Chpater 22: Uncovered and The Lost Fable

I own nothing.
Chapter 22: Jinn
(Y/N) folded his wings over his body to keep warm as he dug out his messenger bag from the wreck. He panicked for a second we he saw Noodle was missing, but calmed down when he saw she had only been a bit away. Brushing the snow away, he put his old friend back into the bag as he heard Yang growling as she freed Bumblebee from the snow.
"Great, this is just great. We're stranded, lost a third of our party, and we have gained a defenseless old lady!" She and Bumblebee fell over at that last statement.
"My name is Maria Calavera." The old woman shot back as Oscar helped her out. "And I am not defenseless! I'm just a little hard of hearing and blind without my eyes...that are in desperate need of repair. Okay, I'm starting to see your point."
"Yang, knock it off, will ya?" Qrow said as everyone converged. "If we lose our cool now, we'll just be inviting more Grimm."
"Does that even matter?" Blake accused. "Apparently, we've been attracting Grimm since we left Haven."
"Oh and how could I forget about that?" Yang shot, looking at Oscar. "What happened to no more lies and half-truths?"
"That was pretty bad, Ozpin." (Y/N) agreed. "A lot of people could have been hurt. You should have told us."
Oscar was also in agreement, talking to the spirit in his head. "Yeah, I think it's time we got an explanation."
His eyes glowed as Oz took control.
"I did not lie to you."
"Well you certainly didn't tell us everything about the relic." Weiss shot back.
"Please, now is not the time."
"No, we're past that." Yang challenged, stepping up. "I wanna know why you're still not telling us everything!"
All of the girls and (Y/N) gazed down at Oz from on top of the hill.
"It is true that the Grimm are attracted to the relics. It's faint, but undeniable. I believe it has to do with their origin, but I'm not entirely sure. Regardless, I feared that making you all aware would only add anxiety and negativity. It seemed like the safer option."
"So you didn't trust us?" (Y/N) asked as Weiss seemed more annoyed.
"You know, I'm getting real tired of people choosing what's best for me."
"Is that why you chose to lie to everyone about Lionheart too?" Yang asked aggressively.
"Yes, as a matter of fact." The headmaster answered, becoming agitated. "I believed the Kingdom of Mantle deserved better than the truth, and I believed Leonardo deserved to be remembered for his lifetime of service, not the unfortunate missteps he made in his final years."
"Missteps!?" Yang yelled.
"How many people died because he was a coward!?" (Y/N) pointed out, Yang's anger catching on to him.
"What Professor Lionheart did was reprehensible, I am not here to argue differently, but does one lapse in judgement truly negate all of his good? Do we not all have regret? You may have met Professor Lionheart, but you never met the man he was before Salem found him."
"Look, we're supposed to be in this together." Yang argued. "You can trust us. We're not gonna turn our backs on you."
"Do you really think Leo was the first!?" (Y/N) jumped back a bit at his tone. He had never heard Ozpin sound so angry, and it was one of the first emotions he could clear pick from his soul, and the other was regret. "That he didn't say those exact same words to me?"
He turned back to them.
"I'm sorry, but you have to understand that my behaviors are backed by experience. I'm not saying that I have reason to think you will betray me. I'm saying that I have reasons for the things that I do, the secrets I keep, the reason I..." He glance quickly darted. "Where's the relic?"
"Right here." Ruby said, pulling it out. "It got scattered in the crash."
"Please, hand it over." He held out his hand, but Ruby glanced away.
"So, all those times you talked about having faith in humanity, that was just for everyone else?"
He sighed, looking down. "That's not what I meant to suggest. Miss Rose, the relic is a powerful item and I simply feel as though it is my burden to bear."
"Wait, I thought you said it couldn't do anything right now?" (Y/N) asked, confused.
Blake backed him up. "Why does it matter who carries it?"
Ozpin seemed surprised by their defiance. "Please, you need to listen to me-," He froze, seemingly unintentionally.
"Oz?" Qrow asked.
"Hurry." It was Oscar, struggling. "He's trying to stop you."
"Stop her from what?" Yang queried.
"He's afraid you'll find out what he's...hiding" Oscar collapsed. (Y/N) raced over to him as he fought to get the words out. "Her name is Jinn. Say her name to summon her."
"Her name?" Ruby repeated as the wind howled. She looked down at it, unsure. "Jinn?"
All at once, the world around them froze. The snow stop falling and the wind halted, as if time had stopped. The relic glowed and floated out of Ruby's hand as a blue smoke enveloped it. A blue feminine being wrapped in glided chains appeared, stretching and smiling at them slyly.
"Wonderful." Everyone stared at her. "Tell me, what knowledge do you seek? I am Jinn, a being created by the God of Light to aid humanity in its pursuit of knowledge. I've been graced with the ability to answer three questions every 100 years. You're in luck as I am still about to answer-,"
"That's enough!" Ozpin yelled, as (Y/N) was wondering what exactly he could do.
Jinn ignored him. "Two questions this era."
Everyone looked at him in disbelief as he hung his head, some with anger, some with betrayal. The spirit seemed amused.
"It's a pleasure to see you again, old man." She looked over at (Y/N), smirking slyly. "Ah, a remnant, and a powerful one at that."
"A remnant?" (Y/N) repeated.
"Ruby, please." The headmaster pleaded. "Don't."
Qrow stepped forward. "Hey."
The girls drew their weapons at him and (Y/N) stood there with baffled eyes. What was happening? Qrow shook his head and raised his hands up.
"Do whatever you think is right, kiddo."
Ruby looked down. "Jinn?" She turned back to the spirit. "What is Ozpin hiding from us?"
"No!" Ozpin rushed Ruby, knocking (Y/N) into the snow in his rush.
The world became white and he was stopped before he reached her.
(Y/N) shook his head, rising to his feet, and saw he was alone.
"Ruby? Yang?" He called.
"Once upon a time," Jinn's voice called from the void as the world began to take shape. "There stood a lonely tower that sheltered a lonely girl."
(Y/N) heard someone humming as a blond woman appeared, looking into a mirror.
"Named...Salem."
(Timeskip because I really don't want to describe the lore dump in the third person)
Jinn told them everything: Ozpin and Salem, the end of the previous world, Ozpin's mission, everything that had led them to this point. And the most important thing: Salem could not be killed. (Y/N) was shaking, the confrontation between Salem and Ozpin feeling too familiar. Jinn's illusion faded, and Yang shook in anger.
"Salem can't be killed. You all heard that too, right?"
The all gathered around him.
"I-,"
"There was so much you hadn't told us! How could you think that was okay?!"
"Professor?" Ruby asked. "What is your plan to defeat Salem?"
He was tear, and (Y/N) could tell the answer before he even said it. "I...don't have one."
There was stillness for a moment before Qrow snapped, knocking Ozpin straight into a tree trunk. (Y/N) backed up, frightened by the anger all around him.
"No wanted me." Qrow growled. "I was cursed. I gave my life to you because you gave me a place in this world. I thought I was finally doing some good. But you are...meeting you was the worst luck of my life."
Ozpin looked away shamefully as his eyes flashed. Oscar took control, confused.
"What happened?" Ruby asked.
"He's gone." The farm hand answered.
"That bastard!" Yang yelled, marching up to Oscar. "Tell him were not done yet!"
"No, this is different. He's gone. It's like he's locked himself deep inside my head. Our head? I hate this! I want it to stop!"
"He just left?" Weiss said.
Blake looked equally as worried. "What are we going to do now?"
"Enough!" Maria finally interjected. "We need to get a move on. It'll be dark before we know it and every one of you is spewing negativity!" She dragged herself to Oscar and pulled him to his feet. "There's a trail over there. Trails lead somewhere."
"Lady," Yang growled. "I don't know who you you think you are but-,"
"No buts! I understand that you're upset. Honestly I'm still coming to terms with the fact that this is humanity's second time around. But if we don't move, we die, and I'll be damned if I've lived this long just to die out here in this cold! Besides, I would think you'd put your youngest member first considering he'll be the first to drop."
The girl's eye became wide as they turned to their brother who had be silent. (Y/N) had wrapped himself in his wings and was breathing fire to keep warm, but the mist that formed from his hot breath make it difficult to maintain. Blake ran to him and helped him as everyone began to move out. He was sluggish and eventually Blake had to carry.
"Just hang in there, (Y/N)."
The trip was awful and (Y/N) to stay awake. He had completely overestimated his fire breath to keep him warm and his outfit wasn't doing him favors. Eventually, the team happened upon a group of buildings with the name Brunswick Farms over it.
"Well, at least one good thing happened today." Blake said.
"It looks abandoned." Weiss pointed out.
"It's still better than this." Ruby shot back. "And I don't think (Y/N) should be in the cold for much longer."
"Come on." Qrow called. "I think we can all use some rest."
The group headed inside and (Y/N) faintly heard the gate swinging behind them before snapping such. However, even as the wind grew strong, he didn't feel so sluggish anymore. To the contrary, a sharp sensation crawled up his spine and put every nerve on end. Why though? He listened, but the wind only howled in his ear.
....
Wait, there was something else.
....
....
Was that....groaning?
So this one's a bit short so the horror show can have the chapters all to themselves.