Reincarnation

I know I said it was over... Turns out I'm a liar.

Enjoy.

✕  ✕  ✕  ✕  ✕

"Perhaps some are destined for tragedy. Unable to outrun their fate, no matter the lifetime. How many lifetimes does it take to get it right? How many chances does one receive? However many, I'm pleased that I've gotten to love you in each of them. It could only ever be you..." she whispered gently, smiling through her tears before repeating, "It could only ever be you."

✕ ✕ ✕ ✕ ✕

Indra Otsutsuki: The Beginning

Indra saw a form laying near the banks of the stream, arms stretched behind their head and legs sprawled out. He walked closer and noticed it was a woman, her eyes were closed and her long black hair was splayed out around her. He stood over her and said, "What are you doing here?"

She opened her lids, revealing a beautiful pair of pale colorless eyes. Indra had never seen a human with eyes like these, only his uncle. Immediately, he was intrigued by her. She sat up and said, "Oh... I was just enjoying the sunshine. You wanna join me?"

Indra cocked his head at her friendliness, but sat beside her anyway. They watched the water pass through the stream quietly for a few moments before he asked her name.

"I'm Sumire!" she responded with a kind smile. "And you are?"

"Indra Otsutsuki."

Years passed since their first meeting, and the two became close friends. Indra harbored feelings for her that he didn't quite understand. She was so kind, so benevolent, so lovely. She was everything he longed to be, and for that, he cared for her very deeply. Yet, he was deathly afraid to tell her.

Indra kept these feelings to himself until he was certain he could no longer hold it in. As they walked through the streets of the village, Indra leaned close to her and asked if she would like to go watch the stars from the stream where they first met. She enthusiastically said yes and the two set off for the special place outside of town.

"The night sky is so beautiful," Sumire whispered.

Indra noticed the moon reflecting off of her pale eyes and in that moment, he knew he was in love. His heart began to pound harder, threatening to escape his chest if he didn't tell her how he felt. He chewed on his bottom lip for a few moments before Sumire noticed his predicament.

"Indra? Is everything okay?"

He nodded sheepishly before saying, "It's just... I– I love you, Sumire."

"You... What?" she asked, her eyes wide.

He raked his hands through his hair and scrambled, "Even if you don't reciprocate my feelings, it doesn't matter. I'll continue to care for you. You're so special to me."

"Well," she whispered, "what if I do?"

Indra swallowed the knot in his throat and hoarsely asked, "Do you?"

Sumire chuckled, raising her hand to Indra's face. She stroked his cheek with her thumb and revealed, "I love you as well, Indra. From the moment we first met... You captured my interest."

Indra's face was ghostly pale as he listened to her words. He searched for her hand and held it tightly in his before saying, "I don't know what to do now..."

"Kiss me, you idiot," Sumire responded, laughing. 

After that, the two spent much of their time together, getting to know one another deeper and falling in love with every day that passed.