Chapter 10

"C'mon [Y/N], don't be like that."

"Yes, honey, you can't sulk forever. You'll get wrinkles."

You paid their words no mind as you continued crossing your arms in the backseat of Jane's car. Your bottom lip was pursed out, and your eyebrows were furrowed as you gave them a deathly glare.

"Papa, our little sweetie looks like she wants to kill us," LJ teased as he giggled, "Oh, she's just giving me the chills!"

"Good, glad to know she's joining the family business," Jane chuckled. She angled her rear view mirror to look at you, and you caught her gaze. "Look, you might now believe me now, but this is for your own good. Staying cooped up in that house isn't good for you. We knew that a chance like this wouldn't come by anytime soon, so we kidnapped you. For you. Sue us."

"I hate you both. You're not my friends anymore."

"Oh god! The rebellious phase!!!" LJ wailed.

"Oh yeah? Let me level with ya. Do you really expect to get over your fear of the outside if you keep staying inside?"

Your hands dropped to your side; Jane hit your sore spot.

"That's right, don't think I didn't notice. You never go outside, even when Sally wants to play. We've invited you out before, to no avail. Hell, the most I've seen you do is water the plants on the veranda."

"I have my... Reasons."

She huffed, "I'm not asking for reasons; I'm asking for your cooperation. To let us help you. Because we care or whatever."

Jane's focus never strayed from the road before her, but you could see her ears glow a faint red. LJ just smiled sheepishly in the passenger seat, shaking his head softly. "Such a dishonest girl.." you heard him mumble. 

A warm tingle graced your heart, it was odd to hear Jane say something so endearing. Usually the two of them teased you when they were around, but to know that you held a small fraction in their cold dead hearts... It was incredibly humbling.

"...I'm sorry," you mumbled dejectedly, "I still want to be your friend."

"Oh [Y/N], That's so sweet of you---"

"But what if I don't want to be your friend?"

Jane's interruption shook you to your core, and you were unable to find a comeback. Slowly, the feeling of rejection overwhelmed you and tears started to form in the corner of your eyes. LJ was frantic, switching between scolding Jane for her cruel joke and trying to comfort you.

For the rest of the ride, LJ spent it sitting in the backseat beside you, comforting you and explaining the intricacies of sarcasm. Jane simply could not stop herself from laughing as she listened from the driver's seat. The trip ahead was sure to be a long one.

***

"Well, we're here."

Compared to the grandness of the Slenderman Mansion, this place looked like it was meant to be lived in. It was as if the obnoxious coloured rug was asking for the family dog to piss on it, or the grey marble on the open plan kitchen counters wanted spaghetti sauce to ruin it's day. The place desperately begged for a sitcom family to trample on it's sitcom wooden floors. Alas, its three bedrooms and shared bathroom would have to entertain the three of you.

Jane plopped herself on the couch, unsatisfied with the overall interior. Beside her, LJ joined her with a disgusted look on his face, as if reliving some bad memories. You helped yourself to examining the kitchen; the feeling of doing chores calmed you down in the face of this new situation.