59

It's been two weeks since Harry spilled about what happened the night they all met Calum.

And it's been two weeks with still no sign of him coming back anytime soon.

Or ever.

It's Monday morning and my first day back at school.

My mom insisted that I take just a few more days off but I'm already so behind, it'll take forever to catch me back up. Midterms are coming soon, so I have to start cramming.

Plus, I'd rather be here than trapped in the house with Harry, who since I've stopped communicating with as much, started bringing his girlfriend Kara over every day.

Don't get me wrong, she's sweet and I like her, but I'm tired of having to turn up the volume every two seconds to drown out the sound of their kissing.

Mr. Burton said that I could spend first period in the library catching up and studying since the class was going to be taking a quiz today.

I wasn't expecting to see Alaina in class, but I'm happy that I did.

It was nice to see her outside of a hospital room.

I lightly tapped the end of my pen against my bottom lip as I skimmed through the pages of my history book.

Part of me was trying to focus, but the other part of me didn't want to hold still.

I sighed to myself and glanced around the library.

A few students sat silently at the computers, clicking and typing away on their study guides and essays.

A couple girls sat at a round table near the romance section and whisper gossiped over a copy of P.S. I Love You.

The librarian sat at her large desk, stamping the inside covers of books and jotting things down on a yellow pad of paper as she hummed softly to herself.

I glanced down at the text book in front of me for a moment then put my pen down.

I know I should be studying, but I've been through some shit the past few weeks.

They can't expect me to just immediately dive right back into my work, can they?

Procrastination is becoming my new best friend.

I quietly push myself out from the table and stand to my feet.

I'm not completely against reading right now, just maybe something a little more interesting.

I make my way over to the sci-fi/fantasy section and start skimming through the shelves.

Lord of the Rings, The Time Traveler's Wife, Cloud Atlas, etc.

My eyes land on an old paperback copy of Frankenstein and I think why not.

As I pull the book from its place, something else pulls it backward.

I tug on it again and the opposite force gives in, letting me take it from the shelf.

I look through the new empty spot and lock eyes with a pair of familiar pale grey ones.

My breath catches in my throat.

"Oh, um, s-sorry." I mumble, lifting the book up to return it to the shelf.

"No, it's okay." Chase smiles slightly.
"I've read it twice already."

I return his smile for a second then snap back to reality.

Chase hates you remember? You humiliated him in front of everyone.

My conscious was right.