Chapter 9 - Jason

Chapter 9 - Jason

After hearing Percy's cry, Jason began taking this game a whole lot more serious than before. When the game started, Jason was sure they would get out of this alive. These Nymphs were just common monsters. How could they be any different from the other thousands of monsters Jason's killed in his lifetime? But now, he seemed to realize just how deadly these sports were.

After hearing Percy yell in pain, Jason quickly straightened up on the back of his hippocampus, looking over a floating raft that had been blocking his view. He caught a glimpse of Annabeth off in the distance. She was standing atop a small island that rose high above the labyrinth around them, and she seemed to be yelling in the general direction Percy was in. Still, Jason wasn't so sure. What if Percy was hurt badly? What if he needed someone to go back for him?

Suddenly, three Nereids charged around the corner, and he let it slide. Annabeth had it under control.

Hazel fell back, leveling her spatha and Jason took the lead, confronting his enemy as the Nereids attacked. But within a few strokes of his sword, he took them down easily.

Hazel gripped the reins of her hippocampus, her gold eyes grim as Jason straightened on the back of his saddle. He paused for a moment, listening to the sounds of battle around him. "Come on, Hazel!"

Following Jason, Hazel was a very handy partner in combat when it came to distractions. Several times when they encountered enemy Nymphs, she caused jewels to erupt from below the surface of the water, tripping up the enemy sea horses, and sending their riders plunging into the currents. Other times, when several demons charged their way, Hazel summoned gems and stones to rise above the water, and Jason shot bolts of lightning that ricocheted off their polished surfaces, striking scores of Nereids and sending their essence back to their side of the arena.

As he and Hazel charged through the labyrinth, they had to change course a few times when the maze changed positions. But they kept their progress strong as they headed for the enemy base. Once after Jason killed another Nymph, he heard Ozzie's voice booming from above: "No, no, no, Frank Zhang. No cheating in this arena. Only land creatures you can take form." Jason smirked to himself. Silly Frank.

As Jason and Hazel rounded one corner, they were just in time to see a lone hippocampus fly by, a herd of furious Nymphs charging after it, waving their weapons and jeering. "What in Jupiter's name?" Jason muttered.

"Come on, Jason!" Hazel cried. "The way's clear!"

Jason hurried after her as they rounded several more corners, making good time in trying to reach the enemy flag. Jason looked up into the stands to get his bearings. The Emperor's Box lay in the direct center of the stadium, marking an invisible boundary line down the center of the arena. They were well past the boundary line now, deep inside enemy territory.

Right when the maze changed for the fourth time since the game began (they had been in the arena for twenty minutes), Jason and Hazel came to a two-way crossroads. One led east, the other, south. Jason knew the flag lay to the east, and was about to signal Hazel in that direction, when they suddenly heard splashing coming from the south path.

Jason and Hazel swiveled their hippocampi around, weapons ready, eyes locked on the path.

They didn't hear the usual snarling or grunting of enemy Nymphs, but still Jason didn't let his guard down. They saw ripples in the water, white foam bubbling, and suddenly one hippocampus burst from the south path. Jason lowered his weapon in clear relief. It was just Annabeth.

"Annabeth!" Jason cried, hurrying forward to greet her. "Are you okay? Where's Frank?"

Annabeth pointed to the hippocampus she was riding. The creature whinnied in greeting, waving a fin at them.