Chapter 33: Cordially Invited and As Above, So Below

Ya'll know it's Christmas time and I like Christmas scenarios. Comment below what I should do this year. Also, this just randomly got stuck in my head and won't leave: what partner Pokémon does everyone have, (Y/N) included?
Chapter 33: Dinner Party from Hell

(Y/N) stared up at the ceiling from the top bunk as the older kids huddled below, discussing the new development. An hour after he had returned to his room to contemplate the truth about what happened to him, his sisters walked in with an invitation to a dinner party at the Schnee manor, a scenario worse than getting stabbed by Tyrian in the boy's eyes.
"Only my father would turn a hostile takeover into a fluffy PR move." Weiss said, glaring at the invite.
Ruby tried to be optimistic. "On the news, he said he just wanted to break bread and hash things out. Maybe it won't be so bad. We do want the General to start opening up to these people, right?"
"Yeah, but on his terms." Oscar pointed out. "Ironwood's going to be locked in a room at his rival's own dinner party. I know Jacques says he's happy to moderate, but all that really means is he'll be the one controlling the conversation."
"Not hard to imagine how that's gonna play out." Blake added.
(Y/N) huffed. "We'd be better off with an Ursa moderating."
"I still can't believe he won." Weiss cut in, still looking skeptically at the invitation. "Robyn was supposed to be the people's champion, wasn't she? There's just too many coincidences."
"You really think your dad might have something to do with Salem?" Yang asked.
(Y/N) rolled over to look down at them. "Didn't you say your family's company runs in partnership with the heating grid and that would give them access to Mantle's security?"
Weiss looked down harshly. "I think my father would do whatever it takes to win."
"And we should do the same." Ruby stated.
"Meaning?"
"Well, no one knows your dad better than you, and out of everyone going tonight, I'd say you're the only one who could snoop around the house and not be questioned. If Jacques Schnee is up to something, I think we should know what it is."
Weiss looked hesitant, so (Y/N) jumped down from the bed and put his hand on her shoulder.
"You won't be alone. I'll watch your back."
She smiled at him and nodded. They then turned to the group to formulate a game plan.
(Timeskip)
If the dragon was grateful for one thing, it was that he wasn't stuffed into a suit for this event. Still, it felt like a funeral march as they stepped out of the car and looked up at the manor. Ironwood, understandably, was trying to keep a straight face. Winter stepped next to him, looking very unenthused.
"Suppose we should smile for the cameras?"
"Sir, with all due respect, you'd have to pay me."
They led the way on that note as Weiss took a deep breath. (Y/N) held her hand.
"You'll be fine."
She nodded and they approached enemy territory. Ironwood rang the doorbell, and the doors were opened by a young, white haired boy who looked not much older than (Y/N). Judging by the classic Schnee features, this was likely Weiss's brother, Whitley. Weiss had not painted a very flattering picture of her little brother in what little she had told (Y/N) about him. To her, he was a perfect little copy of their father and the two did not get along. Despite the tangible contempt (Y/N) could sense from the male, he greeted them politely.
"Good evening, everyone."
Weiss blinked. "Where's Klein?"
"What an interesting way to say 'Hello, dear brother, how have you been?'." He then frowned and crossed his arms. "I'm afraid you won't find him here. He was let go. I can't imagine why."
He knew why and Weiss did too, judging by the guilty look. (Y/N) nudged her and gave her a comforting smile.
Whitley noted the exchange and frowned deeply before turning to Ironwood.
"General, exactly how large do you think our dining room table is?"
"I happen to know it's enormous." The General answered. "But most of my guests will be here on standby in case the Council requests additional eye witnesses. Until then, I'm sure they'll be happily celebrating your father's victory."
(Y/N) bit back a gag as Whitley gave a half faked laugh and let them inside. As they walked in, (Y/N) felt Whitely look at him, likely trying to burn holes in his head. He turned to the older male.
"You have a problem?"
Whitely just crossed his arms. "You must be (Y/N). Weiss spoke of you often last time she was here."
"Really?"
"Oh yes. She was so concerned for her 'little brother' back in Vale."
The dragon noted the sour tone in his voice as he said those words. He knew the two siblings weren't close, even openly hostile to each other on occasion. (Y/N) didn't become hostile though.
"Well, I was worried about her too. She wasn't exactly thrilled to come back after what happened. I'm just glad our family is back together."
"Right, 'family'."
The two followed the group inside, the tension between them tangible. The dragon pulled back to ease the tension as Whitely addressed them again.
"For those of you joining us in the dining room, please follow me."
Ironwood, Winter, Clover, Ciel, and Penny followed the white haired boy, leaving the others behind.
"Wish us luck." Clover joked.
Qrow chuckled. "I mean, they already invited you, didn't they?"
Clover chuckled back before they vanished. The light hearted moment was cut short as a rabbit Faunus server came up to them with glasses of wine.
"Care for a drink, sir?"
Qrow looked at them uncomfortably for a moment before shaking his head and walking away. "Uh, no, no thanks. I think I'll just stick to patrolling the grounds."
He quickly moved along as Marrow crossed his arms, following suit.
"Words out of my mouth."
"Right, well, don't wander off, don't break anything, and be ready in case the General calls on you." Harriet warned.
The Ace Ops then walked off, plotting to eat all the food (at least Elm). Yang then turned to everyone.
"Counterpoint. How about we do wander off, considering breaking things, and then all that other stuff?"
(Y/N) chuckled as Weiss pointed to the com in her ear.
"We'll be in touch."
She and (Y/N) walked towards the staircase, only to be cut off by Whitley.
"Dear sister. I was hoping we could use this time to catch up."
"Oh..." Weiss said, not thrilled in the slightest.
"I have to know, why did you go through so much trouble to leave home, only to come crawling back?"
Weiss sighed and (Y/N) snarled.
"She's not here to appease the rat you call a father."
Whitely looked at him, displeased. "So, this is the stray you adopted at Beacon."
"He's not a dog, Whitley." Weiss warned.
"Oh, of course not. He's your precious little brother."
(Y/N) rolled his eyes. "Jealous much?"
Weiss elbowed him. "Well, Whitley, I'm sure the company is lucky to have you, but if you'll pardon us."
Weiss moved towards the staircase, but her brother stepped in front of her. "And where exactly is it you're going?"
"Careful!" (Y/N) heard Nora say, turning to see her with a mountain of food on her plate. "Messy food comin' through!"
He smirked as he quickly put the pieces together, taking a step back to avoid getting hit by food. His split focus also made it hard to listen to the siblings' conversation. As Whitely droned on, Ren passed, "bumping into Nora", who began to lose balance.
"Oh no, look out!"
She tripped and the food went flying, only for a woman to walk right into the line of fire and get covered in food, saving Whitley. The woman screamed, causing servants to come rushing to help. (Y/N) sighed before using his tail to trip one, causing him to splash Whitley with red wine. As the woman ran off crying with the staff, Whitley was left dripping as (Y/N) quickly wrapped his tail around his ankle and struggled not to laugh. There was a pause before the now purple head spoke.
"If you'll excuse me."
He walked off as Weiss looked at (Y/N).
"Nice recovery."
He grinned. "Live to serve."
Weiss led the way as the two headed deeper into the manor. They past quite a few rooms, one littered with photos of the Schnee kids, all looking various levels of miserable. (Y/N) acted naturally while Weiss was trying to be more cautious, only to back fire as they ran into another servant.
"Miss Schnee? Is everything okay?"
Weiss composed herself and courtesy. "I'm fine, thank you! Keep up the great work."
The woman nodded, getting back to her job and nodding politely to (Y/N) as she went. The boy put his arms behind his head.
"Relax. It's your house."
She sighed. "Right. It's just...hard...to feel comfortable here."
"Trust me, I get it. Let's just focus on our mission."
"Right, my father's study is just up ahead."
The two headed down the hall and stopped at a wooden door with an elaborate emblem above it. Weiss entered first, followed closely by (Y/N), before shutting it quickly before they could be spotted. What they hadn't counted on was someone already being inside.
"Hello darling."
Weiss stiffened as she turned to face a woman by the desk. (Y/N) knew immediately it was Weiss's mother given the white hair and blue eyes. He felt an uneasiness in Weiss, and looking at the woman, he could feel her soul radiating sadness.
She smiled weakly. "I'm sorry I couldn't come down for your party. I'm...afraid I'm not feeling well."
(Y/N)'s nose scrunched as the unmistakable reek of alcohol hit his nose. He thought he had gotten used to it thanks to Qrow, but given he had stopped drinking and (Y/N) had been training to use his nose lately, it hit way harder now.
"Um, it's okay, Mom, it's fine." Weiss lied.
Her mother's eyes wandered to the dragons. "Who's your friend?"
"Oh, this is (Y/N). I believe I told you about him before. (Y/N), this is my mother, Willow."
He nodded politely. "Nice to meet you, ma'am."
Willow nodded back. "Likewise, young man. Weiss...she looked happier talking about you last we spoke." Her face then fell as she turned back to her daughter. "What...are you two doing in your father's office?"
"Just looking for something I left." Weiss quickly said.
Willow stared down at her glass. "That's right, you...left. You left."
There was an uncomfortable silence before Weiss approached the desk.
"I need to use father's computer."
"Why?"
"Because...I think he may have done something...something wrong."
Willow gave her a look. "I thought we all simply assumed that at this point?"
"Yes, we'll, some of us are trying to do something about it." Weiss shot back sharply.
(Y/N) saw Willow's hand tighten around the rim of her glass. Trying to break the tension, he cleared his throat.
"Um, ma'am? This kind of wrong is probably more than your used to. It's around 'possibly being connected to a terrorist attack and/or rigging an election'. We really need to make sure he can't hurt anyone else."
Willow looked at him a bit skeptically. "He's...a bit young for this...isn't he?"
Weiss seemed to be getting a bit frustrated. "He's smart, and I can rely on him."
"Weiss." (Y/N) said, sensing the true intentions behind those words.
Willow did too, judging how she went straight for the bottle and drank it straight. She then put it down.
"He started locking his home computer."
Weiss looked surprised as (Y/N) started thinking of a work around.
"I could get Ciel. She could probably hack into it."
The older Schnee waved him off, picking up a device from the desk.
"He still has blind spots."
(Y/N) walked over to them and saw a live feed of a security camera in the office. Weiss looked unsettled.
"You put a camera in here?"
"I put them in every room of this house. For our safety, in case I ever needed to..." Her voice trailed off as (Y/N) flinched, hearing the brokenness in her tone. Willow looked at her daughter desperately. "You haven't come back to stay, have you?"
"No."
"Good."
Willow began to cry and (Y/N) quickly handed her a handkerchief lying around. She nodded to him in thanks.
"A man came by." She said, handing the monitor to Weiss and grabbing the bottle again. "I'm afraid your father may be involved in something more dangerous than he realizes."
"Clearly you're less blind than he is." (Y/N) huffed.
Willow chuckled weakly. "Quite a jokester."
The boy grinned brightly as Willow continued to speak.
"No matter what happens, Weiss, please don't forget about your brother."
Weiss blinked. "Whitley wants nothing to do with me."
"Eh..." (Y/N) groaning, knowing that was probably far from the truth.
Willow turned back to them. "Of course not, you left him alone. With us. And to him." She looked at (Y/N). "You replaced him."
Willow then walked out as Weiss and (Y/N) looked at each other. It was an uncomfortable thought for sure. For how annoying he was acting earlier, (Y/N) couldn't help but feel bad for Whitley. Being stuck alone with a creep like Jacques could only do bad things to a person. His hostility and jealousy towards the younger male also made more sense now. Weiss simply shook it off for now, walking around the desk and playing the video.
"Who are you?"
Playing the video, she saw a man in a coat with a bad mustache talking to her father rather dubiously. As they discussed Ironwood and the election, everything began falling into place. It was only then she heard the creaking of the desk. She saw (Y/N)'s claws sinking into the wood as he stared murderously at the stranger in the video.
"(Y/N)?"
"I know who that is."
"You do!?"
"Yeah." He growled, struggling to hold back his rage. "His name's Arthur Watts. He's supposed to be dead, because if he wasn't, he would've been at the top of Ciel's list of suspects for hacking into Mantle security. This is the guy, not only in Mantle, but what happened to the Paladins at Beacon. This was the hacker Pietro was talking about. And your dad is partnered with this creep."
"We have to tell the General and the Council!" Weiss said, running for the door. She stopped as she noticed (Y/N)'s hand clenched in anger. "(Y/N), what's wrong?"
He took a deep breath. "I'll tell you later. Right now, we need to help out Ironwood."
The two raced down the hall towards the dining room. Sliding to a halt, he heard Robyn talking.
"Hold on!" He yelled as he opened the door.
"You've got the wrong man on trial!" Weiss said as they walked in. "We know who's been framing Ironwood, who rigged the election, and my father does too. He's been working with him."
She placed the monitor on the table, projecting it for the two other Council members and Robyn to see.
The Councilwoman blinked. "Is that..."
"Arthur Watts." Ciel growled.
The councilman stood up. "That's impossible! Dr Watts died in the Paladin Incident years ago."
"Clearly not." (Y/N) said.
"W-what is this?" Jacques demanded from his daughter as tides turned against him.
Ironwood stood up, looking very angry, making (Y/N) hopeful he could set the rat on fire now.
"Play it." He ordered.
Weiss complied.
"That bastard is costing me more money everyday with this embargo!" The video Jacque said "I'd lay off every employee in Mantle if I wasn't trying to get their damn votes for this Council seat!"
"What if I said you can have your cake and eat it too?" Watts offered.
"What did you have in mind?"
"James Ironwood never recognized my genius. After everything I gave him, he still disgraced me. I simply wish...to return the favor."
"What's in it for me?"
"A seat on the Council. All I need is your login credentials for the Atlas network. You promise to make Ironwood's life a waking nightmare and I will guarantee you victory at the polls by giving the voters down in Mantle...a digital push, if you will."
"I always knew you were a good scientist, Arthur, but I never knew you were such a good salesman."
Weiss ended the feed as (Y/N) stepped aside for Ironwood, who had been approaching with murderous intent the whole time. This would be fun.
Jacque stood up, babbling excuses. "That is-I would never-! That...that isn't real."
"Jacque." The Councilman growled. "Take your seat."
Instead, he bolted for the door, only for Weiss's Armor Gigus summon to block the way. "Weiss!"
"Jacque Schnee." Weiss stated, pulling out her Huntsman license. "You're under arrest."
(Y/N) leaned over to Ironwood. "Can she do that?"
"We'll make an exception."
Jacques was made to sit down as everyone surrounded him, all looking ready to kill him, Ciel and Robyn especially. The rest of Team RWBY was called in to "watch the show go down" as their brother put it.
"I knew you'd stoop low to get what you wanted Jacques, but this?"
"Did you know about the attack in Mantle?" (Y/N) accused. "About Watts framing Penny?"
"Do you even know what kind of monster that man is?" Ciel hissed. "No, you just don't care."
"This is all a great leap, James." The rat tried to play off.
"No." Ironwood stated. "It's quite simple really. Now that I know Arthur Watts is alive, working with a madman like Tyrian Callows, it would be easy for someone like him to coordinate an unthinkable heinous act like the one in that warehouse. Watts designed Mantle's entire security network; he used that access to hack the surveillance system and frame someone else for the job."
They looked over at Penny, who frowned. Ruby gave her a hug as (Y/N) crossed his arms.
"Lives do matter to this creep. Organizing a massacre down in Mantle would be easy for him."
"Fortunately for us, someone stepped in before it got worse." Robyn said, side eyeing the boy who got a proud hair ruffle from Yang.
"Then stealing an election." Ironwood went on as he approached Jacques. "Then once you became a Councilman, your newly granted clearance gave him," He slammed his hands on the arm rest. "A back door into Atlas's security network! But you probably hadn't even considered that, had you?"
"The people that died and got hurt that night, their blood is on your hands." Robyn said.
"Jacques Schnee must be tried." The Councilman stated. "Not only for treason, but as an accessory to murder!"
"Don't forget terrorism." Ciel added.
"These are outrageous accusations! I only intended to win the election, I had nothing to do with-,"
"Only!?" Robyn yelled, breaking a nearby chair.
Even Ironwood stepped back for a moment.
"What else will he be able to do with the access Jacques' given him?" The Councilwoman asked.
The General's face fell. "With enough time...whatever he wants."
Suddenly, all of their Scrolls went off. Considering how quickly they turned to panicked expressions, (Y/N) could only guess even more bad news.
"What?" The Councilman said. "What do you mean the heat has gone off!?"
The girls gasped and (Y/N) gulped. The heating grid...without it, the people in Mantle would freeze to death!
"You have to believe me, I-I didn't know he was planning this!"
Winter glared down at her father. "You are going to shut your mouth and get the heating grid up and running again!"
Jacques shrunk back. "I...ugh...I've been informed that we can't get into the system. It's been blocked off."
"Without heat down there, people are going to die." Ciel said.
Ironwood looked close to a full blown breakdown and (Y/N) could see the cracks in his soul which had been growing over the last few weeks get bigger. Ruby approached him.
"General Ironwood, how bad is it?"
"He's using Jacques credentials. We can follow his activity on the network. If he's using the Amity System...No. The secret is safe...for now." Ironwood walked towards the door. "But, if he learns about Amity, she learns about Amity."
"Can you block his access?" Weiss asked.
"It's too late. He's starting to lock us out!"
"Can we trace him somehow?" Blake suggested. "Find out where he's hiding?"
"He's going to be mobile. We need his access point. We need to get him out in the open."
"Okay let me get this straight." Robyn butted in. "Yup, still here, everyone. How does a disgraced scientist and disappeared serial killer find each other, General? Why would they target you? And why are you working so hard to hide the Amity Communications Tower from them?"
(Y/N)'s eyes widened. "Wait, how do you-?"
Yang quickly covered his mouth as Robyn continued.
"I thought you were hiding something to protect yourself, but I can tell there's much bigger going on here. Now I think it's to protect something else: us, Atlas, maybe even all of Remnant. And you're afraid of what might happen if you tell the truth."
Ironwood looked at her in shock, only for Clover and Oscar to come bursting through the door.
"The Grimm are all over Mantle." Clover reported. "The air support's doing everything it can, but they can't easily target Grimm in the city without risking casualties."
"This..." Ironwood said. "This is what I was afraid would happen."
"Sir, we need ground support now."
"What we need is to start evacuating Mantle!" Robyn insisted. "If it's completely overrun, it's not going to be safe anywhere! Use the fleet to-,"
"If I move the fleet, then Atlas is vulnerable! I...ugh...I tried to keep the Kingdom safe, and know we're losing everything."
He leaned against the wall, clutching his head. Oscar then stepped up.
"General? Earlier, you asked for my advice."
"I wanted Ozpin's advice."
"And his advice probably would've been to keep your secrets. When we first got here, you already knew that wasn't the right course. You had a new plan."
"It's time to give up on that plan. It's all falling apart."
"The panic you were worried about, it's already happening! The secrets you're keeping, they're about to be in the open anyway. It's time." Ironwood turned to him. "Tell the truth."
"You're not alone." Ruby assured him. "We can do this together."
The General smiled at the two and nodded. "Thank you. Oscar? I think it's about time you get back to the Academy."
"I think you're right."
Ironwood looked past him. "Ms. Hill? Councilman Sleet? Councilwoman Camilla? There are some things you need to know about. Let's figure out how we can help Mantle, together."
"I've called a transport." Winter announced.
"What about Watts and Tyrian?" Yang asked.
"I can find Tyrian." (Y/N) said. Everyone turned to him, stunned. "Ciel's been teaching me to track by scent. After the attack, I remember Tyrian's. If he's down in Mantle, I can find him."
"(Y/N), no, not after what he did to you!" Blake said firmly.
"He won't get the drop on me this time. Besides, I need to settle the score."
"And he won't be alone this time either." Robyn assured. "I'll watch his back. I owe him one for saving Fiona and trying to protect me."
"You won't be the only one." Clover volunteered, looking at the girls who still didn't want to agree to this. "He'll be safe, I promise."
"...what about Watts?" Weiss asked.
"You leave him to me." Ironwood said. "Right now you're needed down below."
"All right everybody." Ruby said. "It's time to do our jobs. All of us."
"What she said." Clover agreed as they all headed out. "Let's make it happen, Huntsmen!"
(Y/N) lingered as they raced out, stopping next to Ironwood.
"General? When you find Watts, Ciel and I deserve a shot at him."
He blinked at the boy. "I understand Ciel, but why would you-?"
The dragon looked at him sharply. "You know why."
Without another word, he ran out to meet up with the others, passing Ruby and Oscar who he half thought were pulled a Nora and making an awkward love confession given the circumstances, but what did he know? Ruby quickly joined him as Oscar ran back towards the dining room.
He grinned mischievously. "Something interesting happen?"
Ruby's cheeks flared. "He's telling Ironwood!"
(Y/N)'s face blanked. "Oh, that makes more sense."
"Do you think it's a good idea?"
(Y/N) pondered for a moment. "The cracks on Ironwood's soul have gotten really big, but I think he needs to know going forward what the situation is. How he handles it is all up to him."
"I hope he won't be upset."
(Y/N) frowned. "Considering the circumstances, he can't talk about keeping secrets anymore in my book."
"Circumstances?"
"I'll tell you later. Mantle comes first."

Okay, just wanted to clarify that (Y/N) is helping with Tyrian, but can still go off to help his sisters or Oscar later.