12

Instead of my usual alarm clock, I woke up to the sound of my ringtone blasting throughout my bedroom.

Who could be calling me at five thirty in the morning on a Monday?

I sluggishly kicked my covers from my body and swung my legs over the side of my bed, before reaching over and grabbing my phone off of my nightstand.

I stared down at it with a confused expression as Lana's name and silly contact picture flashed across the screen.

"Hello?" I answered groggily.

"Good morning, sunshine!"

I let out a sigh at Lana's chirpiness. Normally, I would reply just as enthusiastic or I'd giggle at her, but unfortunately I'm not a morning person.

"Why are you awake right now?"

"Well I couldn't sleep, like at all, so I thought hey why not go out for some breakfast!"

"At five thirty." My question came out more as a statement than an actual question.

I could hear mumbling on the other end as I waited for Lana's response. Who was she with?

"Who's there?" I asked.

"Just Mike."

Should've known.

"So the three of us are going?"

"No, just me and you."

I smiled to myself. "Are you sure Mikey won't get jealous?"

Lana giggled before Mike's voice came into earshot.

"You can have her just this once." He chuckled.

I looked around my dark room and sighed to myself, laying back on my bed and staring at the black ceiling.

Mom would interrogate the hell out of me if she caught me going downstairs and out the front door this early. My stairs aren't exactly the quietest and neither are any of the doors in this house.

I glanced at my window and chewed my lip for a moment before sighing again.

"I'll come to breakfast."

"Yay!" Lana exclaimed. "I'm stealing Mike's car. He can walk to school since he only lives a few blocks away from it."

I could hear Michael groan in the background and I smiled.

"Alright, I'll see you in a few."

We ended the call and I set my phone down onto my bed beside me before getting up and heading over to my window. Quietly, I unlocked it and pushed it open letting in a small gust of chilly wind.

I stared at the large tree that was just outside my window and thought for a moment.

I hadn't climbed a tree since I was eight, and even then I was constantly falling and getting bumps and scratches. I'm not exactly the most coordinated person. It was too late to call Lana back and tell her nevermind so I guess the tree was my only option. It's a good thing that my window is on the side of my house so my neighbors can't watch my escape and then tell my mom afterwards.

I closed my window and made my way over to my closet. I could tell it was going to be a bit chilly today so I chose an old pair of light wash skinny jeans and my oversized white knit sweater.

Since I'm waking up way earlier than I usually do, I'm too tired to do anything with my hair, so up into a messy bun it goes.

I slipped into my tan colored moccasins and headed towards the bathroom as quietly as I could.