Chapter 8 - Nico

Chapter 8 - Nico

Nico sat by the fire, his hands held before him in a feeble attempt to warm himself. As the freezing sensations of shadow-travel were swept to the back of his mind, Nico still couldn't help but shiver in the night. Using his powers took a lot of energy. Apparently, he'd only been out for at best two hours, because the remains of the hellhounds were still where they'd been when he'd collapsed upon returning to the Athena Parthenos, (and of course, Coach Hedge was still eating Reyna's knife).

Stupid old goat.

Nico looked up. Reyna sat across from him on the other end of the fire, cooking a small jack rabbit she'd luckily been able to  snare during his small time asleep. She watched him now, her obsidian eyes cutting into him like jagged stone, her silence making Nico shift uncomfortably in his seat. He turned his attention back to the fire, trying to regain his strength from the previous events. He strained his ears, listening, closing his eyes half way in concentration. He wanted to hear the roar of Lycaon, the hissing of his own skeletal warriors as they continued to battle the wolf man.

Only silence met his demands.

Nico smiled at the recent memory, his mind recalling his actions: him thrusting his sword into the air, the skeletons below responding immediately, answering his call and awaiting his order, Lycaon growling nervously when confronted by Nico's army, the undead charging when Nico gave the order.

Nico knew he had done this so many times before, and he knew he should feel quite used to it now. To a child of Hades, summoning the dead was as common as walking on dry ground. But he still took great pride in his abilities to command such a legion. Nico was no leader. He knew this down to the very bottom. Controlling a legion of half-bloods or living monsters, Nico could not picture himself doing. But the skeletons were like his friends, his guardians, his own personal companions, and they would follow him till the very end should he summon enough power within himself to sustain their energy for that long a time.

Nico realized he shouldn't be thinking these thoughts. Recalling the battle was taking more energy out of him than he realized. He was growing cold again by the second just thinking about the battle. Turning his attention to the camp fire, his rubbed his arms trying to get warmth back into them once more.

Reyna shifted her position, sitting cross legged in her seat, as she finished cooking her rabbit. She slid a long, thin, metal stake into the flesh and placed it on a ragged piece of old clothing, setting it on a thin slice of redwood bark she'd collected from the woods.

Nico's stomach growled but he said nothing. Having did what he'd done earlier; shadow-traveling to another area and leaving Reyna and Coach Hedge to fend for themselves, still made him want to hide his face from Reyna in utter shame and embarrassment.

Almost as if from pure sense, Reyna speared half of her meal, and passed it to Nico on the thin, metal stake.

Nico said nothing, but gave her a look of apologetic gratitude, as he took it awkwardly from her.

Reyna remained silent as well, but Nico could see a tiny smile curving among the corners of her lips, her eyes taking on a small glow of amusement, but vanishing just as quickly as it had occurred.

They ate in silence for what seemed like hours. Nico listened to the birds beginning to awake, chirping to each other as the first aspects of dawn began creeping over the horizon, feeble royal blue light filtering through the clouds. He watched as the moon above began to fade from view, the owls in the trees beginning to hide from the world, tucking in their young for the coming day.

Nico didn't want the night to end. He felt strangely comfortable in this spot, at this time; sharing a meal with Reyna, and listening to the sounds of life all around him. But everything had to end sometime, and unfortunately so did his meal. Sliding the last bits of rabbit meat from the stake, Nico licked his fingers, and wiped his mouth, throwing his leftovers into the fire.

Reyna did the same upon finishing as well.

After a couple seconds, Nico looked at Reyna. "Thanks," he said. "I'm sorry."

Reyna looked at him. "Sorry for what"

"For leaving without meaning to," Nico said sheepishly. "When the hellhounds attacked. I still regret it."

"You should," Reyna said looking away, and Nico winced.

Reyna turned her head half way and caught his eye once more. She winked, a small grin creeping up her face. "It's fine, Nico. Do not worry about it. Accidents happen."

Nico felt relief flood through him.

"It actually served a good purpose, doing so," Reyna continued. "If not for you, we still would have Lycaon on our trails, hunting us down. One less beasty to worry about."

Nico nodded, a small candle a pride opening in his stomach at Reyna's praise. He didn't show it though on his face. He didn't want Reyna to know that he was easily touched. "So," he continued. "Where are we exactly?"

Reyna looked up, her eyes gazing into the trees. "I believe this is Bastogne. The Ardennes Forest."

Nico nearly choked up his rabbit meal. "Wh- what?!" he spluttered.

Reyna looked at him quizzically.

"You're telling me, that we just fought a battle on the grounds of an old World War II battle site?" Nico demanded.

"Come now, Nico, the entire country of Europe is an old battle ground. This forest is vast. I'm sure we will not be spotted by any elderly veterans or anything." She turned, looking out into the forest. "But yes, the Battle of the Bulge. Many young half-bloods died in these woods. Brave young men. Son's of Mars in particular of course."

"I think we should go," Nico said. "Something about this place... I don't like it. It's not just because it's an old battle ground, but it sheltered Lycaon. Who knows what other monsters lurk in these woods."

Reyna seemed to consider this. She turned, looking to the east, as the sun slowly began to make its assent into the clouds. Gray light began filtering through the branches; Nico shivered in the wind.

"I suppose you are right," Reyna said, walking over to the campfire, and stomping it out with her boot. "Are you fit to shadow-travel again?" she asked Nico.

Nico flexed his shoulder muscles, curling his fingers, and feeling his strengths. "Yes," he said. "I'm ready."

Reyna nodded. "Probably shouldn't wake Coach Hedge though," she said.

"Yeah," Nico muttered. "He gets cranky if his dreams of being the next Chuck Norris are disturbed."

Reyna smiled, and the two of them grabbed the ropes connected to the base of the statue. "Ready?" Reyna asked.

Nico crouched down, and curled his fingers around the Coach's hairy wrist.

"It'll be a short jump though," Nico said. "I have the stength to travel, but not far. Not yet."

Reyna nodded in understanding. "When you are ready, Nico."

Nico nodded and closed his eyes, drawing forth the familiar chills of the shadows around him. They came forth, grabbing his shoulders invitingly, and pulling him forward into the depths of his own mind, his very form bending into the shades around him. And in a sudden burst of stars, they were gone, vanishing into thin air, the Ardennes Forest going silent once more.

Don't forget to comment! Hope you all enjoyed Chapter 8

Thank you all for your continued support.

I'll try to update soon when I get the chance.

Until next time!