Chapter 13

Tip tap

Tip tap

Tip tap

Jane paced the floor restlessly, her heels threatening to break the wood floors with every stomp she took. You wrung your fingers together in worry. EJ sat beside you on the couch, his hand on your knee as if trying to comfort you or perhaps to comfort himself. A little distance away, you could see LJ leaning against the door frame from the corner of your eye, his body language exuding an air of languid hostility.

"Just what do you think you were doing." Jane finally perked up.

"W-w-we, we were---"

"Not you, [Y/N]," a motion of her hand to your face stopped you in your tracks, but the deep seated anger in her eyes was directed at the man beside you. "I'm asking what you were doing."

EJ nonchalantly shook his head, angering Jane further. He responded casually, "I was just passing by."

"'Passing by"? You were making a lot of passes that's for sure."

"I just don't see what your fucking problem is."

"What do you mean what my problem is?! You're gonna get us all into deep shit if Slenderman finds out you've been sucking face with his precious little girl."

"Oh, and kidnapping her and bringing her to the city is somehow better than saving her from a creep who was about to whisk her away to a non-existent train station?"

"YOU'RE THE FUCKING CREEP!!! And LJ and I were close by, we could've handled it---"

"Close by doing what, Jane? What were you two doing that was SO important that you didn't realize [Y/N] was two blocks away from that dumb restaurant her supposed friends just love oh-so-much? Did you tell her? Did you tell her that you two go to the same restaurant whenever you---"

"Okay, enough" LJ interrupted.

All three heads turned to face him. It was an odd sight, seeing the clown with such a serious expression. Chills ran down your spine as he walked closer, and you could see that his sudden change commanded a certain respect that was able to stop Jane and EJ from bickering.

"Janey, sweetie," He placed a hand on her shoulder as he gestured towards the door, "Let's give them some time."

Jane gritted her teeth. "No, no, you can't tell me to do this. You know what this fucker is doing, you know we can't afford..."

"We'll be fine. [Y/N] will be fine. We talk about treating her like a grown up all the time; this'll be good for her." His grip tightened slightly as he looked at her imploringly. "Trust me."

"I..." For a second Jane looked at you. She looked conflicted, but you could tell she seemed to be battling some moral dilemma within herself. "Alright, just for a few minutes."

"Thank you."

"I'm not doing it for you, clown."

You watched silently as your two friends proceeded to leave the room, mumbling something or another to each other. Yes, the situation was dire, angry, and frustrating, but it was for reasons beyond you. You looked to EJ, his 'human' disguise of sunglasses and a mask now on to hide his face once more. Internally you wondered if what you did was wrong, if the two of you had done something bad. Guilt fell upon you.

"You just call me if he tries anything funny with you, okay?"

"Yeah," you gave Jane a stressed smile, "Thank you, Jane."

The door closed as your friends left the room. You are left alone with EJ once again, the atmosphere filling up with heavy emptiness. You feel confused by his tense body language, like his silence carries words he wished he could tell you. You could only wait for him to make the first move.

"I'm sorry."

"S-sorry? What exactly for?"

He scratched his head, "A lot of things, I guess. Especially letting my feelings getting the better of me back at the park.."

The hesitancy in his voice, was he going to suggest you two never speak of this again?

"You know, maybe we shou---"

"Don't!"

You pounce at him, putting the full weight of your body on him. EJ lays stunned as you look down at him on the couch. The expression on your face of frustrated anger.

"Don't tell me to forget it! I don't want to forget it! It was scary and weird but I still enjoyed..."

You cup his cheeks, placing a pair of shy lips on top of his mask.

"I enjoy being with you, Jack." You say shyly.

EJ seems to blank at your words. Fully capable of pushing you off him, his body cannot seem to muster the strength to push you off him.

"Well, actually, I was going to suggest we go out by ourselves next time."

...

What?

You face flushes a deep red, realizing your misunderstanding.

EJ laughs at your embarrassment. He hugs you as you bury your shame into his chest. A feeling of wanting to perish overwhelms your body.

"Oh dear..." You mumble.

"Pffft, didn't know you liked me that much."

"W-well, I do..." you grab his clothes, trying to cover your face as much as possible.

He sighs, "You're way too honest." You feel a hand ruffle your hair from above. "And way too forward."

"I-is that bad?"

"Nah, I kinda like it..."

He hugs you closer. The smell of him surrounds you. The smell of comfort with a hint of antiseptic. An odd scent, but a scent that inexplicably makes your heart beat faster.

Knock knock.

"Oh lovelies~" You hear LJ's muffled voice from beyond the living room door, "Please be decent, I don't think I'd be able to hold back Janey if she were to see you in the middle of the throes of passion!"

"WHAT!?!? EJ WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST  SAY---"

EJ couldn't help but sigh at the commotion coming from the other side of the door. You giggled a little to see him so exasperated. 

"I guess we better let them in, huh?" You tell him.

"Mmn, or else Janey here's gonna trash the place." EJ gingerly places his hand on yours, his mask already back on. Despite that, you sense him smiling softly at you. "Too bad we didn't continue where we left off, hmm?"

You don't answer, but you feel your face burning up from his words. Refusing to say anything back, you softly take your hand back and rush to the door. Your friends enter, fussing over you.

From behind, EJ resumes a stoic posture, his warm demeanor towards you disappearing. And yet, the smile behind his mask refuses to disappear.

***

A/N: Well, I did say I'd try to finish this novel eventually. Hope the last two years has treated everyone kindly.