Chapter 23

Kai's POV

It's later that day, me having showered and relaxed with Lukas all day. Dinner time is coming up, and Lukas wants me to meet his family.

To say I'm insanely nervous is an understatement. My hands are clammy, beads of sweat dripping down my face. My heart is racing, my breathing quick.

His parents must hate me! I'm the kid that bullied him when we were best friends! What kind of awful person does that? Me. That's who.

Lukas' parents are cooking for us, making it easy for us to just show up. At least if I was cooking, I'd have something as a peace offering.

I didn't have any time to prepare, mentally or physically. I should have bought them a gift! Surely they would like me more if I bought them a gift.

It's time for the dinner, my nerves at an all-time high. We walk down to the level below us that is reserved for the past Alpha family.

Arriving, Lukas walks straight onto the apartment like floor. He walks through the door without knocking, walking into the kitchen that is beside the living room.

I walk in behind Lukas, slightly timid. There is this fear in my gut that his parents won't like me. I don't know how I would deal if his family didn't like me.

Lukas hugs his parents and then they turn to me expectantly. I don't have much to say, other than a quiet, "Hi."

The previous Alphas scowl at me, Miles saying, "Don't be scared, we don't hate you. We understand the past is the past and you guys have moved forward. You guys are in a different place than you were before."

Calvin stays quiet, watching his mate with pride in his eyes. I think that Calvin loves when Miles does good parenting.

"Thank you. I wanted to apologize to not only Lukas but to you. I hurt your child, and I can never take that back. I hope you guys forgive me." Finishing my miniature speech, I cross my fingers and hope for the best.

"Don't be silly, we forgave you the moment you made our son happy again." Miles steps forward and hugs me, holding me tight. I'm taller than him by at least a head.

Hugging him back, I feel like a parent is supporting me. I haven't had a parents support in too long, feeling lost without the emotional assistance.

I pull away and Miles smirks at me. "I didn't mean to make you cry."

Looking at him confused, I wipe my eyes only to find that there are tears coming out. I laugh lightly at Miles' joke, apologizing for crying. "I'm sorry. I haven't been hugged by a parent figure in so long, it made me miss my parents. Not how they were at the end, but how they used to be."

Lukas rubs my back reassuringly, giving me even more support.

Calvin finally decides to join the conversation, "Don't be sorry. You are allowed to feel emotions."

I smile at him and Lukas changes the subject after a long silence. "Who wants to eat?"