: A Needed Talk
The newly reunited group laughed around the table as they ate a ridiculous amount of food. Team RNJR was recounting their adventures in Anima up until now. Jaune was currently telling everyone about their troubles when Yang interrupted with a laugh.
"How do you lose your map at a time like that!?"
"Believe me, I've asked myself the same thing ever since,"
Weiss and Yang laughed while (Y/N), who was between Ren and Ruby, scarfed his meal. Nora then chimed in.
"Hey, but you made up for it, Mister Muscles! You shoulda seen this guy take a giant Grimm head on!"
"That's awesome Jaune!" (Y/N) complimented as he came up for air.
"I couldn't have done it without Ruby wearing it down,"
"Uh me?" Ruby asked, pointing her chopsticks at Ren. "Did you see Ren during that fight? He was out of control!"
"I'm sorry," he said unsure. "I may have lost my temper momentarily,"
"No, no! Out of control as in awesome!" Ruby explained while her brother sneakily ate the food on her chopsticks that she was so kind as to wave it in front of him. Ren nodded, understanding know.
"Ooooh. Thank you," everyone burst laughing as Weiss began to tell them about her time in Atlas. (Y/N) made a silent promise to set her dad on fire if he ever saw the jerk. He and everyone else were taken aback when Weiss told them about her summoning a Boarbatusk in the middle of a fancy party because an ignorant, big mouth.
"You didn't!" Ruby challenged as Weiss covered her face in embarrassment.
"Yeah, right in the middle of the party,"
"Please tell me you let that lady have it," Yang pleaded. Weiss shot up.
"Of course not! Even if I did really want to," Nora crossed her arms.
"No way, I don't believe it,"
"Uh Nora?" The little dragon said as he pointed to Weiss's newly summoned beast. She yelped, falling out of her chair, while everyone began laughing again. Dinner continued for a while and the conversation turned to Yang and (Y/N)'s time with Tai. The boy was showing off his new weapons. Ruby, of course, fawned over them.
"Ah! These are so cool (Y/N)!"
"Yeah, and I can control how long the blades are and I can use different dusts in my shots!"
"You should've seen what he did to one Grimm with some gravity dust," Yang joked.
"It amazing!"
"And, your semblance?" Ren inquired. The dragon smiled and held up the bracelet.
"Completely under control!"
"(Y/N)," Yang warned as he smiled sheepishly.
"Mostly...under control,"
"So you know how it works now?" Jaune asked.
"It's a bond based semblance. Every charm connects me to a person and gives me a specific power depending on the person,"
"Wait, so you could have like a million different semblances at once!?" Nora asked excitedly, getting into his face. He shook his head.
"Not exactly. It seems that I need a genuine bond with someone in order for my semblance to work,"
"So all of our charms work?" Weiss asked. He nodded with a smile.
"Of course! Ruby's charm makes me super fast, Yang's make me super strong, Weiss's powers up my fire, and Blake..." he cut himself off, feeling sad at the memory of the cat faunus. He wished she was here. Ruby hugged him.
"It's okay, we miss her too," (Y/N) returned the gesture.
"Thanks Ruby,"
Trying to avoid anymore touchy subjects, Yang stepped up to plate to show off her new arm. Needless to say, everyone was impressed.
"It's not a replacement for the real thing, but I'll make sure to make good use of it,"
"That's amazing," Jaune commented as everyone smiled.
"Incredible," Ren agreed. Ruby inhaled excitedly as she rushed over to fawn over the equipment.
"And it's just as strong?"
"Hm, sure is," Yang boasted as their brother side.
"Believe me, I have the bruises to prove it," Nora suddenly slammed her hand on the table and put up right one for an arm wrestling match.
"Wanna bet!?" Weiss rolled her eyes.
"Nora, please, now's not the time..." Yang cut her off by immediately accepting the challenge. Ruby and (Y/N) cheered for Yang while Jaune and Ren cheered on Nora.
"Don't let her beat you! You can do it!
"Show em what Team JNPR's made of!"
"Show her what for Yang!"
"Come on sis! Aw you can't lose to a girl in a skirt!"
"You wear a skirt, Ruby,"
"Weiss, you're not cheering loud enough!"
"It definitely feels like the original," Nora taunted. "I'll give you that!"
"Yup. But, it does have some new features!"
"Heh, oh yeah?"
There was a loud clicking as Nora was launched back, Yang's arm in hand. As she groaned in pain, Jaune looked to the others.
"Did she...win?"
Sitting up, Nora realized what she holding and screamed in terror. Yang laughed as she caught her arm. After finishing dinner, Jaune sluggishly gathered up the dishes.
"Gyah...we ate it all...Ugh, I think I'm gonna be sick..."
"Easy there, Vomit Boy," Yang teased. "(Y/N) did most of it," (Y/N) burped as his head rest on the table just to prove her point while Jaune rolled his eyes.
"Ooh, we're doing nickname throwbacks now. Wonderful," he walked away while Weiss giggled.
"I mean, the Ice Queen seems to like it," Nora added as Weiss froze and Yang and (Y/N) held in their laughs, while Ruby cackled loudly.
"I so did not miss you people," Weiss said, though her smile said something else. Nora gasped.
"Oh my gosh, she really does like it! What went and warmed your heart while you were gone?"
"Hey! You make it sound like I used to be terrible,"
"Nah," Yang assured. "Just a a lot to deal with at once,"
"Hmp!" Yang stuck her tongue.
"Hmp!"
"It's been a long time," Ren interjected. "We've all grown in our own ways,"
"You think so?" (Y/N) asked.
"Well, think back to when we were all at Beacon, would you say you ever did anything foolish or embarrassing? Or did you thing you were perfect?"
"Oh gosh," Weiss groaned, putting her face into her hands.
"I may have been a little too gung-ho from time to time," Yang admitted.
"Hee, you?" Ruby interrupted. "I tried to 1v1 a Nevermore on the second day of school,"
"First flight," (Y/N) mumbled as he kept his face planted to the table. Jaune returned and leaned against the wall.
"Yeah well, don't even get me started,"
"Well that embarrassment- that desire to go back and tell yourself not to be so stupid- that just proves you're not the same person you used to be. You're smarter, or kinder, or stronger, and you're not done growing yet. None of us are,"
"Yeah, turns out Ren gets real deep when he feels like talking," Ruby joked, making everyone laugh. Nora shot up.
"Well, hold on! I thought I was pretty great in school!"
"Even at the dance?" Yang inquired. "When you spilled punch all over yourself in front of-," Nora raced over to yell.
"YES, especially the dance! THANK YOU, YANG!" Weiss, Ruby, and (Y/N) giggled as Qrow walked in to join them, Oscar close behind him. (Y/N) had been a little confused about Oscar being the reincarnation of Ozpin, but after a little explanation, it was little easier to digest and Oscar seemed nice enough.
"How can you kids possibly make so much noise eating dinner!?" Everyone just stared at Oscar, who chuckled nervously.
"I-He wants to talk,"
(Timeskip)
Everyone took the time to exchange information and Ozpin, who sat between Team RNJR and other three, got Weiss, Yang, and (Y/N) up to speed.
"So the Maidens. Magic. Salem. It's all true?" Weiss asked. Qrow nodded.
"Uh huh,"
"Miss Xiao Long, is this more or less what your mother told you?" Yang was silent, her arms crossed. (Y/N) answered in her place.
"Pretty much,"
"You forgot something," Yang finally said. "You forgot to tell everyone what you did to Qrow and my mother," everyone's eyes widened.
"What is she talking about?" Jaune asked. The mentioned drunk rolled his eyes.
"Oh, great,"
"Hm," Ozpin contemplated. "That's not a secret I thought she would give up so easily. Your mother must trust you a great deal," Yang gave him the stink eye as he broke contact. "My ability to reincarnate, though a curse, isn't without a few key benefits. Much like the Maidens, I too possess a certain... "magical" power," He stood up and mover over to Qrow "Using this power, I was able to gift the Branwen twins the ability to "see" more, to move freely and be unburdened by their natural bodies. I...well...gave them the ability to turn into birds," he chuckled. "Rather ridiculous sounding out loud, isn't it?" Team RNJR blinked.
"Uncle?"
"You turned them...into birds,"
"Alright, now you're just messing with us,"
"What else is new?"
"He's telling the truth," Weiss insisted. (Y/N) nodded vigorously.
"Yeah, Raven turned from a bird to a person right in front of us!"
"Why would you do something like that?" Yang asked aggressively. "I mean what is wrong with you?"
"Yang," Qrow challenged. "That's enough. We made a choice. We wanted this," Oz looked up to Qrow.
"May I?" He walked to the trio. "Granting this power to them was no trivial task, and I can assure you it was not done frivolously. I required assistance to gather information on Salem's plans, as well as searching for Maidens when their hosts became unclear,"
"Okay, so have you done this with others?" Ruby asked. "Like General Ironwood? Or Professor Goodwitch?"
"As helpful as that might be, unfortunately it's not that simple. My power is finite, and if I'm being honest, dwindling. The amount that I gifted to Qrow and Raven was, all things considered, rather minuscule. You see, centuries ago, I sacrificed a great deal of magic to four young women, who I hoped would use my gift for good,"
"The Maidens," (Y/N) realized.
"Yes, they became the first Maidens. Miss Xiao Long, it was never my intention to lie to you, to any of you. There are just some matters I prefer to... "play close to the chest". I believe that's how you phrased it?" He glanced at Qrow, who chuckled and nodded.
"Yeah,"
"Everyone has a choice. The Branwens chose to accept their powers and the responsibilities that came with them. And later, one of them chose to abandon her duties, in favor of her own self-interest. Now, all of you have a choice. If anyone wished to leave, now is the time. There is no shame or disgrace in abstaining, only in retreat," no one moved and he turned back around. "Very well then," Yang stood up.
"Yang?"
"If Ruby sticks around, (Y/N) and I will too. If there's one thing I know about her, it's that she somehow always knows the right thing to do. But, if we're going to help, if we're going to keep risking our lives, no more lies. No more half-truths," the males looked at each other before Oz looked back at her.
"Understood," Yang sat back down as Jaune asked the obvious question.
"So, what now? I mean, what can we do?"
"Mm, that is a difficult question. One that I believe is best answered tomorrow,"
"What do you mean?"
"The road ahead is undoubtedly filled with hardships and peril. However, it's been far too long since you have all been together," He placed a hand on Yang's shoulder. "Please, take tonight, enjoy this moment," His eyes flashed as Oscar took control. He immediately jumped back, hoping Yang wouldn't beat him up. (Y/N), Weiss, and Yang laughed as Nora let out a loud "Oooh". Everyone looked at her.
"Raven!? Qrow!? They're birds! Cracked it!"
(Timeskip)
It was late in night, long after everyone had fallen asleep, that (Y/N) snuck out of bed to look at the stars in the backyard. He couldn't sleep, not after everything that had happened that day. Besides, Raven's warning buzzed in his ears.
Someone must be hunting them down.
Why would Salem go to all that trouble though? Sure, dragon faunus were powerful, but why run the risk of earning the hatred of the species? Why not try to ally with them? He laid back to gaze at the sky, his thoughts cut off by footsteps and the door sliding open.
"Shouldn't you be in bed?"
It was Oscar. (Y/N) looked up at him from his position.
"Couldn't sleep,"
"Oh...I see,"
The farm hand was awkward around the boy to say the least. Ozpin had assured him (Y/N) was another trusted ally, but Oscar didn't like the idea of a kid being able to look at his soul and know what he was thinking, and that wasn't even bringing up the fire breathing.
"Any reason you're up too?"
"Oh!" Oscar said as he sat down. "Same as you, but I'm surprised you couldn't tell, you know with that whole power of yours," (Y/N) raised a brow at him.
"It doesn't exactly work like that. Besides, I can't read your soul,"
"You can't?"
"No, I could never do it to Ozpin, and now I think I know why. There's too many souls surrounding you, so it overwhelms my sight,"
"I see," there was an awkward silence between them before (Y/N) spoke again.
"Buuut, I can still tell you probably need someone to talk to," Oscar rubbed the back of his neck.
"I guess I'm still getting used to this. A while ago, I was just a normal farmhand. Everything just became so crazy, so fast," (Y/N) sat up and hugged his knees, frowning.
"Yeah, that's usually how it happens," Oscar was surprised to see such a somber expression on the boy's face. (Y/N) was just a kid, and that wasn't a face any kid should make yet.
"Your sister told me about the Fall of Beacon,"
"Two days, that's all it took. One morning we're all happy, the next, Yang's framed for something she didn't do, and then next, we're not all there anymore. Some of us are in pieces, some of us take off, and some are never coming back,"
"Pyrrha," Oscar guessed. (Y/N) began tearing up.
"You know, I think what hurts the most is that I never even got to say goodbye. I never got to tell her how amazing she was, or how much I appreciated how much she took care of me. The last time I saw her was before Yang's match. It was just like my parents, I didn't know that was the last time I'd ever get to talk to her," Oscar looked down sadly.
"If it helps, I know how that feels," (Y/N) looked up to the stars once more.
"Sometimes I wonder if they can see me. Would they be proud of me?" He froze as he felt a hand on his head. From the corner of his eye, he could see Oscar's posture had change, clearly showing Ozpin had taken over.
"I'm sure they're all proud (Y/N)," (Y/N) smiled and wiped his tears.
"Thanks Professor," The possessed stood up.
"You should sleep. It's not healthy for you to be up so late. Besides, I don't think Ms Rose will react well to find you missing,"
"Right," Just as Ozpin turned to go back inside, (Y/N) called out. "Professor?"
"Yes (Y/N)?"
"There was something else on my mind. When we were in the bandit camp, Raven told me something. She said that Salem was hunting the dragon faunus and that's why we're so rare. Was she telling the truth?" Oz grimaced.
"That was something I was hoping to discuss later, once things had settled. I...didn't want to frightened you,"
"Should I be scared?" Oz turned away, starring at nothing.
"The man who said he feared nothing is a liar and a fool. We all experience fear (Y/N), it is what we do in the midst of that fear that will decide who we are,"
"You didn't answer my question," Oz sighed.
"...yes (Y/N), you should be fearful, especially now that you will actively fight against her," the dragon gulped. "But, you should remember, come what may, you'll have your sisters beside you," the boy smiled at this part, even if there was a small claw of terror in his belly. The professor helped him up. "Not exactly the best words to send someone to sleep, but you should at least try,"