45

"I hate this."

I mumble, staring down at my hands.

Ashton nods his head in agreement, tapping his index finger lightly against the table.

"I know."

I look up at him to see his dimmed hazel eyes fixated on me, his expression unreadable.

Being locked in here for the past month has definitely taken a toll on him.

The bright and cheerful Ashton I used to know was no longer the boy that sat in front of me. This boy was different.

His hair had gotten longer and curlier, and his face was sprinkled with a thick layer of stubble. His eyes were so dull and his smile was almost nonexistent.

I'd do anything to see those happy dimples again.

"When are you going to know exactly how long you'll be in here? It's been over a month already."

"My next trial is Saturday. The investigation is taking longer than they expected." He rolls his eyes, holding up air quotes around his last four words.

"They tried over and over to get my mom to cooperate with them and answer their questions but she refused. And since Sam is dead, they can't exactly drag him in for questioning."

"Have they asked about Harry, yet?"

"I told them that Harry is in good hands and I want them to leave him out of this. He's too young to have to deal with all of this bullshit, and I don't want him stressed out. He shouldn't have to be."

I glanced around at the baby blue walls and at the other people here visiting their friends or loved ones.

My eyes landed on a woman, who looked not that much older than me, sitting at an empty table adjusting her young daughter's hair bows.

The little girl could hardly stand still as her mother finger combed through her bright blonde hair. Her mother whispers something to her, causing her to giggle before she plants a giant kiss upon her little cheek.

A few moments later, the woman stands to her feet with tears forming in her eyes as a tall man with dark hair, looking around Ashton's age, maybe older, entered the room.

He engulfed the woman in a giant hug, bringing more tears once he kisses her head.

The little girl was next, jumping for joy at the sight of who I'm assuming was her father. Her small arms wrapped around his neck tightly as he picked her up and held her close to him, tears escaping his eyes this time.

A small smile crept onto my lips at the sight before I finally turned my attention back to my own table, sighing.

"I just wish I could do something to help."

"There's nothing anyone can do, Shay."

I look up at him, the look in his eyes sending a pain through my chest.

I could feel the urge to choke out a sob rising in my throat, and the tears in my eyes were slowly swelling up.

"This is my fault."

"No, Shay-"

"This is all my fault. I just had to have a stupid birthday and I just had to drink that stupid alcohol and I just had to let stupid Liam even get that close to me. None of this ever would have happened if that party didn't happen or if I wasn't so stupid and got drunk-"

"It was your birthday and you were having a good time. There's nothing wrong with that. How were you supposed to know Liam was going to be an idiot? Calum was drunk, he acted on impulse. Don't feel at fault for what he's done, Shay, ever."