Chapter 23 : Distance

"They say time and distance cannot separate lovers. Maybe it was time to find out how much of it was true..."

Jaanki sighed looking at her packed bags. She still couldn't make peace with the fact that she was leaving tomorrow to live with her friend leaving behind her husband. Lehar, her friend seemed worried for her when she had narrated to her the reason. She sat on the bed hugging the pillow staring at her packed bags. Here she was sulking and from the morning he hadn't shown a sign of despair. He had gone happily to the office. She had applied for leave for the next two days to sort put her mind.

* * * 

In the evening, while Jaanki was busy preparing all his favorite food he walked in rather tired. "Had an exhausting day?" She asked sweetly despite her bitter mood due to the situation.

"Yeah!" He muttered throwing something that looked like an invitation on the countertop, for her to see. She wiped her hands using the side of her apron and picked it up. He was invited to the Global Business Award where he was getting an award for Entrepreneur Of The Year. 

"Avi, this is awesome!" She exclaimed, happy for him.

"I bought the bloody award!" His words were sharp and lined with rage.

"Oh!" She mumbled staring at him. He bought an award. That was pretty hard for her to digest. She hated this kind of corruption and cocky attitude of people who thought they could buy honor and almost any other thing with money. Any other day she would have fought with him on the same topic. But she knew better now. There was a reason...that was yet to come. She waited for his explanation.

"Yug, the legal adviser suggested me to. There has been a word of mouth going around that I am a horrible person. To pour some water to cool the rumors we bought the award. We don't want to risk the company's image go down because of me." He explained looked pissed. Jaanki walked closer to take him in a hug.

"Jaanki, please. Stop this I pity you attitude. Your closeness cannot make me feel better. I feel like a piece of shit. And.." he paused when he saw the hurt on her face. "Shit. I..I" he rubbed his forehead and angrily picked up a plate and threw it on the floor. The steel plate made a loud sound, and danced a little before coming to a halt. Jaanki stood rooted on the spot not looking at him. His behavior had begun to scare her. Nonetheless, she was willing to try to help him. 

She held his hand, "come with me."

"Jaanki," his voice was loud. 

"Just come, will you!" Jaanki tried not to raise her voice. The therapist had strictly warned her against raising her voice when talking to him. Especially, when he was already angry. It would only be like inviting trouble. Jaanki led him to the room where she had hung the punching bag for him. "My anniversary gift!" She explained picking up the gloves and putting them on his hands. "It's burning right. Pricking even. Vent it out." She indicated him to go on. 

Avinash flexed his hand muscles. He looked at the punching bag. His jaw was tight. Jaanki slowly stepped away. He let out a curse and punched the bag. Jaanki took a deep breath and walked away leaving him to vent his anger out. This would be crazy. Way crazier than she saw it coming. 

* * *

Jaanki had set up the table for dinner. She sat at the dining table waiting for him. She wasn't going to go and see what he was up to. Her phone's ring broke her out of her thoughts. "Hi, Lehar!" She spoke picking up the call. "Yep, tomorrow.  Morning? Umm, okay cool. What time? Ten is okay. Yes." She ended the call sighing. Great, so she was leaving tomorrow morning at ten. She sighed. What was she expecting? For him to stop her. Je showed no sign that he needed her.

"Hey!" He greeted walking out dressed in his tracks and T-shirt. She glanced up at him

 "Dinner is waiting!"

 He passed her a smile sitting on the chair. Jaanki walked into the kitchen to bring the food.

She felt rather weird while serving food on their plates. She wondered if she should ask him how he felt or just pretend things were normal? She was propelled put of her thoughtful mind when he uttered a sorry. She glanced at him. "I really am sorry. I shouldn't have.." his voice trailed.

"Shh...It's not your fault." She kissed his forehead and stepped away to sit on the other chair. "Can you .." she momentarily paused and he looked at her curiously. "..go late, to office, tomorrow morning? Umm, Lehar is going out in the evening so she requested me to move in, in the morning." A thick silence fell. He nodded eating.

"Avi, have you changed your mind?" She finally asked to know what was on his mind.

"No." He answered chewing and gazing at her. 

"Okay. What about your therapy sessions?"

"Yukta was okay with evening slots. So after work, I will pay her a visit. Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The group therapy is on Saturday afternoons." 

Jaanki smiled. "So I have Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays to meet you, busy man."

He smiled. "It's like we are going back to our dating phase again. Isn't it?"

She giggled. "Except that you found ways of meeting me every single day then. You remember that guard, who gave us that toothy smile when you waited for me at the hostel gate."

"I think he was our first official shipper!" Avinash remarked with a grin. 

"Lol. But, Juhi was always one too. I thought she really liked you because she always kept telling me how nice you were, until she had to explain to me that she was rooting for us."

He smiled nodding and eating. Jaanki was slightly disheartened that he didn't notice she had cooked his favorite dishes. She managed to smile nonetheless. Reminding herself time and again that it wasn't him, it was his stupid disorder. 

࿇ ═━━━━✥◈✥━━━━═ ࿇

Do vote and express your thoughts.

Do you think she is very slowly drifting away from him?

-Anami! ♡