Chapter 13: Yasmin

A man approached me and pulled me up by one arm.

"Argh!" I yelled as it felt as if my shoulder was being dislocated. He had no sympathy. I was dragged along into the dark room. It soon opened up into another room, a light grey concrete room. The man slammed the door shut and I was left alone. What should I do now? Should I use this as a chance to escape? Oh no, I remembered what Trent told me. They know and can see everything. Would I ever have a chance to get out of this prison?

The lights suddenly brightened and I had to shield my eyes to adjust to the change. I was now standing in a completely white, empty room. What kind of a test was this?
A voice started to speak, a robotic female voice. Only it wasn't coming from speakers. I could hear it, somewhere in my mind it seemed. Had they now found a way to pick through our brains? Who the hell were these people and what right did they have to have this sort of access? This was not right.

The voice spoke, "Hello, Yasmin. Welcome to your initiation procedure. You will complete one test in one minute. Good luck." Her voice sounded friendly, almost, but didn't have the warmth of a real persons voice. A countdown began. I was still processing that these people could actually speak into my brain. Who knows what this association could do with this sort of power.

The final number was spoken and the room went silent. In a split second, two people appeared. I recognised one, vaguely. I suddenly realised it was my mother. How could I not have recognised my own mother? Had they put something else in my brain?

My mother had tears in her eyes and she reached out her hand. She mouthed my name. Soon, a man appeared next to her. He looked vicious and dangerous. He was holding a gun to her head.

"No!" I screamed, my lungs bursting. The robotic voice reappeared in my head again.

"There is one way you can save your loved one." The monotone voice spoke. I tried to run, but realised it wasn't physically possible. I couldn't move. This was like a bad dream, or a nightmare. I needed to get somewhere desperately, but my body wouldn't permit me. I felt frustration well up inside of me. This felt so real. It has to be real. There is my mother, right in front of me. I have to save her. I closed my eyes tight, seeing if I could wake myself up from this.

Then, a thought popped into my brain. A thought I didn't recognise. An image of a gun held by my own hand appeared in my head and I saw my mother's face right in front of me. I thought, for only a moment, where the best place to shoot the gun at her would be. What was I thinking? I wasn't the one about to kill my mother. I abruptly lost concentration and opened my eyes. No one was there. I was standing in the empty room, alone, once again. I was so confused . Had that really just happened?

Before I could process what had just happened, the South American guy, Alexis, marched in. I almost felt relieved when he appeared. Something about him was reassuring. Maybe it was his innocent looking face, despite his constant anger, or his confident stride. Or maybe it was the thing we had in common. A hatred for Trent. But the way he hurt Trent was uncalled for, even if they did have a bad history. I seemed to hate so many people without even wanting to. I never used to be a hateful person.

"Come on. It's over now." Alexis spoke. His voice was so soothing and deep. He was really attractive, but I can't trust him, not after he hurt Trent.

"Yasmin isn't it? Are you alright?"

"No, I'm not." I spat yanking my arm from his grasp. "What just happened?"

"Don't worry. It wasn't real. It was just a test." He turned to face me as we stopped in a dark corridor, the light highlighting his perfectly sculpted features.

"And about that guy... I'm sorry, I know it was horrible, I shouldn't have let my anger take over, it's just... he has hurt my family and me so much." He gulped. "He killed my brother Yas. I'm so sorry if I ever hurt you, I mean no harm your way. Just Trent." He breathed as he stroked my arm. His words seemed so comforting and real, and his face was painted with pain. I hated Trent, that filthy liar. I wanted him dead.

"How can I trust you when you're part of them." I said. He stopped and looked seriously into my eyes.

"I'm not part of them. Not really. I want out, and I want to get all these innocent people out. This is the only way. I'm not the bad guy, Yasmin. If there's anyone you can't trust its Trent." he whispered into my ear. I felt his breath against my cheek. It smelt sweet and warm.

"But why your family?" I asked softly. We continued walking.

He shook his head and faced away "It's complicated. I'm sorry." he seemed to stumble on words.

We began to exit the corridor, opening to the base of a flight of stairs. He held my arm, but not as tight as the others had. He started to slowly hike up the stairs.

"So you've had a long history with Trent?" I asked him, cautiously.

"Well we used to be friends actually. But he used me, and my family. And as a result of my stupidity my brother is dead. It's what Trent does. He cons people and discards of them when he can no longer use them. He's such a parasite." I could sense the hatred in his voice.

"Believe me, I feel the same." I scoffed.

He threw a smile in my direction. His teeth were so white and glistening.

"He seems to like me though. And I have to put up with it, I'm stuck with him here."

It just occurred to me that he was actually talking to me. Why wasn't he treating me like the others had? The other hundreds of guards who all looked the same and treated me the same. Alexis was different.

"Careful Yas. Do you mind if I call you that? He is probably trying to trick you, to gain your trust so he can use you to get out if here. I don't want you staying with him. I could move you somewhere else if you like. I will check with Boss, only if that would make you feel better?" A warm smile glided across his face. It felt like he was an old friend, like I've known him forever.

"Uh-um, yeah" I was stumbled for words. He was looking out for me. But why?

I started to shiver. It was freezing here, wherever we were. He began to slip off his jacket and placed it around my shoulders. I felt so much better instantly.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" Alexis stopped and turned to face me, "Not out of the building of course, but someplace fun that I know of?"

"You have no idea how much I would love that!" I beamed at him, "Wait, what about that test? Do we get any results or something?"

"Yeah, eventually. But for now follow me!" He seemed excited. Maybe I was the first person he'd talked to like this in a while. He acted so different now, like it was a whole other person who broke Trent's ankle the other day. I felt a smirk creep onto my face as I remembered Trent's ankle being shattered to pieces. He didn't stand a chance against muscular, strong, tanned Alexis.

His pace increased to a steady run up the stairs, I wouldn't have been able to keep up if it weren't for his guiding grip.

We arrived to the very top, where he pushed open a fire door, and we were engulfed in a dark room.