Chapter 22 - Hazel

Chapter 22 - Hazel

Hazel remembered being in a situation similar to this. It was when Chrysaor attacked their ship, and demanded he take two of them to Gaea to be sacrificed to aid her awakening. Her mind was caught in a funnel cloud of helplessness and shattered hope during that moment; thinking there was no way for them to escape, for their quest to be over right then. Lying next to Piper, tied and gagged, surrounded by dolphin-hybrid warriors, while Chrysaor held Percy - their best sword fighter, and the world's most powerful demigod - under his complete captivity, had nearly diminished Hazel's hopes entirely.

And that's when Percy suddenly came through with an impetuous, yet brilliant plan and was able to scare Chrysaor and his dolphin men right off the deck of their ship; which of course was fine with Hazel. After that night, she never asked Percy how he was able to come up with such an idea during such a tight situation, but she definitely put thought into it. It must have been the adrenaline. Or maybe by some miracle, something sparked in Percy's head. Hazel knew occurrences like that happened to some people, but only rarely.

The Ketea still stayed poised where they remained, staring at Piper in astonishment as if she actually had the ability to trap individuals under the very power of her voice. Piper slowly turned halfway to stare back at her friends behind her. A tiny, hesitant grin seemed to spread across her face, before she turned back to the serpents.

"Go to sleep," she said.

Immediately, the Ketea's eyes rolled back in their head and they fell flat back onto the water, making two perfect serpent-shaped implants in the sea for a millisecond, salt water flying fifty feet into the air showering the deck of the ship again. If the demigods couldn't have been more wet, Hazel would've been proven wrong. She was dripping soaked, but she couldn't have cared less.

For a small moment, the Ketea's massive necks floated on top of the Mediterranean, deep throaty snores reverberating from their leathery throats.

Hazel suddenly heard a thump from behind her, and she turned to see Leo had collapsed face down on the deck, snoring into the deck boards. 

However, the serpents still awoke within seconds. Muttering to themselves, they slowly rose from the water. "Oh, that is indeed quite an interesting technique to wield against your enemies," Troias said, rising above the deck of the Argo II once more.

Seconds later, Hazel heard a groan behind her. "Wha- what happened...?" Leo grumbled, standing slowly back up.

"However, it does not stand strong against us," Troias continued.

"Sleep," Piper drawled.

Leo fell back onto the deck, flat as a board.

The Ketea once more back flopped onto the ocean's surface, sending another massive wave cascading down on the half-bloods on the deck once more. "Oh, come on!" Annabeth yelled, her hair plastered to her face.

"What are you complainin' about, Wise Girl?" Percy said, grinning at her, completely dry. "I'm loving this!"

"Oh, shut up, Kelp-For-Brains!" Frank yelled, standing lopsidedly on the deck, his clothes heavy with sea water. "No one else has the ability to will themselves dry!"

"What is it with everyone and the Spongebob phrases tonight?" Percy said, throwing his arms up in the air.

Once more the sea serpents rose from the water, shaking droplets from their scales. "Well, it was entertaining before but now it is just giving me a headache," Aithiopios grumbled.

"Being put to sleep was entertaining?" Troias asked.

"No," his brother mused. "Watching the scrawny elf take a face plant was entertaining."