Chapter 7

"... and they weren't able to get the pecans for the pie---"

"It's pronounced pecans."

"That's what I said. Pecans."

"No, you said pecans. It's pecans."

"Pecans."

"No, pecans."

"Pe... cans?"

"What the f***, are you deaf? It's peca---"

EJ was interrupted by loud impatient banging from the other side of the table. Sally sat there, the source of the noise, with a rather distasteful look on her face. The white page in front of her was scrawled with unfinished math questions, and it was obvious she was stuck on one of them.

Rising up to her aid, EJ left your side of the table. Stretching as he rose from his seat, he tapped the page you were reading, silently telling you to finish the chapter on your own. You nodded and stuck your nose back into your less-than-stellar story.

Two weeks of private tutoring proved to be very helpful for you, as well as Sally. While you were required to study a range of subjects such as math and science, you especially enjoyed learning about language. Reading became enjoyable, surprisingly, and you were eager to finally read the medical books EJ always seemed to have on hand. He insisted that you start slow though, much to your dismay. Often, he would read by your side in case you ever got stuck on a word. The gesture was very helpful, and you soon found yourself anticipating EJ's visits.

You peaked up from your book to see him leaning over Sally, pencil at hand to explain why 42 was not the answer she was looking for. For a moment, you felt entranced by his looming figure calmly explaining the subject. The thought of him doing the same to you in close, if not closer, proximity tempted your mind. You pushed the thought away.

When you faced your book again, you heard EJ returning to the seat beside you once more. Your body stiffened, ashamed at your earlier thoughts, as you tried to focus on the story. EJ seemed satisfied with your efforts, and didn't notice your unusual skittish behaviour.

"Is Sally alright?" You mindlessly asked.

"Yeah," he sighed as a teacher does when he's tired of his students. "Just forgot to carry the one, y'know how it is."

Your cheeks rouged. "Well, uhm, since I'm not as good at math as Sally, I actually don't know."

"No, no, I didn't mean it like that. I meant..." EJ paused to think of what to say, ultimately concluding there really wasn't anything he could say. "Moving on, how's the reading going?"

"I just finished," You smiled with pride, "I was just about to pick another one to read."

At that, EJ offered to accompany you to the bookshelves. You shook your head, insisting he stay by the study tables to help out Sally, not wanting to distract him. He shrugged it off, saying Sally would be fine as he pointed at her direction.

Frankly, she looked rather focused on her work to notice your conversation. She waved a hand at you, eyes never leaving her worksheet. "Yeah, yeah, I get it. Just don't forget your promise, Ew-J."

You felt confused, "Promise?"

"It's just a thing," he waved off dismissively, "Anyway, you were saying something about reading?"

Curious behaviour, you noted. But you brushed it off, the excitement of getting another book overtaking you.

The two of you found yourselves a little farther back in the library, Sally almost out of view. It's not that many of the books didn't interest you, but EJ turned them down since they weren't at your level yet. You pouted but complied and finally settled on a book you two could agree on.