Chapter 16

Kai's POV

I'm waiting in the safe room, worrying about Lukas. I know he can protect himself, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about his safety.

Standing in the back of the room, I examine all the surrounding people. Some people are chatting with their friends like nothing is wrong, while some people are huddled together, crying. The difference in people's attitudes is astounding.

Not knowing how I feel, I'm in the middle. I feel worried, but I'm not worried enough to cry. Sure, I'm nervous and scared, but our pack members are strong and will make it through this.

However, I'm not feeling completely normal, chatting with others like there is no issue. I notice the threat and I accept it, but I don't forget it.

I hear the locks and keypad sound, someone opening the door from the outside. This must mean that the threat is over. 

The door opens and I look over everyone's heads, seeing Lukas standing at the door with it open.

We lock eyes, and he gives me a nervous smile. Smiling back, I make my way through the crowd exiting the safe room.

Once I reach Lukas, he whispers, "We need to talk."

Nerves explode in me, scared he will reject me or something drastic. What happened with the hunters and rogues?

I just nod, lost in my thoughts. What does Lukas want to talk about? Did I do something wrong?

Once everyone has left, Lukas and I go to his room. The flights of stairs take a long time to walk up, but it's nice having a floor to ourselves. It's worth it.

Arriving at his room, he motions me to sit on the bed. I sit and wait for him to talk. I was considering speaking first but I don't want to guess wrong about what he wants to say.

Lukas takes a deep breath, starting, "No one got hurt, the hunters and rogues were here to send a message."

I look at him in confusion, wondering why they would attack but leave us alive.

"They wanted to let us know that they are targeting us again. You know there was a war under my parents' reign, and they are here to start it up again." He continues with a sigh, "They are targeting you. They want to weaken me. They are using you as my weakness."

Gasping, I look down at my hands. I feel guilty, the feeling of it eating away at my stomach. They are targeting us because of me. I didn't do anything, yet they are trying to use me to destroy the pack.

Feeling awful, I mutter, "What do we do?"

Lukas looks at me with an indiscernible emotion. "We protect you, this means no school or leaving the house by yourself. Anyone could kidnap you at any time."

He's taking away my freedom? "How is that fair? I didn't do anything wrong," I exclaim, seeing how unfair this situation is.

Now Lukas looks guilty. "I know it's not fair, but I care about you and they want to use you to hurt me. If I were to lose you... I don't know what I'd do."

Looking at him, I notice he's standing right in front of me, my head level with his chest. I look up at his face and see fondness in his gaze.

Standing up, I'm almost eye level with Lukas. I want to make the move, but Lukas does it for me.

Lukas leans down, his lips meeting with mine. The kiss is short and sweet but full of passion. I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling myself closer to him. He moves his lips against mine, making sparks run all throughout my body.

He pulls away too soon, making me miss his touch. My arms still wrapped around him, enjoying the warmth, bodies pressed against each other's.

"That was a pretty great kiss, loser," Lukas says with a slight smirk, eyes still full of love.

"Yes, it was," I say wholeheartedly, finally feeling complete for the first time in my life.