Chapter 2 - Percy

Chapter 2 - Percy

Percy awoke in a pitch black room, his forehead moist, his skin clammy. In a sudden surge of panic, he thought he was back in Tartarus, enclosed within great cavern walls, the surface of the Earth miles from his grasp, the terror of the pit awaiting beyond every corner. He sat up straight, his hand instinctively going to Riptide that sat just next to him, and he let the pen elongate into the shimmering bronze weapon he always knew, and so deeply trusted. Its dim yellowish glow was enough to illuminate the contents of his cabin room; his clothes askew, his closets ajar, personal belongings spilling forth, and the small mirror that hung lopsidedly on his bedroom door, reflecting Percy's frightened face within the dark of his bedroom.

He let out an exasperated sigh, falling back into the covers of his bed, letting his right arm drape over his face in a very, distressed-damsel-that-just-fainted-in-horror kind of way. He allowed his shallow breathing to slow down to a relaxed manner, and calm his racing heart. Sheathing Riptide, he lay still for a few minutes, throwing the covers off his overheated body, and letting himself cool down, remembering his vivid nightmare just a few moments earlier. He and his girlfriend, Annabeth, were just upon reaching the Doors of Death when Tartarus appeared over the rise, his great black form wreathed in shadows, his being made entirely out of tortured souls trying in vain to escape their prison that were his very robes. He opened his gaping mouth, and Percy and Annebeth were sucked into the dark void like dead leaves, unable to do anything to save themselves, and knowing death was upon them.

Wincing, Percy slowly sat back up again, and slipped on a clean grey T-shirt, and blue jeans. He needed some air. Checking the time, his clock read 6:03 A.M. What the heck. It was nearly morning anyways. He crossed out of his cabin room, and walked down the hall to the stairs that lead to the upper deck. He always felt refreshed when breathing in the smell of the sea. It calmed him, relinquishing any remnants of his nightmares he so often got.

He felt a small lump appear in his pocket, and he smiled to himself. He needn't bother taking Riptide with him. It just followed him wherever he went. Taking the stairs two at a time, he walked out onto the deck to find someone already there.

It was Jason, not seeming to notice Percy's footsteps creaking on the deck boards. 

Percy turned towards the light of the moon, looking up at the sky. It was still dark, but the stars were beginning to disappear, a faint ray of thin blue light appearing over the horizon to the east. Dawn was slowly approaching.

Turning back, Percy approached Jason who stood facing the ocean before him, his arms leaning on the safety rail. "Jason," Percy said in greeting, resting his arms on the rail as well.

Jason turned his head, half-way. "Morning Percy," he said quietly. "How're you feeling?"

"I'm alright, I suppose," Percy answered. "Tired of the nightmares is all really."

Jason nodded in understanding. "Biggest issue of being a demigod. You got to deal with the dreams."

Percy cocked his head, shooing aside Jason's mildly amusing remark. "Something wrong? You seem troubled."

Jason turned back to the ocean. "You could say that. If it were anyone else, I'd have just said it was a bad dream like you."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "Even Piper?"

Jason nodded. "Yeah, even her. I don't like it when she worries."

"So why tell me it's something other than a dream that's bothering you?"

Jason was silent for a few moments. "Good question; considering our dads like to butt heads most of the time, and you and I are complete opposites, being air and sea..." he paused for a short moment, before continuing. "...but it seems that's the biggest reason why I trust you enough to say what's on my mind."