Chapter 26: A spell stronger than magic

A/N: 12.04.20

Another update :)

For those who want to be ahead, chapter 29 is up on Patreon 🙆‍♂️ very exciting chapter.

How have you guys been doing lately?
I hope you're all well.

🍒🍒🍒

Noah sat in the passenger's seat, sinking into the soft leather as he watched the blurry trees outside his window. He then turned towards Aleksei, glancing at the curve of his jaw, his tousled dark hair, before stopping at his mesmerizing blue eyes.

"Is something wrong?" Aleksei asked softly. His voice seemed to always take a gentler tone, so did his gaze, whenever he looked at Noah. His eyes were still on the road, but he could hear the irregular beat of Noah's heart. He reached over to hold Noah's hand, lacing his fingers around Noah's and giving him a gentle squeeze, almost as if to reassure him that he could tell him anything.

"I'd like to get to know more about you," Noah said. "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"Why did you stop drinking human blood?"

The smile on Aleksei's lips slowly vanished and he raised his brows, taken aback by the straightforward question.

Noah always seemed to find the strangest ways to surprise him. Right when he least expected it, bam, Noah worked up his little magic and caught him by surprise. Those kind innocent eyes could fool anybody.

"I was expecting you to ask me about my favorite color or something," Aleksei admitted.

"Oh," Noah murmured, realizing that his question was maybe too blunt. "What's your favorite color?

Aleksei laughed huskily. "It's a bit too late for that now." He gently rubbed his thumb over the back of Noah's hand, thinking over the question before finally saying, "Do you really want to know?"

Even though his eyes were on the road, he could see Noah's eager nod through the corner of his eye.

"You might not like the answer," Aleksei warned.

"I can handle the truth," Noah promised. There was another pause. It had been a while since Aleksei had last talked about the subject. Everyone either brushed lightly over it or avoided the topic overall.

"There was a woman," Aleksei began, glancing towards Noah to see his reaction. He caught a glimpse of his frown before Noah could fix his lips into a more neutral expression.

'Maybe I shouldn't tell him after all,' Aleksei thought to himself, wondering if he should change the subject. 'But how? Should I pull the car over and kiss him? Anything to stop him from frowning...'

"Rosalind?" Noah guessed, remembering how Nyx had said her name when they were at his castle. He could still remember the anger that flashed through Aleksei's eyes that day.

Aleksei knew that even if he managed to distract Noah for a while, he'd eventually ask again. So he decided to tell him.

"Yes, Rosalind," he murmured, the name sounded so familiar yet foreign to his tongue. "A stunning woman, too. She had flowy golden curls and ivory skin, blue eyes brighter than my own and a laugh that could enchant any creature around her," Aleksei chuckled darkly, shaking his head as he remembered every trace of her feature.

Noah could tell by the way Aleksei spoke that Rosalind was special to him.

"Was she nice?" he asked, trying not to sound bitter.