Chapter 6 - Annabeth

Chapter 6 - Annabeth

Annabeth didn't like being a contributor in gladiator fights. She didn't like to be separated from Percy when on the field of battle (considering they'd fought so many battles together), and she especially didn't like steering a hippocampus through an army of Nereids without Percy holding the reins. But it turns out, she didn't him.

As the gong sounded far above them, signaling the beginning of the game, the hippocampi rode smoothly over the water not seeming to even need a rider when it came to this aquatic combat.

She and Frank sped down the center of the arena, racing past huge rocky islands, anchored rafts, and huge, floating, weaponry refill racks.

The army of Team Black charged forward on their huge sea  horses, rattling their bone weapons, snarling and jeering, sending up a colossal wave as they sped for the demigods.

Annabeth looked to her right, and saw Leo and Piper speeding side by side on their great watery steeds, Leo wielding his sledgehammer, and Piper, her sword.

Looking to the left, Annabeth watched as Jason took the lead ahead of Hazel, raising his sword into the air and shouting defiantly. Immediately, clouds gathered overhead (even though they were in an indoor coliseum). Thunder crackled, and the hairs on Annabeth's neck stood up straight, as the air charged with ozone. Jason thrust his sword forward, and a sizzling array of lightning bolts arched down from the ceiling, vaporizing at least ten demons on the spot, clearing the left flank, the enemy flag in clear view (but still over 80 yards away). Annabeth exhaled with relief as Jason fell back into step beside Hazel. They were a strong pair. Jason would protect Hazel no matter what, should the need arise.

Team Black drew closer, the gap between them and the demigods beginning to close. Annabeth cast a quick glance over her shoulder and saw Percy swiveling back and forth in front of the flag, his hippocampus tossing its head, winning in alarm. Percy gripped Riptide tightly, leaning over his horse and speaking quietly into its ear. The hippocampus began to relax.

Annabeth always knew her boyfriend could speak to horses, but it still deeply mesmerized her to see Percy calm an alarmed animal just by speaking gently to it. He may as well be called The Horse Whisperer.

Percy looked up, the red horse-hair plume on his helmet quivering within the spray of the sea water. Even through the narrow eye-holes of his Greek-style war helmet, Annabeth could've sworn she saw his eyes meet hers (just for a millisecond).

Annabeth turned back to the charge. She felt fear rise inside of her at the sight of the charging enemy army, but still felt a flowing surge of confidence easily overpower the alarming rise of negative emotion within her. She did have a strategy to get that flag. It would just take a whole lot of Frank's shape-shifting skills, and her own quick-thinking brain to make it happen.

Team Black sped their steeds through the water, meeting the demigods head-on a lot faster than Annabeth had expected. I guess sea horses are much faster swimmers than hippocampi, she thought as she drew her ivory sword.

Frank (though in a tight combative situation) still wielded his bow and arrow, taking down four demons before they reached them. Within seconds, they were surrounded by jeering, shouting Sea Nymphs and Nereids, swinging at them wildly with their weapons, baring their teeth and hissing. It seemed they were too keen on defeating the demigods, before making sure at least two or three of their comrades went for the flag at the opposite end of the arena, while the rest stayed behind to battle the half-bloods. None of them headed for Percy guarding the flag.

Eight of them appeared, flanking Annabeth and Frank on all sides. Annabeth brandished her sword, bracing herself for the enemy to advance, but it turns out, the enemy was easily outmatched.