51

Unclear voices bounced back and forth around me as I finally started to regain my consciousness after I'm not sure how long.

I was slowly waking up, but wasn't quite ready to open my eyes just yet.

My head was slightly throbbing and my side ached along with it.

I must have slept in a funny position because it was like my whole body was tense and I was afraid that it would only get worse if I tried to move from my bed.

"I think she's waking up." A somewhat familiar voice spoke from beside me.

Aunt Jess?

What would she be doing here? And in my bedroom? It's not like it was Thanksgiving or Christmas, and who was she talking to?

Maybe I was dreaming.

"It's been like five hours." Another voice began from what sounded like the foot of my bed.
"The doctor said it shouldn't be much longer."

Alaina?

Why was everybody in my room, and what does she mean by a doctor?

My eyes slowly began to flutter open, my vision being a bit blurry at first and I blinked a few times until the room and the faces around me became clear.

I glanced down at my right arm which was hooked up to an IV.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, looking down and seeing a baby blue hospital gown instead of my work clothes which I recall wearing before falling asleep.

"Shay."

I looked up at the gentle sound of my name and locked eyes with a familiar face that I didn't think I'd be seeing anytime soon.

"Zayn?"

I sit up straight but immediately regret it as a sharp pain shoots throughout my body, causing me to yelp out in pain.

Everybody surrounding the bed I lay in went into panic mode, worried expressions taking over their tired faces as they helped me back into my previous position without hurting myself again.

"What the hell happened to me?" I ask in a defeated voice.

My chest felt heavy and everything else felt completely weak.

My mom, Aunt Jess, Zayn, and Alaina surrounded me sharing nervous glances back and forth at each other.

My mom leans down to be eye level with me as she cautiously removes a stray hair out of my face.

I could tell how stressed out she was just by her hazel eyes that were bloodshot from what I assumed was crying, and her forehead which seemed to be permanently creased.

There were dark circles beneath her eyes as if she hadn't slept in days.

She carefully took my hand that wasn't attached to an IV and held it carefully in hers.

"You were in a car accident tonight."

"What?"

"You were on your way home from work in the bad weather and another car hit you."

I blinked a few times, racking my brain to try and remember what the hell she was talking about.

An accident?

All I remember was talking to James about Ashton while we cleaned up the shop.

The weather was shit and I was about to walk home until..

Calum.

"Oh my god." My voice cracked.

"Honey-"