14

Seraphim renters the world of the waking, slowly. Sensation spreads through her limbs, starting with her legs and climbing upwards. She becomes aware of the thin sheet she's clutching to her chest and a weight draped over the dip in her waist. She buries her face further in her arm, caught between the desire to open her eyelids and greet the world and the desire to try and retreat back into the dreamless abyss.

Sighing, Seraphim opens her eyes. She has never been able to fall back asleep once she's awakened. She blinks a few times allowing her eyes to adjust to the onslaught of sunlight. She brushes the hair away from her face and glances down and discovers the weight to be Angel's arm.

Seraphim turns in his arms. A smile tugs at her lips. Angel always looks so serene when he's sleeping. His closed gaze is tilted up, as if looking to something greater while his lips are parted slightly, exhaling soft breaths. Angel's hold on her is protective as if he's guarding her from the world.

She grazes her fingers over his jaw and the curve of his neck. She rests her head on his chest, placing her ear over his heart. Through the gray fabric covering his chest, she can hear the rhythmic thumping of his heart.

"I'm still alive if that's what you're worried about," Angel says, his voice groggy from sleep. He reaches down, grabbing the hand resting on his chest. He brings it to his lips and kisses her palm.

The action draws a smile from Seraphim. "Morning," she mutters, tilting her head back to get a better look at him.

"Morning," he returns.

"You didn't have to stay," she says, lowering her gaze.

Angel chuckles softly. "You're welcome."

She playfully rams her palm against his shoulder. "Don't be a jerk." She hopes the insult will mask her embarrassment.

Angel accepts the hit with a grin. He stares over her head at the sun-filled sky. "What time is it?"

Seraphim gropes around for her phone. She flips it open. "8:13"

"Damn." Angel rolls onto his back, removing his arm from around Seraphim. "I have to go. I've got a meeting with the board at 9:30." Despite his words, he lays back and shuts his eyes for a moment.

Seraphim sits up, letting the sheet pool around her hips. She runs a hand through her hair. It catches on a couple knots, forcing her to tug harder. The bed shifts, she peers over her shoulder to see Angel sitting up. She watches as he stands, stretching out his stiff arms.

Angel walks around the mattress until he's standing over Seraphim. He bends down, pressing a lingering kiss to her forehead. His hand caresses her cheek. "Take care of yourself today."

Seraphim covers his hand, flashing a cheeky grin. "You better get out of here. You have another glorious day to live as CEO."

Angel chuckles. "Smartass."

***

Angel plops down in the leather office chair, tossing the file of paperwork down on the desk. The antique clock on the wall declares the time to be two minutes after eleven. The meeting wasn't supposed to last this long, but as usual he had to deal with bickering board members and egos that surpass intelligence.

He whirls the chair to the side, drumming his fingers against the desk while gazing out the glass windows. The height allows him a superior view of the city.

Angel's thoughts are broken by a knock. He shifts his gaze to the glass door that separates his office from his PA's. He waves her in.

"You have a visitor, Mr. Fairwood," Molly informs him with a polite smile.