~Chapter 2: Hat-Man Begins~

(A/N) Okay, my sister got mad cuz I didn't mention her in the last chapter. She did, in fact, help me come up with this idea, so yeah.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jack looked up from the pages of the book and stared at the bird. "This city needs a hero," he decided, and the Pigeon nodded.

Exiting the room, Jack left his apartment for the first time in weeks. Travelling to try and find a teacher to help him learn how to face his fears and stop crime.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Time skip: One Year
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jack stepped off the airplane and into the bustling crowd, happy to be back home. It had been a while since he'd last seen Shay or Lee (that's what he named the Pigeon), and he felt homesick. He also had a lot of work to do, and hoped Lee would join him in his first escapade. He had spent a year training under a man only known as "The Chief Demon", working hard to perfect an assortment of martial arts and fighting techniques, whilst also learning a few life lessons, of course.

He also learned how to sew and "The Chief Demon" helped him craft a suit just like Batman's--which Jack was very excited and proud of. And he learned how to bake, too, in his spare time.
~
Leaving the airport, Jack rode a bus to his apartment and began to set up his "Batcave", and impatiently waited until night to try his suit on.
Lee flew into the room and landed on the couch, not noticing Jack had returned from a year long trip.
Jack sighed, catching the bird's attention. Lee flapped it's wings a few times before flying over to greet Jack.

"Don't you dare touch me," he jokingly warned. "I need you to be my sidekick."
Lee tilted his head, and Jack took that as a sign of agreement. "I'll be Batman, and you'll be Robin!" Jack grinned, but Lee didn't look as enthusiastic. Jack rolled his eyes. "It'll be fun, I promise."

~

Time passed by and Jack had finally gotten Lee into the Robin sweater he had made for him, and had gotten himself into the batsuit and added his hat to the outfit, too.
They were ready for the night, and Jack was practically radiating with excitement and energy, while Lee was radiating with hunger, maybe.

Jack ran through the night, Lee flying alongside him. He tested out his grappling hook, smoke bombs, and other gadgets, while running from rooftop to rooftop. It was exhilarating, but the fun was cut short when Jack heard a scream, he then remembered why he was doing this in the first place.

He dropped down into an alleyway where he heard a lady's cry for help, and sure enough there was a young woman getting mugged. Swiftly, he grabbed the gun out of the man's hand and knocked him to the ground, leaving the mugger unconscious.

The woman's breaths were ragged, but she managed to whisper, "Who are you?"
Jack inwardly grinned, knowing this was one of the best parts of being a superhero. "I'm Batman," he stated, cheekily.
The woman snorted. "More like Hat-Man. Why are you wearing that, anyway?"

Jack looked down in slight embarrassment. Maybe the hat wasn't such a good idea, but who's ever heard of someone called "Hat-Man"? That's stupid and ridiculous! Surely the name wouldn't stick.

~
After making sure the girl was safe, although reluctantly because she had been rude, Jack continued his escapade with Lee.

They stopped some wannabe thieves, more muggers, etc. And every victim would call him "Hat-Man", which only made Jack more mad, and Lee more hungry (or something).

Sitting on the edge of a rooftop, they stopped for a break. "I don't understand why they can't get that I'm Batman! And why do they keep calling you Pigeon? Is the 'R' on your sweater not big enough?" Jack ranted on and on before being interrupted by a loud crash coming from a nearby skyscraper. Jack jumped to his feet, shooting a grappling hook toward the noise.

The building was dark and quiet, bodies littered the floor--all dead. Jack examined them and found no traces of outside wounds... What did this?

Footsteps sounded down the hall, and Jack quickly sank into the shadows, following the person.

The first night on the job and he'd already gotten a big supervillain! Jack was excited, but scared at the same time.

He followed the person down more hallways, only being able to see the outline of them. He was ready to attack from the shadows, when the bad guy attacked first, surprising Jack and knocking him into a wall.
Jack's eyes met the villain's and he couldn't believe who he was seeing.

"Ryan?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(A/N) Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I wrote this late at night.