A Birthday Surprise

Start from the beginning

Clary sneaked into the bedroom of the mansion, hoping Jace would still be asleep. She put the tray she was carrying down on the ground before she climbed back into bed. She bent over him, observing him for some minutes in his sleep, her fingers lightly tracing the outlines of his face.

She could never grow tired of looking at him and how soft and relaxed he looked in his sleep. She stroke one strand of his hair out of his face before she kissed him tenderly on the lips. She felt him smiling against her lips after responding to her kiss before he slowly opened his eyes.

"Hey good morning," he murmured with his voice huskily from sleep.

"Good morning and happy birthday to the most gorgeous person I can think of," Clary chuckled.

"Do you really have to remind me?"

"Why? Are we a little conscious about aging?"

"You're not making it better."

"Jace, I love you now and I will love you, even when you're old, grey and wrinkly."

"You really know how to make compliments."

"Well, I learned from the best."

"You should find yourself a better teacher. Tell me, are the others waiting downstairs?"

"No, we're alone here."

"What? No surprise party I already know about?"

"Not at this time of day and not here."

"It's more of a private party now?"

"Get your mind out of the gutter, birthday boy."

"You're not my birthday present?"

"That would mean, everyday would be your birthday and that would be a bit much."

"And what are we doing to celebrate?" Jace asked teasingly and pulled Clary closer to him.

"First of all I've made you breakfast, then there'll be as much birthday snuggles as you like and later you get your present and tonight we head back to the institute for your birthday party.

"Would they notice if we won't go there?"

"Yes, they would. And we still have plenty of time."

"Just give me a moment to get dressed and I'll see you in the dining room."

Clary untangled herself from him and got the tray from the ground.

"I wouldn't worry about that."

"That looks delicious."

"I know, it's your birthday but could you open the champagne?"

"Still afraid you might hurt yourself again?"

"Yeah, I'm too clumsy for these bottles. But you get an amazing variety for breakfast in bed and this grilled cheese here contains five different sorts of cheese and maple bacon."

"For those I'd open plenty of bottles of champagne for you. And did you say five different cheese and maple bacon?"

"Inded I did."

Jace opened the bottle of champagne and filled two glasses.

"To what do we drink?"

"Might be a bit obvious but to your birthday, Jace. The first one of many more we're going to celebrate together."

They clinked the glasses together and took a sip.

"I could get used to this."

"What? Growing older?"