34 | Entangled

SELENA MONTGOMERY

I woke up in the morning from another peaceful night of sleep to a weird feeling of calmness.

We had been sleeping in his bed together for the past week and Felicity came over every day to hang out with me while he was working.

Adam gave me this weird sense of peace.

The danger he exuded made me feel safe from the scarier things out there.

Honestly, I don't know how long I've been in Italy. I just know that I hated New York. The city where I was once found sanctuary when I ran away, always felt cold, isolating, and lifeless.

The city where I turned into a killer.

Remember those days now brought me a little warmth.

I ran away being an exceptionally smart student in high school, but broken from what Clay and my parents had done to me.

On the streets, I was taken under the wing of a kind man who found me sleeping in an alley outside his gym.

He taught me how to fight. Harden my mind and body.

Soon, I was participating in underground fights. My anger and pain fueling me more than anyone else.

My mentor introduced me to his friends one of them being a woman with a talent for computers. She caught on to how my eyes would light up when I would see what she did and taught me everything I needed to know.

Hacking and fighting introduced me to an even darker world that I could have never imagined. I thought I had seen the worst with my parents and Clay, but they barely scratched the surface with the drugs and gangs.

I felt secure for the first time in my life, a year after I had run away.

It wasn't until my mentor died suddenly from cardiac arrest that I was thrown off my axis again.

Despite his death, I had a community from his friends and they took me under their wing. I tried my best for a couple weeks to keep the gym afloat, but then I just couldn't without giving a little.

I started using my computer skills to steal money and then some dangerous people came after me. They found me in the gym and that was the first time I killed someone.

The feeling made me feel sick for a second before a feeling of control replaced it.

That control was something I had never felt in my life before and it felt amazing. It made me dive deeper and I became an assassin. I couldn't stop taking lives to feel that control over my own life.

But then I was caught out of control just a year later and the FBI put a collar on me.

I had gone actually lethal and was killing someone almost every day it felt like.

It felt stupid that the FBI felt the need to get a teenager under control.

Rolling my eyes thinking about the damn bureaucracy, I was snapped out of those years by Adam's arm tightening even more around my waist.