Chapter 36 - Percy

Chapter 36

Percy

The growls and snorts coming from outside rattled Percy's brain. It almost terrified him to know that hundreds of monsters stood just a couple yards from their hideout, oblivious to the fact that their prey was concealed only mere feet from their own view. But he shouldn't let his fears overtake him.

After all, he'd faced the entire legion of Tartarus just about a week ago, after experiencing days without sleep in a hellish, nightmare pit, filled with curses, giants, and rivers made from flame and his only allies were his girlfriend – who was recovering from a broken ankle and a battle of the minds with the goddess Arachne – a broom-wielding Titan, and a tabby-cat that transformed into a freaking Saber Toothed Tiger...

Not your idea of a fun time.

It had grown dark very quick. A half-moon rose above the cluster of apartments, giving very little light to the demigods tucked inside. The boys had made sure no lights were turned on inside the apartment as dusk gave to darkness, so they were near blind within the walls of their hiding place.

Percy kept trying to calm himself, continually twirling Riptide in his hand in a casual manner, as if he were about face a couple of Dracanae or Telkines, rather than the sheer bulk of Gaea's army. Finally, he sighed and capped his weapon slipping the pen into his pocket, what little glow his sword provided him with now gone.

But Percy didn't care. He walked over to the window of the abandoned apartment and lifted the curtain a tiny flap, peering outside. He couldn't see a thing. Yes, there were small portions of light cast from the street lamps outside, as well as a cluster of old lanterns that hung from the roof of the complex itself. But Percy's vision was entirely blocked by the crowd outside. He saw nothing but the squirming bodies of monsters.

Though Percy couldn't see much, he could hear the giants lumbering about, due to their weight being much greater than their smaller allies. Each time the ground shook, Percy knew one of them had taken a step. He could hear them barking out commands, trying to call order throughout their ranks, but the monsters wouldn't shut up, apparently their excitement being stirred up by something colossal.

Percy smirked then let the curtain fall, turning back to the others.

Jason had begun to pace the room, waiting for Annabeth's instructions. He'd asked Percy and Frank to turn their walkie-talkie's off, just so Annabeth's voice – tripled with intensity – wouldn't possibly give their position away. And when she finally came over the radio, Percy couldn't have been more relieved to hear her beautiful voice.

"Give me a moment, Leo's circling back around."

"No problem," Jason answered calmly. "You guys are okay, by the way, right? You're still out in the harbor?"

"Yeah, we're good here," Annabeth's voice came back. "It's the three of you that need saving though. So don't worry about us."

Percy's heart ached with longing and forlorn as he listened to her voice; so strong and filled with determination – as it always was whenever she had a plan. He wished deeply to be back on the Argo II, holding her close, his fingers lacing with hers.

As long as we're together...

The words came back to him suddenly. He pulled Riptide from his jeans pocket once more and began spinning the pen between his fingers in anticipation to get going.

Annabeth's voice came back. "Alright, I think I've got a route. Sorry boys, but you're gonna to have to get a taste for Greek sewers."

Jason's lip curled, then he nodded slowly, his eyes turned down as if thinking to himself, I don't like the idea, but I guess it's the only way. He answered into his radio. "Yeah, I got it."