Prologue

Your breath escaped you; it was getting harder to breathe. Your eyes scanned your surroundings, the instinct to escape kicking in. It was hopeless, tree after tree after silhouetted tree filled your line of vision. Anything useful for escape was hidden underneath the darkness of the night. The moon shone through, only to serve as a means of making it painfully clear you were going to die in a forest.

The mysterious black tendrils wrapped tighter and tighter around your abdomen. You could feel your breath being cut off, as well as circulation towards your lower body parts. Your perpetrator was behind you, not that you could see anything in the darkness of the forest around you. So dark, so black, it was like the abyss was closing in on you.

You struggled against what was to come, refusing to die just yet. Not one minute out of that forsaken mad house and you were already destined to never go anywhere else. Your eyes became blurry, from your hitched breath or hot tears you didn't know. And when you finally let out a laugh of self pity, that was when he came to view.

White. 

It pushed through the darkness like a ray of ironic hope. You could tell where the tendrils came from, as the moonlit sky made just enough light to make it painfully obvious that they erupted from his back. You looked at him straight on, if he could even be called that.

A pale face void of features. No eyes, no nose, just the hinted indentation of where they might have been. The creature wore a suit, neat and proper like the occasional men who could come to visit you back home. Was it a human? No, his lanky arms and tall build were more like a visual exaggeration of what was considered human. Despite this monster's appearance, you did not scream.

Why scream at a familiar no-face?

"You're here..." The words came out like a plea for air, devoid of reason. You felt the tendrils soften their grip ever so slightly; interest piqued by your words. "Well, you're always here."

The creature's head continued to face you, as if he was staring at you. No words came out of him, and he stayed still like a statue. The silenced unnerved you and it was worse now that he wasn't trying to kill you anymore.

"It's your fault, you know." You decided to continue in a newfound annoyed tone. "I was stuck in that asylum for all those years because of you. They didn't believe me when I said I saw you by the windows. They didn't believe me when I pointed out the TV lost connection whenever you came to visit. They didn't believe me and put me in that room and yet...."

Still being held up by his tendrils, you felt yourself stroking them. "I knew... I knew I wasn't crazy and yet..."

The tendrils that once gripped you so strongly suddenly unraveled before you. You fell to the grass with a loud thud and the pain of it quickly followed. You rubbed your behind in response, your voice expressing your disdain. Distracted by what happened, you barely caught your perpetrator's voice.

"I remember you," the voice came out masculine, but seemingly covered up by what sounded like static. "You're the young lady who never could mind her own business. Quite the pest, I must admit."

"P-pest?" Your voice grew angry. 

"Things were going according to plan, but your actions were too distracting. You are not the one who was meant to spot me." His voice was nonchalant yet his words seemed to look down on you.

"I--"

"No more words," he interrupted, "The conversation has become meaningless. I have no need to dispose of a child such as yourself." His hand reached out to yours as he hoisted you up. Back on your feet, he placed a hand on top of your head, as if in reassurance. "Leave this place. Do not come back. Speak not a word of what you saw today, though it is unlikely anyone will believe what you say."

He walked away from you, black tendrils seeping into his jacket suit yet leaving it unscathed. He had showed you the mercy of letting you live another day, but you of all people knew there was nothing left in the human world for you to live for. Before you knew it, you had already caught up to the mysterious man, a hand clutching onto the corner of his suit.

Eyes on the ground, you tried to explain yourself. "I can't go back there. I hate it there. The people there aren't nice..."

"Is that so?" Once again, no emotion seeped through his voice.

"It's your fault no one believes what I say so..." The tears were hotter now, filled with anger. "... Take responsibility for ruining my life!"

You felt him slightly flinch at your words. A familiar black tendril wrapped around you once more, but it was gentler now. Once again, you were lifted from the ground and then brought face to face with the creature once more.

"You must be crazy." He pointed out.

"That's not new."

"You're asking a deadly monster for a home."

"I don't have anywhere else to go."

"Have you no family?"

You were shocked by the question and your eyes looked down to the ground in sadness. "N-no..."

He let go of you, carefully placing you on the ground this time. You looked up to him in awe, wondering what he will say. His hand made its way to his head; he scratched it as if contemplating on what to do.

"You could die if you stay with me, child," he said in pity. The tone made you flinch, you didn't want him to feel sad for your circumstances.

"I would've anyway, even if you let me go."

A sigh escapes him, and he walks away from you once more. You look on in shock with the impression that he has abandoned you. You hug yourself from the cold and sink unto the ground, letting a wave of loneliness set in. However, you're surprised to have him turn to you once more, his hand gesturing you to follow.

"Sally tends to get lonely when I'm off on business. Perhaps you could offer her some company?" His words ignite a smile on your face and you hurriedly take his hand of guidance.

"Does she live with you?" You inquire.

"Yes, she might be what one would call 'my daughter.' Though, we have no blood relation whatsoever." He chuckles a bit to himself as if in fond memory.

A playmate already and all you had to do was almost die. "Must be nice having a dad," you say absentmindedly.

He turns to you as he walks, a contemplative pause is shared. "What is your name, child?'

"[Y/N]." You answer, a soft smile gracing your face at the words 'child.' "And you, sir?"

He pauses again, as if looking for the perfect way to frame his words.

"They call me the Slenderman."