Chapter 30 : Broken

"Broken people are the ones who always hurt, because they are made up of sharp pieces put together. You cannot hug them without being hurt."

Jaanki panicked. "Avi,  please stop." She pleaded, clenching her eyes shut at the sound of shattering glass. The glass pieces flew about as he crashed the glass bottle against the sink. He wouldn't pay heed to her words. She didn't try to stop him or get in his way. She stepped back, standing and watching in horror. 

Once the bottles were all into pieces he turned to her. His eyes still posessing those reddened rings. He stepped close and she stepped back fearful. His lips formed into a sad smile seeing fear glimmer in her chocolate brown eyes. The same ones that always held love for him now feared him. "Leave me. Before something really bad happens, to us or to you." He ran his hands through his hair in frustration.

Jaanki dragged herself down against the kitchen counter. Her motion similar to the tears that brimmed down her cheeks. Guilt washed him over and over, as he saw his wife breaking into bitter sobs. He had broken each promise he had made. He stepped back meeting the counter that had the sink. He fell onto the floor just like her. Her tears filled his guilt. Sitting right across from her he gauged how much he had broken her, intentionally or unintentionally.

She couldn't even look up to meet his eyes. She wondered whose pain was more his or hers. It was all her fault. She shouldn't have dragged him to the edge. Her repressed anger and complaints had erupted like hot molten magma. She finally looked up and horror filled her eyes. He had a piece of glass in his left hand. He was nearing his right wrist to the sharp piece to pierce it into his skin.  She scrambled close to him, shrieking aloud, "No." He wouldn't look up at her or stop. 

"Avi no, please don't." She cried,  trying her best to restrain his movement using both her hands. His hand wouldn't stop. He brought his right wrist close to the piece of glass.

"I deserve this. It will feel better." He spoke like a maniac. Having no other option, Jaanki put her right forearm right above his wrist as he drew a stroke, saving his from the injury. She bit her lips as blood oozed out of her forearm instead of his, in seconds. He glanced up at her shocked and dazed. Terrified he glanced down at her arm. "Jaan..." he murmured horrified.

"Please don't hurt yourself." She begged not bothering to tend to her bleeding forearm eventhough it stung badly. It stung very bad, but that was nothing when compared to the pain her heart bore. He stared at her in utter disbelief glancing at her bleeding arm. A tear escaped his eye as she wrapped her hand around his wrist to protect him from himself. This is what he was afraid of.

"Hate me, Jaanki. I hate myself." His next move was what Jaanki hadn't estimated.  He drew the piece of glass over his right forearm over the same old scar instead of his wrist, which he couldn't because she held on to his wrist firmly. 

"Avi, no!" She begged horrified. In a slow forceful manner, he dragged the sharp piece into his skin. Once. Twice. Thrice.  She hurriedly pulled his hand away screaming in agony. She snatched the piece from him throwing it away. The piece pricking into her palm in the process. Almost immediately she embraced him. "Please, Don't .."

"I love you...I love you..please..don't," she mumbled between her kisses. Kisses that were freely laid wherever her lips landed. She had never even in a nightmare imagined him to come to this state of despair.