Chapter 1

Walking towards the kitchen wasn't as hard as it used to be. You remember a time when these warm halls once filled you with anxiety. The rooms used to feel like cages and the stairs were a death trap. Now, this humble abode has become your own, every step a familiar one. For such a talented person such as yourself it would not be hard to navigate through the countless bedrooms, the grand living rooms, the welcoming foyer and the labyrinth of halls. And to think, all it took was living in the darn place for a year.

Still, that little hand that would catch up to you from time to time never failed to surprise you.

"S-Sally!" You notice the familiar little girl tugging at your shirt. "Don't scare me like that!"

"Hey, can I help you make dinner this time, [Y/N]?" She asked, her brown eyes filled with hope. How typical of children; whatever you say just flies by their heads.

You bent down in front of her and brushed the messy brunette bedhead from her face, your eye levels aligning. You placed your hands on the shoulders of the pink dress, a firm grasp to keep her in place, and gave her the most stern look you could manage. "Only if you promise not to put glitter in the strawberry cake this time."

She huffed her cheeks in mild annoyance. "Then make a prettier cake this time..."

"Oh, don't worry about that," you said with a knowing smile, "We're not making cake today anyway!"

 At your words Sally starts giving you frustrated jabs and any hint of that stern look from before is replaced by a hearty laugh. There was no way that Sally could hurt you for real, not intentionally anyway. Her childish actions made you understand Slenderman's sentiments of how she was like a daughter; you could never leave her alone because you never wanted to. However, not ever having kids of your own, you feelings leaned more to the sisterly type. Acting on your sisterly instincts, you take her hand and you both giggle the rest of the way to the kitchen.

As a responsible elder, you took on the more heavy and daunting tasks while assigning Sally the simpler ones. You watched her cheerfully beat the eggs until there was nothing left in the bowl while you cut the meat to their desired shape. Sure, you wished she'd stop hiding the vegetables or complaining that only you got to do the cool stuff, but then cooking with Sally wouldn't be as fun. Plus, you needed all the help you could get. This wasn't an ordinary dinner, after all.

An exploding egg and a burnt potato later, the last bit of the main course finally found its way to the oven. Tired from all your hard work, Sally and you agreed on a well-deserved cookie break. As you got up to pour yourselves a glass of cool milk, a familiar static sound filled your ears.

"I hope you two aren't ruining dinner." Slenderman, the one who took you in, stood by the entrance of the door.

Sally jumped up to great him, cookie crumbs sprinkled on her bright smile. "Slendy! You're back!"

"Slenderman, sir, welcome back." Your tone was laced with the utmost respect, but your smile was just as delighted as Sally's. Being under his strict care, formal etiquette was taught the moment you were brought in and you have been calling him 'sir' ever since. "Dinner should be ready by 6 o'clock."

"Excellent," he responded as he picked up Sally in his arms, "I trust a year of cooking lessons has not gone to waste, yes?" You could tell he was jokingly inquiring if the huge dinner was too much for you to handle. Since living here, you had been able to pick up on the small emotional hints laced in Slenderman's words and realized that he didn't need a face after all.

"I'm only as good as my benevolent teacher, Sir." You said with a slight chuckle. You could tell that if he had the mouth, he'd be smiling as well. He set Sally down and you gave her the glass of milk you prepared. She gulped it down in a flash, giving both Slenderman and you no time to share any words in the time between.