Jack tried not to stare at Chase, but he kept seeing Ben. Chase was dressed in civilian clothes unlike other military Jack had seen at the processing center since he'd arrived the day before. A brown leather holster hung low on Chase's hips, giving him the same roguish look he'd had when they first met before the invasion. The black pants, boots and loose-fitting khaki shirt—his resemblance to Ben was uncanny. His brother.

"Colonists, it's good to see you." Chase waved him into the room. "Come in and have a seat."

"I need news. The war. Torredo. I have so many questions." Jack wandered to the window. The view from the conference room was spectacular. A pristine lake, distant mountains. Ben would approve. "But I have some news, good news, I have to tell you."

Chase had settled into a chair. "Sounds intriguing."

Turning back to Chase, Jack noticed another vidcam. The muscles in his throat tightened. The Riga were watching and listening. They were on his side, so maybe his concern was unwarranted. But it didn't seem right. The news he had for Chase was personal, private. Not something to share even with eavesdropping good guys.

"This doesn't seem like the right place," Jack told him.

Chase saw him checking out the cams. "When you're done here," he said, "I'll take you to this great café in Kasara. We'll have a drink or two and talk."

"Good." Jack sat across from Chase at the marble-topped table. "I've heard reports my uncle was arrested. But no one at the processing center would answer my questions. What have you heard?"

"Nothing encouraging," Chase said. "Transmissions on standard frequencies have been cut. Military bases, the spaceport, and defense platforms locked down. Civilian traffic has ground to a halt."

Chase's Torredo update revealed no surprises. Corona had followed every standard protocol Jack was aware of. He knew the Riga battlecruiser Independence had significant damage. And Chase confirmed it had been tractored, boarded, and her crew imprisoned. Norse had complete control from Corona Headquarters.

Norse's betrayal flooded Jack's thoughts. "We jumped right into Norse's trap," he said, his voice monotone.

Chase agreed. "We fell hard and deep."

"What about our comrades on the ground?" Jack asked. "Have we heard from anyone?"

Chase threw up his hands. "Our agents haven't checked in. Could be the comm blackouts, but the resistance has always been resourceful. If they haven't been captured, it could be they're just maintaining radio silence. Or they may be dead. I'm sorry, Jack."

Corona's track record was miserable when it came to enemies. Anyone captured was probably better off dead. Torture and execution were their flavor of the day.

Jack insides were tied in knots. Being cooped up on Rysis was like a throbbing pain that would only be relieved if he was on Torredo fighting Corona. Facing Norse.

He swallowed hard, fighting back a sudden flare of fear at the thought of seeing Norse. He wanted to understand why, but outrage was the only thing he should feel. Too many had been betrayed.

"When do we go back?" Jack asked.

Chase hesitated, clearly struggling to tell Jack bad news.

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"We can't go back. Not any time soon."

"What do you mean? We have to, and we need the Riga. And soon, while Corona thinks we're on the run."

"Jack, I hate this as much as you do, but we lost a quarter of our troops and the most advanced battlecruiser in the fleet." Chase rubbed his forehead. "We have no contact on the ground. Who knows how many have died. This defeat is our worst—"