17

The sun was beginning to fall below the horizon whenever Sen's eyes slowly opened. She blinked a few times and waited for her eyes to adjust. She was in her bed, tucked beneath a blanket, with a fresh glass of water on her nightstand.

She noticed Madara was asleep in a chair in the corner. His head was tipped forward while soft snores filled the room. Suddenly, she remembered what had happened.

Did Madara show me the truth? Or was it just an illusion? I don't know what to believe anymore. Why would Tobirama lie to me? She thought in rapid succession.

She desperately wanted to escape the room, afraid that Madara would use his Sharingan on her again. Quietly, she slipped out of bed and was padding across the floor whenever she felt her legs grow weak. She began wobbling as she reached for anything to help her recover her balance. She began to fall whenever Madara's arm caught her by the waist.

He gave her a disapproving look and spoke quietly, "You shouldn't try to walk for a few more hours."

Her eyes were wide with anxiety; however, she felt no malice from the man. He looks... apologetic?

The Uchiha helped her back into bed before pursing his lips and telling her sincerely, "I'm sorry for what I did..." His voice failed and he swallowed a hard knot in his throat. "But I wanted you to know the truth. I don't want you to see me as a monster."

A monster, Sen thought. She was silent for a moment before her voice softly replied, "I'm sorry also."

"You have no reason to be."

"But I am," she gulped. "That was the truth, then? Not some illusion?"

He nodded solemnly. His voice was empty as he answered, "Yes. That was the truth."

Her eyes looked up into his. There was nothing behind Madara's expression as he leaned over to kiss her. She pulled away from him, her face colorless as she hesitantly whispered, "I'm sorry." She paused while a tear rolled down her cheek. Her voice was tiny as she finished speaking, "I can't kiss a man that I'm afraid of."

Madara's face remained indifferent; however, his chest was caving in at Sen's words. I should have never used my Sharingan on her. Of course, it terrified her. But... I didn't know of another way.

After wiping her tears away from her eyes with his thumb, he nodded grimly and praised her, "That's good practice. Take care of yourself, Sen."

Sen could not speak as she watched Madara Uchiha walk away. Her heart begged her to call out to him, but her mind rebelled, reminding her of his fierce chakra presence. Her emotions had been obliterated by the events of the past few days and she was left in a muddled mess of tears and pain.

"I don't want you to see me as a monster." Sen hugged her knees to her chest and sobbed quietly. His chakra, she thought helplessly. It's filled with malevolence. Madara is complete darkness. I don't want to fear him, but... How can I not?

She pitied her situation for the rest of the night before deciding that she must pick herself up and move on. Madara said goodbye and that was final. He didn't seem like the kind of man one could bother for a second chance. As much as it pained her, she had to do the same. She had to move on from Madara Uchiha.

Easier said than done, she thought sadly as she watched the sun peek out of the pink morning sky.

Madara felt desolate once more. He had been stupid to think that Sen could help rescue him from this constant loneliness. His cold heart had warmed for her, but now it had been turned back into ice. He reasoned with himself that it would be better this way. Sen could find a good man who wasn't plagued by the curse of hatred. She could be happy this way, instead of living in fear of Madara.

Her scared words resounded in his head over and over. His chest ached as the sentence played on a loop, torturing him as he sulked to the Uchiha compound.

"I can't kiss a man that I'm afraid of." 

◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇─ ◇ ─ ◇ ─ ◇