55

Calum's P.O.V.

I woke up the next morning to the smell of fresh coffee and the soft murmuring of today's weather report on the tv.

I sat up straight from my curled position on the small velvet couch and raised my arms above my head, yawning and getting rid of any kinks in my body.

"Morning, CalPal."

I turn around to see Mali standing in the living room doorway wearing an old pair of skinny jeans and a purple knitted sweater that looked two sizes too big for her small frame.

Her long dark hair was tied at the top of her head with small thick strands framing her face.

I smiled back at her slightly.

I could still feel the dried up tears stuck to my cheeks from the night before, and I still can't quite believe that I actually drove all the way here last night.

"I haven't heard that nickname in years."

Mali-Koa smiles at me and holds out her hand which holds a white mug of coffee.

"I don't know how you like it, but my roommate buys this really good blueberry creamer."

"It tastes great." I say after taking a sip.

We both exchanged smiles before she quickly turned on her heel and made her way back into the small kitchen, with me following afterwards.

"So." She says, taking a seat at the small marble top island. "We've got quite a bit of catching up to do don't you think, Cal?"

I sit on a stool across from her and set my coffee on the countertop.

"Indeed we do."

"You go first."

I open my mouth to speak but close it again, shrugging my shoulders.

"Oh, come on, nothing interesting has happened in the last nine years? How are the Tomlinsons? From my emails back and forth with Johannah they seem like good people."

"They're great. I don't think I could've asked for a better second family." I admit to her, my mind wandering back to the hug I'd shared with Louis before my departure.

She smiles and nods her head.

"I'm happy to hear that."

"And I met a girl."

"Oh really?" She says in a silly tone, wiggling her eyebrows at me. "Just one? Even at ten you were a little heartbreaker."

"This one is different." I began. "I'm in love with her."

Mali's expression softens, the corners of her lips tugging up into a barely noticeable smile.

"I see."

I take a drink of my coffee and try to hold back the emotions that were rushing their way toward my eyes.

I was done crying over this. Leaving Shaine and everyone else behind was for the best, not just for me but for everybody.

I just had to keep reminding myself of that.

"So, what made you come all the way out here?"

I set the mug back down and take a deep breath, trying to think up some excuse so I wouldn't end up pouring my heart out onto the shiny kitchen floor.

"Does it involve her?"

I look up to meet her gaze which was fully fixated on me.

I nodded my head silently.