I tapped the flap with my foot and it opened inwards. Huh, interesting. I shoved my bag through first and then crawled in after it, finding myself in some sort of storage room. I felt my phone buzz and looked down to see a message from Bobby.

- Don't make a sound. Go through the door on your left and go up the stairs straight ahead. Then climb the ladder at the top -

I followed his instructions and as I crept through the house I noticed a lack of a personal touch: there were no photos or anything. This didn't seem like the loving home Bobby had described. Paint was peeling everywhere, just like outside and the bare, muted walls made the house feel cold. When I got to the foot of the ladder I stared up into a gaping hole in the ceiling. I took a careful step onto the first rung and silently made my way into the roof.

"Bobby?" I whispered into the darkness.

"Over here." He whispered back, I ran towards him to pull him into my arms.

I took a step back from my best friend to get a good look at him and gasped. His tracksuit bottoms looked old and dirty. His t shirt was torn at the shoulders and had a few other holes in it. His face was peppered with bruises and I could see hand prints around his neck. His nostrils had dried blood around them and his lip was busted. His left eye was swollen shut and his arms were covered in more bruises mixed with a selection of scratches and scars.

My lip began to tremble and tears spilled over my eyes.

"Bobby, who did this to you?" I sobbed, grabbing him for another hug, failing at being gentle as I heard him take in a sharp breath. I don't think he minded though; he gripped me just as tightly.

"I've been lying to you, Ollie. They're not nice people. I don't have any friends. I don't play football. I don't even go to school." He confessed, whimpering into my shoulder.

I stroked his head, leaning my head on his shoulder. I sat down, pulling him down with me and we just sat there crying into each other's arms.

"I've missed you, Bobby."

"I've missed you too, Ollie."

There was a loud bang downstairs followed by messy footsteps and the sound of heavy objects being put down on the floor.

"They're back." My best friend said, becoming nervous and fidgety.

"BOBBY!" A powerful, booming voice echoed around us and heavy footsteps came up the stairs. The ladder began to shake.

In panic, Bobby shoved me into a corner and pointed to a blanket. I pulled it over me and cowered in fear. What nightmare has Bobby been living? I peaked out of a hole to see a mean face poke up into the attic.

"Why the hell did the dog piss on the carpet, you stupid boy?!" He shouted, slowly rising out of the floor, "Why didn't you let him out?!"

"I did." Bobby replied, weakly. He was clearly terrified.

"Don't lie to me." He gritted out, raising a hand in the air.

I screwed my eyes shut as tightly as I could. Afraid to see him get hurt. The sound was empty and bare; As raw as red meat. I heard a thump and looked out of the hole again. Bobby was on the floor, protecting himself in the only way he knew how.

The man started taunting him. Telling him to get up and fight 'like a man'. Bobby wouldn't move, only curling up tighter. The monster was about to get another hit on him but was interrupted by a banshee-like screech from below. He stopped in his tracks, rolled his eyes, then went down the ladder, slamming it upwards behind him. We were left in darkness. I heard arguing downstairs. Then, taking my opportunity, I ran to Bobby.

"I'm okay, Ollie. I promise." He let out a breathless laugh, coughing harshly before sending me a crooked grin.

I rested my hand on his shoulder and sent him a worried smile.

"Are they Mark and Sue?" I dared to ask.

He shook his head.

"I'm just unlucky, I guess. Only abusers want to foster me." He shrugged, wiping some blood that started to drip from his nose again.

"Are you okay?" He asked, eyebrows raised over his glasses-less eyes.

I stared at him.

"I am fine, you idiot. You, however, are not." I insisted, making my way over to my bag to find the little first-aid kit.

"Where are your glasses?" I asked, digging for the red pouch.

"They smashed in my first week. Kind of been half-blind for a while." He tried to joke.

I looked over my shoulder in pity before going over and sitting down with him, unzipping the kit.

Under the light of my phone I started to clean a few of his open wounds and, putting a bandage around his bruised-black hand, I tried to take care of him as best I could. I mopped up the blood on his nose and lip and then tugged my hoodie over my head and handed it to him. He smiled gratefully and put it on. It was baggy on him: He'd lost so much weight. Seeing this I went back to my bag and got out one of the cereal bars and chucked it over to him. He ripped it open and gobbled it down. I shifted uncomfortably, knowing how jealous of his situation I was before I knew the truth.

I sighed after a few moments of silence.

"I need to call, Hamish." I said, quietly.

Bobby looked up at me and nodded.

"But not now." He urged, "Tonight - when they're drunk and heavily asleep."

I agreed and so we went about setting up somewhere we could both sleep. We sorted through things in the attic while waiting until it was late enough.

It was three o'clock when Bobby said I could ring Hamish.

The phone rang. It was answered within ten seconds.

"Ollie? Sweetpea? Where are you? Please tell me. I can come and get you right now, little one." He blurted frantically.

I could hear hushed voices in the background and I guessed he was at the station, looking for me.

"I'm in London." I whispered, my voice trembling a little.

"With Bobby? Are you safe? Why didn't you tell me? I've been to hell and back worrying about you Olivia James!" I could hear that he was starting to get a little angry.

"We're in trouble." I nibbled at my lip.

He stopped rambling and I just knew his senses were switched on and he was as alert as a meerkat on look out.

"Are you in danger, Ollie? I need to know. Tell me everything."

"Yes, we are. I'm scared, Ham," I whispered tearfully, "Bobby's foster parents are like Mum and Dad. It's awful, Hamish," I sobbed, "We're stuck in the attic at his foster house."

"You sit tight, Ollie. Is Bobby with you?" He asked.

"Yeah."

He told me to give the phone to Bobby and Bobby listened carefully to my brother, giving the occasional sound of agreement. After a few moments Bobby hung up and handed me the phone.

"Hamish is on his way."

We crawled over to our makeshift bed and curled up, waiting for morning; waiting for our rescue.

Despite being back in the centre of one of my nightmares, I had Bobby, and my brother was on the way. I felt a glimmer of hope light up inside...

▸ ◂  END OF CHAPTER 26 ▸ ◂

Man, I sure do feel like a piece of poop for leaving you guys hanging for so long...I'm sorry! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter - I cried A LOT! I'll try not to make you guys wait for another three months for the next instalment...oops! Thank you so much for being amazing, patient readers - love you all! Again, I am so sorry! Especially if some of you (who probably won't even see this) stopped reading because of the wait. Thanks again. Please comment and vote! Toodles! - 🐝