Chapter 18 : Relief

"Sometimes relief brings a storm..."

Jaanki slipped her hand into Avinash's as they walked down the hospital corridor. He held her hand tightly taking a deep breath as they made their way in to collect the reports. Neither had mentioned anything about the hospital or his disease or the action plan further. The past three days were spent in oblivion. They went about their life as though nothing had changed; like the happy couple content with their life. 

Although neither showed, there was a battle going on inside in each. Avinash didn't want to stay away from Jaanki but, that was the only way he could not hurt her. In the past three days, he tried making maximum simple memories he could. From giving her a head massage to cooking with her in the kitchen. From playfully texting her when she was at work to discretely taking her pictures when he thought she wasn't looking. 

Jaanki's every breath held a prayer. Just let him be healthy. She was preparing herself to be able to stay away from him. She was glad that he didn't mention anything about it again. But she knew the day had come. No matter what the report said today, she would have to leave. To give him space he required to recover and get in control of himself. However, a big question mark was to be answered today. She prayed that this was temporary. 

They were about to enter the neuro specialist, Dr. Rao's, room when she held his hand. He turned to her distracted at the sudden movement. She stared into his eyes not leaving his hand. She stepped closer and placed her lips on his. Not caring if anyone watched or judged them. She didn't give a damn to anything else. It was her silent way of wishing them luck. She felt him part his lips and join them quickly, to press against hers. He pulled back and raised her hands to his lips, managing to smile. As though whispering - we will make it through this. 

Time seemed to have stopped as they sat before the Doctor. "Nothing to be worried about!" The doctor declared smiling. Jaanki felt his hand tighten around hers. With tearful eyes, she smiled at him.

 "The reports of the scans and almost all tests seem normal. Just a few fluctuations in one or two things, which is nothing close to alarming." Yukta, his therapist who sat beside them also smiled. 

"However, I recommend cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy strongly. You have to practice it religiously. There is no cure as such but you can gain control over it. Therapy will help you recognize trigger points and help you cope with that. Also, I strongly recommend group therapy. Your therapist here tells me that you don't want to attend them. It may be a little awkward Avinash, but it works wonders. Understanding that you aren't the only one dealing with such overwhelming anxiety, anger and aggression really helps."

Avinash nodded simply. "Also Mr.Mehra, you need to be honest with your therapist. It doesn't help otherwise. As per scientific theories formed on bases of previous cases we suspect an unhappy childhood resulting in IED. Avinash's eyes immediately flickered at the mention. The doctor patted his hand that was placed on the table. "You need to let go of childhood. Accumulating and burying any form of negative and bitter memories is not good."

Jaanki momentarily glanced at him and held his other hand. "That is all from my side. Your therapist knows better than me to help you reverse your condition." He ended with a formal smile. They left the room to be led into another for a session with the therapist. 

Once they settle on the chairs, Yukta began. "So, a big relief." the other two managed a small smile. "Since Rao Sir has set the thought for the conversation, I will dive right into it. Avinash, you mentioned earlier that your parents died in an accident." As she read from the file she glanced up to analyze Jaanki's expression. She seemed not surprised. "That's right Jaanki, isn't it?" She interrogated.

"Yeah, that's right."She muttered holding his hand. 

"Avinash?" Yukta prompted.

"That's right!" he muttered taking a deep breath. 

"Avinash, I am sorry but my experience says you may be lying." Jaanki's face spelled shock as she heard that and she turned to him. 

"That's the truth," he spoke looking squarely into the therapist's eyes.

 His words were loud, clear and very crisp. "Avinash, you have convinced yourself that's the truth but you and I both know that isn't the truth."

"That is the truth, you're mistaken Yukta. My parents died in a car accident" He spoke assertively. Jaanki looked at the therapist and then at him. Avi wasn't lying, was he?

࿇ ═━━━━✥◈✥━━━━═ ࿇

Do vote and express your thoughts.

-Anami! ♡