Chapter 33 : Happiness

Start from the beginning

"I took five different tests for three days." She explained.

"But why not .."

"I wanted to go with you!" She blurted out.

He stared at her. An unknown feeling washing over him. He had messed up so big time. She was carrying their baby. He had not just hurt her but the baby too. She stepped forward and cradled his face in her palm. "Please, don't overthink now. I can't wait anymore to see what's happening inside my uterus." 

He chuckled. "I cannot wait either, Come!" Kissing her temple he walked with her to the parking. He was going to be a father. They would finally be parents. A family...their family. The thoughts excited him as much as they caused anxiety.

* * *

"I swear, Avi, my bladder will blast if I have any more water," Jaanki complained as her husband urged her to drink some more water.

"Didn't you hear what the doc said? She needs a full bladder."

"It's already full. I can feel it." She muttered.

"Jaan, don't you want to see the baby?" 

Jaanki sighed and took the bottle from his hand. She stared at him while drinking from it.

"My tummy will burst after this!" She exclaimed as he wiped her mouth, and water trailing down her neck with his handkerchief. 

"Okay, now walk." He advised tightening the cap of the water bottle. 

She stared at him narrowing her eyes. "I have walked a kilometer pacing up and down this corridor. No more."

"Jaanki, for the baby, please?"

She made a face and then got up. "You're walking with me," she muttered holding his hand. He agreed readily.

"Avi, nine months. Will I be able to manage?" 

"You're a fighter sweetheart. I am sure you will do it for our baby." 

She smiled turning her face to him. 

"I love it when you're this lovely-dovey husband with all the sweetheart, darling, honey, jaan."

He smiled glancing at her. "You will die of this sweetness, trust me!" He whispered.

"Such a sweet death!" She sighed dreamily.

"Whatever you say, I know that you absolutely love the spicy version of me any day over this sweet one." 

"No, I am bored with the bitter and spicy. I need the sweet one." She answered as they took an about-turn.

"No spicy? Seriously!" He teased, poking her tummy with his finger.

She leaned closer to him, "Bedtime spice is an exception." She whispered and pulled away.

He glanced at her with a raised eyebrow. "Such a spoilt wife."

"Your fault!" She shrugged her shoulders. Before he could say anything further the doctor's intern called them inside.

* * *

"Mrs. Mehra, is this your first ultrasound?" The gynecologist asked her gaze fixed at the screen.

"Yes. First-ever." Jaanki replied lying back on the hospital bed.

The gynecologist turned to her with a grin and looked at Avinash. "It's preferable to not wear a summer dress. Rita will help you adjust your dress up." Jaanki hadn't felt so embarrassed in days. How stupid for her to not think about it. She turned to Avinash who looked at her. She indicated him to turn around. He shrugged, mouthing.  Like I haven't seen. 

Jaanki glared at him. He sighed turning away. The nurse helped her raise her dress up and covered her legs with a clean bedsheet. Jaanki observed carefully as  doctor apply the gel on the equipment. She quickly held onto Avinash's hand which made him turn around. The doctor was now pressing the probe against her lower stomach while her eyes were fixed on the screen.

"Take a deep breath." Jaanki was told and she did. "Hold it." She was further instructed while the doctor pressed keys on the keyboard. She moved the probe and pressed it against her abdominal muscles. Jaanki's grip on her husband's hand grew tighter.

"Relax Maam." The intern suggested noticing Jaanki's anxiety.

"Take a deep breath and hold it." She was told again. 

After a few repeats of the same, the doctor looked at them smiling. She turned the screen so that the two of them could have a clearer view. "That's your little one." She said pointing to the screen. 

Jaanki smiled turning to glance at Avinash. He ran his free hand through her hair while raising her other hand to his lips for a kiss. She blushed, turning back to the screen. There were so many instances when he used to tease her that one day she'd be growing a big tummy with his baby. It was actually coming true. Damn! What more could she ask for?

"You're close to five weeks pregnant." The doctor spoke, "everything seems normal. Congratulations Mr.and Mrs. Mehra." Although Jaanki, hadn't expected five weeks, she was happy.

࿇ ═━━━━✥◈✥━━━━═ ࿇

Tried my best to make it seem realistic. Let me know if I goofed up anywhere.🙈

Would love to know your thoughts.

-Anami! ♡