Chapter 50: results

Start from the beginning

I understood why he wasn't here. And I admired his strength and bravery. So I intended to be brave from back home, too.

After we lost the baby, Xavier and I hadn't really talked about it, aside from the fights and therapy sessions.

But during the pregnancy was the best time of my life. We both seemed a the peak of life. We were connecting with each other; happy with our lives and everything going on in them. Everything seemed perfect.

We talked constantly about the life we wanted for our child, our children.

Then, it all vanished. It was right beneath our fingertips. Then it wasn't.

He had been gone for a few months now. And I hadn't gotten my period.

So I set up this doctors appointment to see if we were finally going to get another shot at a family together.

I was so excited to have another little life growing inside of me, even if the possibility of losing another baby scared me beyond belief.

When I pulled up into the parking lot, I took several breaths, trying to contain my excitement.

I was basically jumping with joy, but trying very hard to contain myself.

"Delaney Taylor," I said to the receptionist.

"Have a seat. Someone will be with you in a moment," the lady instructed me.

I did so reluctantly, my patience wearing thin.

So, the next few minutes were a struggle, until a nurse called me back.

I followed her, listening and answering all of her basic questions.

She took my measurements and everything.

"Alright, the doctor will be back soon," she said kindly, then left, shutting the door behind her.

I looked around at all the posters, reading information about diseases and seeing pictures of adorable babies.

I grinned, seeing myself holding my own baby soon.

My daydreams were cut short by a bubbly woman stepping into the room.

She looked middle aged with blonde hair and glasses. She was reading her clipboard–assumably notes about me.

After scanning my chart, she looked up at me and started talking.

"Hi, I'm Doctor White," she held out her hand.

I returned the gesture, shaking her hand firmly. "I'm Delaney Taylor."

"So you think you may be pregnant," she says in a question tone, waiting for me to confirm.

I nodded my head nervously, watching as she pulled out equipment.

"Alright. Well, we'll do some tests to find out if that's the case," she spoke kindly.

We took the tests and she left. I sat back and waited for the results.

When she came back in, I couldn't read the look on her face.

She wore a mask that I was sure all doctors had. The one that wouldn't let patients get upset by whatever they were about to learn.

I drew in a sharp breath, wondering why me being pregnant was such a hard thing for her to deal with.

Was it because of my age?

Maybe I wasn't pregnant yet and she didn't want me to be upset by it.

I watched her pull out the chair, placing herself directly in front of me.

She folded her hands carefully, and made her face soften into a concerning look. She looked directly in my eyes and spoke.

Breaking my heart into a million pieces.

___________________

LIKE, COMMENT, SHARE

What do you think she said?

How did you like this?

This book is almost over and I'm so sad! This is my first book, and I really love the characters. It's going to be rough to end it.