Chapter 11 - Percy

Chapter 11 - Percy

Just before the lightning struck, Percy thought for sure he was dead. His left arm throbbed with unbelievable pain from being skewered by the Nymph, midst Percy's attempts to hold back the enemy. His mind was near dead with exhaustion from summoning so much power to control the water against the Nereids' attempts to capture the demigods' flag. He knew he was as good as dead. His power was weakening, and the flaming balls of fire raining around him only increased his despair. This must be some new trick the enemy was using to force their way through Percy's defense. This was just another card they were playing to break Percy's will.

But just before he sank into unconsciousness, he tried to remember everything that meant more to him than life. Before his water shield escaped his will, he tried to recall everything from his past that made his heart sore with happiness the most...

Many memories swirled through his brain, blinding him from the world, but just before his connection broke, and his power disappeared, a few thoughts broke free, filling Percy's mind. His apartment back in New York; his mother, her eyes full of pride and sadness as she gazed down upon him; his father, his black hair swept to one side, the salty tank of the sea swirling around him. He remembered the strawberry fields of camp half-blood, the chariot races, the pegasus stables. He remembered Grover, Tyson, Blackjack, the Stolls, Beckendorf, Chiron. Then a new image consumed his mind. Annabeth, his beloved, her gray eyes sparkling as she looked up at him, her hands clasping his, her blonde hair glowing in the sun.

His water shield collapsed, and the Nymphs charged, their weapons bristling. But Percy didn't notice them. His eyes didn't see them. His soul had escaped his body, swimming freely within the ripples of the water around him, the only thing keeping it going, was the sound of Annabeth's voice, Just hang in there, Percy. Just hold on.

I will, Percy thought back. As long as we're together.

And that's when the lightning struck. Just another attempt from the Nymph's power, to break through Percy's defense. To kill him, abduct the flag, win the game, and there would be no way for his friends to reach Athens by the Feast of Spes.

All hope was gone.

Two shapes came bounding through the water, racing toward him in slow motion. They were upon him. Now they were going to finish him off. Percy fell back into the water. Let them take me... Let them...

Suddenly, strong hands grasped his shoulders and he was lifted from the water. Through a red haze of pain, he could hear a voice – Jason's voice – yelling above the noise of the roaring crowd. "Ambrosia! Frank, ambrosia! Quickly!"

Percy blacked out.

                                                     *        *        *

His dreams were haunted, bringing forth the horrors of Tartarus once more, the curse of the arai ripping through his insides, the miserable sobbing of Akhlys filling the night, the darkness of Nyx consuming his entire being. They did nothing to help banish the mental pain Percy was feeling. If this was what death felt like, then Percy hoped in vain none of his friends had to endure this. If these were the Fields of Punishment, Percy prayed to Poseidon that his friends would achieve Elysium, or the Aisles of the Blessed when their time came.

Slowly, as the darkness dragged on, Percy began to feel light up ahead. He felt his form being pulled forth, the voices of his friends calling to him. And he knew it was not the end.

His mind surfaced, and his breathing relaxed as Percy finally regained consciousness. His eyes opened slowly, taking in his surroundings. The roar of the crowd no longer penetrated his ears. The water around his knees had vanished.  His pain was gone. He was no longer in armor, lying in bed in the sickbay of the Argo II.