Chapter 12: He's dangerous

Start from the beginning

He was struck by Noah's boldness. Aleksei has his suspicions that Noah knew exactly who and what he was, yet he couldn't sense any fear or fright from him no matter how many times he focused on Noah's heartbeat and breathing.

"I'll tie a knot in front of your waist so you can untie it later," said Noah, leaning forward and wrapping the strings around Aleksei's waist. It was almost as if he was reaching in to hug Aleksei and for some reason, he didn't hate it.

In fact, Aleksei wanted to pull Noah into his arms and press him against his chest to study Noah's warmth a little closer.

Aleksei remained completely silent, studying Noah's face who pulled away with the strings, tying a knot in front. Noah took longer than he expected to tie it, but he didn't complain because it gave him more time to look at Noah.

"There," smiled Noah proudly. He looked up towards Aleksei. He blinked at the rigid expression. "Um, is there something wrong?"

"What have you done to me?" Aleksei asked, catching him off guard.

What have I done to you?

"Is it too tight?" Blinked Noah. "I can always loosen the knot if you want."

Aleksei pulled away, realizing what he had just said and shook his head. "No, never mind. Forget it."

He returned to his side of the counter with he unmoving scowl on his face and Noah wondered what he had done to make him even madder.

He noticed that Astrid was glaring at him and stiffened at the scary look in her eyes. She nodded towards Aleksei.

"Go," she mouthed, tapping her wrist and indicating that they were running out of time. Noah held back a sigh and slowly approached Aleksei, expecting him to move away from him like he always did.

But to his surprise, Aleksei remained where he was. He didn't bother sparing Noah a glance, but for the first time, he let Noah stay close to him.

Noah pressed his lips together to hide the smile that was starting to form. He didn't think it'd make him this happy to stand beside Aleksei.

"Discretion is not your strong point," noted Aleksei monotonously. Noah flinched.

"I'm just happy," he admitted.

"Why on Earth would you be that?" Snorted Aleksei in almost a mocking tone.

"Because I thought you hated me."

Aleksei didn't answer which made Noah frown. "Do you?"

He was about to answer "yes" out of habit, but noticed the anticipation in Noah bright eyes. So he decided to change his answer and asked, “Why do you think that I would?”

Noah raised his brows. There was a list full of reasons he could of.

“The fact that you're always keep a one-meter distance from me could be an example,” Noah pointed out.

"Do you expect me to cuddle you?" He snorted sarcastically. Noah's cheeks flushed.

"No," he quickly stuttered. "I just don't want you to stay so far away from me like I'm some kind of disease. Do I smell bad or something?”

“On the contrary,” muttered Aleksei under his breath. 

“What was that?”

“Nothing,” he sighed, taking the bowl from Noah and pouring the mixture into each cupcake holder. “But to answer your question, I don’t hate you."

Noah smiled widely.

"You're really going to have to work on that," noted Aleksei and Noah tried his best not to smile.